2 Week Vacation Coming Up And I Plan To Pack.

This is a discussion on 2 Week Vacation Coming Up And I Plan To Pack. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; We are heading out from Minnesota at the end of the week through the following states: WI, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, CT, MA, MD, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

We are heading out from Minnesota at the end of the week through the following states:
    WI, IL, IN, OH, PA, NY, CT, MA, MD, WV, VA, NC. I think that is all of them. I have permits for MN, FL, PA, NH, UT, CT, so I should be covered for most of the states I am traveing to or through. Some of these were are just passing through, and not stoping like NY, IL, WI.

Any input on what to look out for along the way as far as carrying would be helpful. I plan to take my laptop along so I hope to occasionaly get the opportunity to post how it is going as we travel.

You know when you think about it, it is sad that we have to be so careful of all the law changes from state to state. We should be able to carry where and when we please. Maybe some day.
    Last edited by havegunjoe; June 26th, 2006 at 04:12 PM.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - best IMO is to research each and every state - use http:www.handgunlaw.us - and print off the essential statute info to keep with you.

If stopped it sometimes turns out some cops are not totally up on reciprocity etc and so a ref sheet is handy to show.

I did this coupla months back as I was in CO and OK.

Just in case you are travelling on PA turnpike - let me know - you could stop at Bedford Interchange for a burger and we could meet.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Hey Joe, Have fun.
    I know what you're dealing with. My wife and I are leaving Friday for N.M. and traversing a fair number of states in route, returning a different route to visit even more.

If you're leaving about the same time, keep your eyes open for 2 blondes in a black Toyota Prius loaded up inside with luggage, then beep and wave (not likely but who knows) as we will be traveling some of the same states.

Joe. I would keep your weapon and ammo separated and cased in the trunk of your car until you get through Wisconsin and Illinois. You just never know what might happen in either of those two states if you were caught with a CCW. Possibly, even lose your CC ability in Minnesota. Make a smart decision and follow the state laws you'll be traveling through and the ones that will allow you to carry with your current permit(s).

Edited to add: And meet Chris for a burger, and let us know how that goes.
    The power of the future is in its ability to inspire the present.

Thanks P95

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry
    Joe - best IMO is to research each and every state - use http:www.handgunlaw.us - and print off the essential statute info to keep with you.

If stopped it sometimes turns out some cops are not totally up on reciprocity etc and so a ref sheet is handy to show.

I did this coupla months back as I was in CO and OK.

Just in case you are travelling on PA turnpike - let me know - you could stop at Bedford Interchange for a burger and we could meet.
    That is exactly what I did. I've made my self a book to refer to for the different states we pass through. I would definately like to meet you in person, I just don't know when we would be in your area. Also don't know how I would contact you if I could stop. We are on a bit of a time table the first week.

Thanks though.

Joe
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Assistant Administrator
    Joe - it was only a wild thought! I know full well how travel schedules can be - often not leaving much spare time.

All I had thought was if it worked and bearing in mind folks always need gas and food stops - it might happen that you are travelling thru PA East on the Pike (70/76) - and would know day before approx what timing would be etc. The Bedford interchange is an east stop point and only 11 miles from home for me.

Just in case - and obviously zero pressure at all - I'll PM you my phone # - so you have it in case it might work.
    Chris - P95

Be VERY careful traveling thru MD (and NJ if you do).
    Sig P220ST; P229DAK/.40; P229TT/9mm, P228 (CPO) & P239/9mm; S&W 617; Ruger MK-II/Pac-Lite; Stag AR15 Middie; M1 Garand & M1903A3; Armory SSR-85C-2/AK47; Yugo M59 SKS; NRA Life Member & Eagle Scout.

“The hero is commonly the simplest and obscurest of men” – Henry David Thoreau

Sounds like a great trip with a high percentage of pro-carry states considering you are heading East!

Have a great time!

Plan to do just that 229DAK.

Quote Originally Posted by 229DAK
    Be VERY careful traveling thru MD (and NJ if you do).
    I'm avoiding NJ like it has the bird flu. Have to go to MD to visit relatives but am staying the bare minimum amount of time. Sad you have to plan a trip around which states you can trust, and which ones you can't.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Be sure to carry a good flashlight with you along with your weapon. If you are staying in hotels check the doors and widows for any possible way that a BG could breech them. Try to stay in hotels in which the doors are located internally and not to the outside. If you get a bad vibe about a hotel don't stay there. As a precaution, you may want to go buy some of those First Alert mini-security alarms to afix to the door. The audible alarm could give you a few precious seconds. You can find these at Wal-Mart sold in packages of thre for around $10.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Managed to connect with the net so I thought I'd give you all a brief update while I can. We've made it all the way to Gettysburgh and what an inspiring place. Traveled through Indiana and Ohio without a hitch but what a pain it is to go through Ohio with your gun holstered, on your person, in plain sight. I think I did it OK but again, what a pain in the you know what.
    We are off to MD tomorrow so the gun goes in the lock box. We will only be staying overnight then out and on to CT where I have a permit. I packed all the time we've been here in PA. I hate not carrying.

Got to go, I will report again when I can re-connect.

Joe

Assistant Administrator
    Glad trip goes well Joe - glad too you enjoy hassle free carry in my home state

I expect you have had a real busy schedule and in fact I was busy as all get out too yesterday, and today - so doubt we could have managed anything even had you had time.

I was on a bike run today thru MD and into WV - felt totally nekkid (and p'oed) having to divest of my protection because of darned MD!

My bike buddies know I carry (only a few local to me here) and why I usually refuse MD trips but this time one said - ''You'll just have to leave the piece'' - I did but hey - hate it!
    Chris - P95

Chris

I am told the WV governors office tried to get a reciprocity agreement with Penn, but couldnt get any movement out of your governor's office.

Get on their butts..probably wont do any good, but you could try.
    "I Don't Want To Socialize With A Pinko Liberal Democrat Commie. Say What You Like About Republicans. We Stick To Our Convictions. Even When We Know We're Dead Wrong." Denny Crane:

Assistant Administrator
    Good idea Lawrence - if it's Pitt at fault then a butt nudge is needed.

Heck - Pitt should accept anyone else seeing as we are about the least demanding of training here - which often prejudices other states from accepting us.
    Chris - P95

Another connection to the net so am posting an update. Gettysburg is unbelievable!!! Took a tour of the Springfield Armory today, also very worth the trip. Hated to be in MA, NJ, MD, NY even for a brief time. Back in CT where I can pack so that is good. Will be here till Sunday then heading back south. Should be good in VA and NC for awhile, that will also fell good. It is weird not having a gun on my hip.

More to come later. Hope all you packers are well.

Joe

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links