Firearm Politics

Firearm Politics

This is a discussion on Firearm Politics within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; While browsing through the various sections of this message forum I came across an article of some fella that ended up taking some guys life ...

Firearm Politics

While browsing through the various sections of this message forum I came across an article of some fella that ended up taking some guys life with, if I remember right, a Mini-14. I thought it was a shame of all the crap the guy went through simply because of the weapon he used.

I think it's a shame that firearms like the AK-47 & AR-15 are legal, and yet, when somebody uses them in self defense the people are treated differently than if somebody was to use an 870 shotgun. I can only imagine around here, if somebody used a typical hunting shotgun or rifle people would be saying, "oh, thats too bad." but if somebody happened to have an AK-47, "dear god, they must of been looking for trouble, look at the gun they have!!"

I guess with all of my ranting I do have two questions for everybody:

- How can this treatment be changed, and the firearms become more accepted by the general public?

- What rifles could be used for self defense that provides quick follow-up shots that might still be alittle "less aggresive" in the eyes of the uninformed public?

I know, I know... I might be but I am quite curious to read some of the input you guys may have.
    Beretta 92FS

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    Well, when it comes to self defense, the media and sheeple dont have enough knowledge of the subject to discern the difference. Just ask Dick Cheney about the reaction over his accidental shooting. I see your point though. I'm sure you've heard it said, "better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6." There's probably no way to change general public perception over the firearms used for defense, but perhaps we can provoke change through persuing the high moral road and being the best citizens we can. Gun advocates should embody the essence of compassion while at the same time defending our lives and the lives of others without apology or regret.
    Just my .02....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Assistant Administrator
    The sad thing is the anti brigade judge an event less by the need for legitimate self defence (by whatever means) but more on what was used if a gun.

They reel in dismay if ''just a handgun'' - but let it be a hyped up ''assault'' rifle and all hell breaks lose - despite the fact that the gun was used legitimately to defend and save a good guy's life.

An attack on one's life requires self defence - period. The manner in which that is achieved should not be under scutiny, whether knife, handgun, rifle or a darned great truck!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I agree completely. I am just amazed how hung up people are by finding out what firearm was used. It shouldnt matter; only if it was a justifiable shooting. Sure, a decent lawyer should be able to get you out of the crosshairs of the system, but at what cost? It's amazing how expensive that sort of situation could cost a person.
    Beretta 92FS

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tros
    While browsing through the various sections of this message forum I came across an article of some fella that ended up taking some guys life with, if I remember right, a Mini-14. I thought it was a shame of all the crap the guy went through simply because of the weapon he used.

I think it's a shame that firearms like the AK-47 & AR-15 are legal, and yet, when somebody uses them in self defense the people are treated differently than if somebody was to use an 870 shotgun. I can only imagine around here, if somebody used a typical hunting shotgun or rifle people would be saying, "oh, thats too bad." but if somebody happened to have an AK-47, "dear god, they must of been looking for trouble, look at the gun they have!!"

I guess with all of my ranting I do have two questions for everybody:

- How can this treatment be changed, and the firearms become more accepted by the general public?

- What rifles could be used for self defense that provides quick follow-up shots that might still be alittle "less aggresive" in the eyes of the uninformed public?

I know, I know... I might be but I am quite curious to read some of the input you guys may have.
    If we are thinking of the same incident, the rifle was an AC556 - the selective fire version of the Mini-14. When the shooting happened, the gun was on full auto.

The guy defending himself had the rifle because he worked for a dealer.

He went through hell defending himself - both from the bad guys and from the prosecutor.

Matt

If you defend yourself with a "scary black gun" the prosecutor will take advantage of that when showing the gun to the jury. Much more difficult to make a wooden (or pink) gun appear scary.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Seems like it's conditioning - the media want to know what gun and then place some importance on whether it's a 'good' or 'bad' gun and the sheeple say Baaaa.
    Wish I knew of some way to change this perception but it is just so ingrained. My pickup with an AR-15 in the back window gets lots of looks and comments -- with a 30-30 Winchester, nobody seems to notice (I do live in a somewhat rural area).
    Years of Assault-something gun in the news have taken their toll....

Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson
    If we are thinking of the same incident, the rifle was an AC556 - the selective fire version of the Mini-14. When the shooting happened, the gun was on full auto.

The guy defending himself had the rifle because he worked for a dealer.

He went through hell defending himself - both from the bad guys and from the prosecutor.

Matt
    Yes, thats the exact incident I am talking about.
    Beretta 92FS

I truly believe it is a form of conditionning. It plays into the anti's approach that the object itself is somehow "evil". For the sheeple and the media to believe that some firearms are "more dangerous" than others is a silly concept.

Links