Fiancee's First Range Time

This is a discussion on Fiancee's First Range Time within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well, it took longer than expected to get her to go with me, but I finally took my fiancee out to the range for the ...

Well, it took longer than expected to get her to go with me, but I finally took my fiancee out to the range for the first time this evening! I know that most people say I should have put her in a womens' class and left to let her do her own thing, but she hated that idea, so that was a no go. She didn't want ANY class that I wasn't in, as a matter of fact. Anyway, we rented a Ruger .22 rifle and Ruger .22 pistol, and I brought my CZ-82. She had to watch the safety video at the range, of course, and I'd already taught her the four rules, so when we got to the range I taught her the absolute basics:

Controls: Where the safety, mag release, and slide/bolt release are and how to use them

Loading: How to load the mags and put them into the firearm

Stance\Grip: Weak leg forward, lean forward, thumbs-down two-handed grip on pistol

Aiming: The dot at the end of the barrel goes in the valley on the rear sight, focus on the dot

Shooting: Breath out, squeeze trigger

Unloading/Reloading: Empty mag out, full mag in

These were all VERY quick and I wasn't doing much in the way of correcting if it wasn't a safety issue--I let her go through 100 rounds of .22 (minus two that I shot showing her the rifle and pistol) and 50 rounds of 9x18 through the CZ-82 (minus two that I shot since that's how many were left over :P). She was good with the rifle, and VERY good with the .22 pistol for her first time out (as best as I can tell, since I'm new to it too--she was better with the .22 pistol than I was). She did decide that she hates the CZ-82 because it's hard to aim (short distance between the front and rear sights) so that means she won't use it which means we get to go gun shopping :)

Her target for the .22 pistol:

One of her targets for the CZ-82 (she was aiming for the head):

A short video of her shooting the CZ-82 for the first time:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8CzRzTMtVpw

Good for both of you. My wife is similar. After a year of serious shooting she is starting to talk about taking a shotgun or pistol class.

FWIW, on the CZ 82 it looks like she may be using too little trigger finger and flinching, assuming she is right handed. Pretty common to folks when they start out. My wife and I both did it. Try to get her to put more of the pad on the trigger finger to fix the too little trigger finger issue. It causes the gun to roll down and left on a right handed shooter. Dry firing is good for working on flinching, and so is practice.

Keep it up.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

She looks like she's doing quite well for a first timer. I'd say that she'd be able to protect herself at home rather easily.
    Congrats for taking her to the range...keep it up.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Congrats to you both. Congrats to her for learning to shoot and being able to protect herself.

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    Excellent job.

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    She did good. Don't ever make her mad!!!!!

GM
    I think you made a very good deal
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Congrats on your engagement first of all. Congrats on getting one that is gun friendly 2ndly. Third congrats on the first time to the range.
    Looks like she's doing pretty good, even with the CZ I'd say. I don't know if she's ready to go gun shopping tho. Maybe try and find a way to try out a couple more (or few more if possible) guns. If you/she feels there is such a short distance between the sights on the CZ-82, then she will end up with a gun that will probably be too big for her to carry in the end. IMO she should first try a couple other guns if possible, and then when shopping, look for something she will be comfortable carrying, try and shoot one, and then if she thinks that it is do-able, buy it and get some practice in.

Good luck to you both.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Thanks everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    Good for both of you. My wife is similar. After a year of serious shooting she is starting to talk about taking a shotgun or pistol class.

FWIW, on the CZ 82 it looks like she may be using too little trigger finger and flinching, assuming she is right handed. Pretty common to folks when they start out. My wife and I both did it. Try to get her to put more of the pad on the trigger finger to fix the too little trigger finger issue. It causes the gun to roll down and left on a right handed shooter. Dry firing is good for working on flinching, and so is practice.

Keep it up.
    I've talked to her about this and she is willing to keep practicing on the CZ-82, but she doesn't feel comfortable with it. Still, we'll practice :)

Quote Originally Posted by tkruf View Post
    Congrats on your engagement first of all. Congrats on getting one that is gun friendly 2ndly. Third congrats on the first time to the range.
    Looks like she's doing pretty good, even with the CZ I'd say. I don't know if she's ready to go gun shopping tho. Maybe try and find a way to try out a couple more (or few more if possible) guns. If you/she feels there is such a short distance between the sights on the CZ-82, then she will end up with a gun that will probably be too big for her to carry in the end. IMO she should first try a couple other guns if possible, and then when shopping, look for something she will be comfortable carrying, try and shoot one, and then if she thinks that it is do-able, buy it and get some practice in.

Good luck to you both.
    Thanks! She's actually not really gun-friendly--she was raised to be terrified of guns because they are dangerous, and so she has been terrified of them all her life. They still make her nervous, but I think she's slowly opening up. I've been gently nudging her toward the light for the past three years and finally had a break-through ;). She seems to be in denial about having fun at the range, though, but I saw the smile when she saw that headshot group she did with the .22, and when she drilled those dots on her first tries.

We will be renting/handling guns at the range for quite some time, I suspect, unless she manages to pick one up that she magically loves and then we get to start shopping for that. As far as being too big to carry it--if she can hold it up, shoot it well and it will fit in her purse she doesn't mind it being big. I know all the bad things about carrying in a purse, but the girl won't wear a belt for nothing, and the pants she likes to wear aren't exactly holster-clip-friendly, so unless I can get her into a shoulder rig for open carry it's going in her purse. Nothin' I can do about it.

That's great. Congrats on having her go with you. It's always fun to take your wife/fiance/girlfriend to the range and have a good time shooting together.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

If you get lucky like I did it will go like this. One day at the range she will look at you and say something like, "I really like shooting, but I hate your gun. I need to find one I can shoot."
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Quote Originally Posted by chiefjason View Post
    If you get lucky like I did it will go like this. One day at the range she will look at you and say something like, "I really like shooting, but I hate your gun. I need to find one I can shoot."
    Well, I got the "I hate you gun. I need to find one I can shoot" but I'm still workin' on that second part :P

Links