Draco Pistol?

This is a discussion on Draco Pistol? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I'm considering buying one for home defense and a fun range toy... Sorry if there's already a thread here about it, didn't come up ...

Thread: Draco Pistol?

Draco Pistol?

So I'm considering buying one for home defense and a fun range toy...
    Sorry if there's already a thread here about it, didn't come up with anything in the search.

Anyone have any input on these guns? I've heard they're mil-spec stamped romy ak's with an uncut underfold rear trunion. Beyond that I don't know a whole lot about them.

I'm interested in hearing about the reliability, any suggested modifications, and maybe pics of yours if you have one.

I'm planning on putting a tapco intrafuse handguard on, as well as the strikeforce pistol grip. I'm not sure if I want to get the krinkov bell shaped brake or the AMD-65 brake with the 2 large holes on top, though I hear the muzzle flash is worse with the krinkov style brake. (I kinda like the fireball )

So if you had one... what would you do to it that wouldn't require a tax stamp?

2. Remove Ads

Cant help you other than saying that putting a pistol grip on a pistol is a major no-no. Look up the law

Putting a vertical foregrip on a pistol is illegal without a tax stamp as it converts the pistol into an AOW. Replacing the pistol grip that comes on the gun with another pistol grip is NOT illegal. I'm familiar with the NFA laws (as familiar as someone who's not an ATF agent can be anyway) and would not be in violation of any of them, thanks :)

Try re-reading my post and see if maybe you understand it better the second time. I know I'm not the best with words, but I thought I was fairly clear.

Distinguished Member Array ErnieNWillis's Avatar
    Not sure but if you install a longer flash hider could you install an under folding stock or would it still be considored a short barreled rifle?

If I installed a flash hider (permanently as in pinned and welded) that was 4.1" I could install a stock legally since it has a 12" barrel already, but then I could never go back to being a pistol. I'm not really looking to go rifle (carbine?) or SBR with it but it is a possibility for the future. If I do go SBR with it, I'll put on one of the short Ace stocks, but like I said, I'm trying to stay away from NFA for right now due to the expense.

The shop i used to work in, we sold several in 7.62x39 and in .223. Never saw any in 5.45. everyone who got one seemed pleased with the performance. The importer/distributor had some kind of a recall that I can not remember. Also, the ATF was looking at sales records to see if anybody was buying multiples. A little over a year ago, they were selling at $425.00 to $450.00 new. Lots of panic buying, but still excellent range reports. Try Google for Romanian Draco pistol. hope this tidbit helps, john

Ex Member
    www.classicarms.us sells the Draco that requires MO modifications to be legal. Is it accurate? No way! Is it practical? No way! Is it fun? OHHHHHHHHH YEA!

A friend has one. He had a Krinkov style break on it and was loud and had flash. Lots of fun and got heads to turn on the range. He had a Tapco SAW pistol grip on it, the forend was stock. He ended up making it an SBR anyway.

Reliability? Ummmmm. It's an AK.....
    Try not to screw up so bad they name the screw up after you. (Station 15 saying)

NRA Certifed Instructor

Links