When friends know you are into guns

This is a discussion on When friends know you are into guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It seems like all of a sudden all of my friends that know I have several guns (we've gone shooting together, etc.) are wanting to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When friends know you are into guns

When friends know you are into guns

It seems like all of a sudden all of my friends that know I have several guns (we've gone shooting together, etc.) are wanting to know if I want to buy some of their guns. Has anyone else experienced this? In the last 2 weeks, a co-worker brought me a M11/NINE to shoot and wanted to sell it to me for $400 (never shot before). It had the rifle upper and bolt on stock as well as supressors for the pistol and rifle. It had one short mag and four 32 round mags. I took it out and never could get it to even chamber a round or cock. I'm sure it is something simple, but I passed.

Today, I got a call from a friend and he dropped off a Beretta 96D in .40cal and a S&W 22S target pistol for me to shoot to see if I'm interested in buying. The Beretta was a local Police trade-in and has a LOT of carry wear. Very light and smooth DAO trigger and factory trijicon night sights. Only 1 mag. He wants $300 for it, but I just can't see that. Maybe $200 just because I really don't need it or want it.

He didn't mention a price on the S&W target 22. It looks new but is about 10 years old. In the original case, but only 1 mag. Any thoughts on a good price on that?

Anyway, it's funny that people are coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden. If I can get a really good deal, why not. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these weapons and prices. Thanks.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

2. Remove Ads

no thoughts on the guns...or pricing, but I know what you mean about friends wanting to sell you guns. My friends do it all the time. just yesterday a friend wanted to sell me a Colt Mustang or M&P...I had to pass, nit interested in either, but yeah I know what you mean.
    KAHR CW45, RIA 1911 Officer, S&W Sigma 9MM, Savage 1907 .32cal(BUG)

Some of it probably has to do with the economy and they know you are into guns.

I had a guy show me about 20k worth of pistols last week. When he was finished he made the comment that people come to him with guns all the time and he just can't help but give them a home. LOL

Sounds like a few people were born under a lucky sign ;)

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guantes View Post
    Some of it probably has to do with the economy and they know you are into guns.
    +1. Lots of people are selling stuff these days.
    Mark Twain:
    The government is merely a servant -- merely a temporary servant; it cannot be its prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong, and decide who is a
    patriot and who isn't. Its function is to obey orders, not originate them.

Distinguished Member Array LanceORYGUN's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post

Anyway, it's funny that people are coming out of the woodwork all of a sudden. If I can get a really good deal, why not. Just wondered if anyone had any thoughts on these weapons and prices.

It is the economy. All economic indicators are pointing to things getting far worse than they currently are. There were 473,000 new layoffs last week, and over 500,000 the week before. Homes are plying up, and cannot be sold. Home inventories are now at a 30 year high, and there are no buyers.

Bank failures are still running at the same level as last year, and on-going home foreclosures continue to be a huge problem.

You might want to save your money. Even cheaper prices may be ahead. But if you want to do your friends a favor, that is perfectly fine.

Things could get extremely ugly in our country in another year or two. I think that people are starting to realize that.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    Lots of people are selling stuff, and if they know you like guns and they have them, then you're a potential buyer. My opinion is that it is a win-win, because you can get some guns at a great price while helping someone out of a tight spot. I bought my hunting shotgun, my elk gun, and a couple of nice pistols that way!
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Economy's bad; you're a potential buyer. Probably no more than that.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Economic downturn = people selling stuff to make ends meet. I suspect your friends might just be looking to convert a few "possessions" into $$.
    "Bad spellers of the world - untie!"

DAV Life member, NRA Life member

Springfield XD 9mm Sub-Compact
    Taurus PT111 Millennium Pro 9mm

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MinistrMalic View Post
    Lots of people are selling stuff,
    Based on years of experience, wait till Christmas. People ALWAYS dump guns then.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I've made it a point to casually mention my interest simply for the chance to pickup something at a good price. I forever hate the comment "Gosh, I sure whish I had known..."
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

It's too bad but this recession (yeah, I know technically it's not anymore but find anyone who knows that in their daily lives) is a long recession, and people have to sell their stuff to survive.

I seem to have the opposite situation. People are coming to me trying to buy a gun - cheap. It came in handy a few months ago when I wanted to get rid of a SigPro 2022, a KT PF9, and a 995 carbine. However, I'm now down to the minimum with six 45's, three 9mm's and one carbine, none of which do I want to sell.

Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    He didn't mention a price on the S&W target 22. It looks new but is about 10 years old. In the original case, but only 1 mag. Any thoughts on a good price on that?

$150 tops for a 22S. "Target" is a bit of a misnomer; it has a bull barrel and adjustable sights, but that's about it.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links