Range day (fun on the farm)

This is a discussion on Range day (fun on the farm) within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Me and a buddy went out to his farm and had a couple hours of range fun Sunday. My first order of business was to ...

Me and a buddy went out to his farm and had a couple hours of range fun Sunday. My first order of business was to sight-in my new-to-me 1948 Remington Fieldmaster pump .22 (had one when I was a kid and couldn't pass up one in GREAT shape in the store a couple months ago for a real good price). Got the old open iron sights sighted in on the first mag tube and was hitting head shots on the squirrel spinner target consistently from 50 yards. We had a BLAST with it. More fun than you can imagin. I LOVE IT as much as the one I had growing up.

Since I had lots of 22 ammo with me, I took my H&R 922 snub nosed 9 shot 22 revolver. Practiced DA trigger pulls and was very surprised at the accuracy from 15 yards. Tons of fun. Shot my little .22 short semi-auto too. I had pop guns when I was a kid that were louder and had more recoil too. Seemed like shooting a toy. It was free to me, so I'll plink with it but that's it.

I took my Ruger SP101 (2.25" bbl with spurred hammer). Practiced DA shooting with full load 158gr .357 mag rounds. What a hand cannon!!! I've concentrated on my snubnosed revolver practice this summer and I've been very surprised at the developed accuracy. Greatly improved. I LOVE THIS GUN!!!!!

Shot the XD40sc and it's consistent and reliable. Very accurate from most any distance.

Shot my Taurus 709, and strangely had to adjust the sights on it (after 1,100 rounds since I bought it). Now 1,200 rounds. I haven't touched the sights since I bought it. I adjusted the rear sight all the way up and all the way to the right and it was right on target. Strange. I've had NO issues with it, so I tried an experiment. I always practice with Federal or American Eagle FMJ. I've heard these guns didn't like Winchester White Box. Halfway through my 100 rounds, I tried a mag of WWB I had with me. I had a couple failure to extracts. Went back to Federal (without cleaning) and no problems at all. Oh well. I won't shoot WWB in it (I usually don't even buy WWB, but I bought some just to try this).

My buddy has been working on his LCR all summer and his accuracy has greatly improved. He has the LCR, and old S&W Chief's Special, Beretta Tomcat .25, and a Kel Tec .380. He asked me which one he should carry at the beginning of the summer and at that time he was shooting the Beretta Tomcat better than anything. Now, he has improved with his LCR so much that's the one I recommended hands down for all his carry needs. And a much better SD round too.

Lots of fun. He had some creative targets and we had a blast. It's nice to get out in the middle of nowhere and enjoy a nice day with friends and guns. Especially the plinkers.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Sounds like a fun day.
    Now you have some cleaning ahead of you.

I did it all Sunday as soon as I got home...I'm OCD about cleaning as soon as I get home, but that's part of the whole gun experience I enjoy. A good time check out your weapon closely.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I know the feeling.

GM
    It sounds like you had a very nice time. Congrats.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sounds like fun! I've never has an issue with WWB ammo, but apparently some do. At least you know to avoid it in the Taurus.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Links