QKShooter Goes To Court Today. - Page 2

QKShooter Goes To Court Today.

This is a discussion on QKShooter Goes To Court Today. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Interesting post QK, thanks. The exception quoted in QK's post above is clear that the only allowable reason to carry a gun in a vehicle ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Senior Moderator
    Interesting post QK, thanks. The exception quoted in QK's post above is clear that the only allowable reason to carry a gun in a vehicle in PA is for the purpose of going target shooting.

I am under the impression that some states allow you to carry a gun in a vehicle as long as it is not readily accessible. You don't need to be going to a range, etc.

Although, if you ask me, and nobody did, under the Constitution we have the right to carry a firearm without a permit - the Constitution is our permit.

Well I'm preachin' to the choir, but I feel some better now.

OD*
    Although, if you ask me, and nobody did, under the Constitution we have the right to carry a firearm without a permit - the Constitution is our permit.
    Amen.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Quote Originally Posted by WJP9
    The officers comments were my exact thoughts/questions throughout your entire story---where is the range ammo? Targets? Hearing Protection?...
    When I first started shooting handguns, I remember I was not well-equipped. My shooting buddy let me borrow pistols and ammo, initially. For months, I rented various handguns to try them out, and only purchased ammo at the range. It was weeks after my 226 arrived that I settled on a range bag and hearing protection. The range I used required that I buy the ammo and targets, there (the only range in the area), and offered ears and eyes if you needed them. So, if stopped while enroute to the range, I would have had no ammo, no targets, and no ears. I realize the kid's situation is not mine, but my point is that he might really have been just starting out, and not yet fully-equipped. If he was meeting a friend, he might have been relying on his friend for equipment. He was open about everything, and was able to produce the stickers. Maybe his story isn't entirely logical, but how many kids are, especially when they are just starting out? Just a thought.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

The line in this thread that really got to me, was that not even LEO's are allowed to carry in the courtroom!! Holly Batman..... talk about a can of worms, in my opinion. Never heard of that before.. Here abouts... the carry in all courts and infact, they even have LEO's (they might be retired LEO's) carry in the Dept of Motor Vehicles offices, as I saw one yesterday when I was getting a new license. (He was carrying a .357 revolver) Infact, while I was sitting at the counter, being taken care of, a guy next to me was getting pretty upset that he couldnt get a license because he didnt have a Birth Certificate nor other ident. He was getting pretty loud, and the LEO had to come over and have a talk with him. If I am correct, several years ago, some guy got into a shooting match inside a DMV office, and from then on, that is when they started having security.

Well, I too think the guy was using the "going to the range" excuse, but still, glad he made out okay. No Foul, No Harm, I guess.

John
    John
    XD40 Service
    S&W638 Airweight .38

Kahr CW9
    Hi-Point 995 Carbine

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar
    Only Deputy Sheriffs are allowed to carry firearms in court. Police officers carry by professional courtesy ONLY. I even heard of a hospital emergency department that banned LEOs from carrying!

Whether that kid was lying or not, I care not. He let the law work for him in the end. It is up to the state to prove guilt, not the defendent to prove innocence. The judge must either have been reasonable, or felt that current law SUCKED. At any rate, the judge did his job.

Makes me think of jury nullification, whereby a jury can find someone NOT GUILTY if they think the law is unfair.
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

Change laws, don't break them.

In my humble opinion, the kid was trying to get round the carry law. He had the loaded magazine easily accessible and no, I don't believe it counts as a container.

As to the explaination about not having his LTC, I personally believe he had just not bothered yet. He had the gun only a couple of weeks.

So, technically, he was illegal. Now, some posters here were pretty unforgiving on the 'Felons and guns' thread, but are saying that this guy should be let off. Personally, I agree. He just needed a scare. He obviously passed a NICS check and his demeanour to the officer seems to be polite and respectful.

However, the overall point is that he should learn from this and move on. It's not up to us to follow only the laws we want to. It is up to us to change laws via our elected representatives. Whether you agree with the law or not, if you take that out of the equation, its pretty clear to me that he was trying to work his way around it.

He was very lucky. Not sure if illegal carrying in PA is a misdemeaor or a felony, but either way, he would not have been carrying for a while and may not been able to own a gun again.

Still, all in all, exactly the right outcome.

Kid was probably thinking "Im not a criminal, it's not really breaking the law, besides if I get caught I will just use the range excuse".

Well he got caught, and while the judge made the legally correct ruling I hope it has scared the kid into doing things properly in the future.
    First rule of a gunfight: Carry a gun

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    Sounds like you guys in PA need to clean house a bit. The kid probably was bending the law a bit. But then again the law he was bending was an unconstitutional, steaming pile of liberal dung. The kid was within the law, made every attempt to be cooperative with the officer, and in return he gets molested by this self rightous cop. As you can tell this situation burns me. I'm glad I live in Colorado, cause that's just a bunch of B.S.

Administrator
    All Firearm laws are a direct violation of the Pennsylvania state constitution just FYI.

Quote From The PA. Constitution concerning firearms.

Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like the kid had all the right answers, and I'm glad the case went his way. Having said that I sure hope the kid learned his lesson.
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    Right to Bear Arms
    Section 21.
    The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the State shall not be questioned.

Shall not be questioned?
    Wow! It doesn't get any more unambiguous than that ... too bad we're no longer a nation of laws.

It's unfortunate that this even went to court. This is what happens when the people allow the government too much power.

Senior Member Array older gunner's Avatar
    Thanks for an interesting post, QK. I agree with Blueyedevil. It's a shame people have to put up with all the crap about having a gun. I'm lucky to live where I do, but even Florida still makes you jump through some hoops to be permitted to carry a firearm. I could not live in some parts of "the land of the free!" Thanks again, QK.

Administrator

Thumbs up Older Gunner

I agree 100% with you older gunner & You're Quite Welcome!
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    Sounds like this was a LEO out to get the kid.
    He sent his buddy to the range to check it out?
    You have got to be kidding.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links