The Runaway Jury

The Runaway Jury

This is a discussion on The Runaway Jury within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; To put it mildly - I am outraged. I’d been reading the book called The Runaway Jury. It’s about jury tampering in a case against ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

The Runaway Jury

To put it mildly - I am outraged. I’d been reading the book called The Runaway Jury. It’s about jury tampering in a case against a tobacco company, claiming complicity in the death of a smoker (from lung cancer). You may recall that whistleblowers in real life had reported that tobacco companies actually calculated the composition of cigarettes to hook more people, knowing the increase in risk of lung cancer. So . . .

We were sitting around doing nothing (that’s ok sometimes) watching TV, and this movie comes on called The Runaway Jury. Of course, I wanted to watch it - and it was confusing. They kept talking about guns and didn’t talk about tobacco. It turns out that the movie was “adapted” from the book, and “gun manufacturer” was substituted for “tobacco company”. The characters were cast and played, obviously, to attract scorn to the gun people and sympathy to those suing the gun company.

Someone played a shell game here. The point of the movie is, clearly, that a person who manufactures and sells guns is responsible for bad things done with the product. As in - General Motors produces an automobile that is perfect and does exactly with it is intended to do - and LEGALLY. Then some perpetrator uses the automobile to support a bank heist and intentionally kills an innocent bystander in attempting to escape. Since GM manufactured the automobile, of course, it must pay big bucks for the damage caused by people using it, even though the vehicle has zero engineering or manufacturing defects.

Well, obviously, this is horse hockey and it stinks. Someone in Hollywood decided to convert a good book into anti-gun propaganda. You should hear some of the script! Reference is made to “an assault type pistol”. Huh?! The plaintiff’s counsel tries to make the point that “that’s the type of gun preferred by criminals”. Hello?! I myself prefer that “kind”, and I am and have been a law abiding citizen. Of all the shooting friends I have, there are cops, ex-cops, former servicemen, and all “kinds” of people like me who have never been involved in military or police but love to shoot and protect ourselves and our families. Sorry, no “criminals” here!

Unfortunately, there are those otherwise intelligent people who have convinced themselves that “guns are bad”, and reason and fact will not change them. Perhaps in their considerations to ban guns they should remember what happened when the government banned alcoholic beverages. I’m still feeling angry and outraged but should stop spewing. Sorry. Had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening - reading.

Maybe we should be able to sue attorneys who help/defend dirtbags who go on to commit additional violent crimes?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Sure, do away with Constitutional rights entirely.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Maybe we should be able to sue attorneys who help/defend dirtbags who go on to commit additional violent crimes?
    It's called "complicity," right?

So, Oboe, this is the first movie that you've noticed is a tad slanted?
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    It's called "complicity," right?
    Sure, I'm complicit because I was assigned to defend someone ACCUSED of murder. The right to counsel should be torn from the Constitution. How about also removing the right to trial by jury? Make government all powerful.

I raised a legitimate issue and hoped for some intelligent discussion. I'm still hoping.

Quote Originally Posted by oboe View Post
    Unfortunately, there are those otherwise intelligent people who have convinced themselves that “guns are bad”, and reason and fact will not change them. Perhaps in their considerations to ban guns they should remember what happened when the government banned alcoholic beverages. I’m still feeling angry and outraged but should stop spewing. Sorry. Had to get it off my chest. Thanks for listening - reading.
    I try to avoid most stupid folks as they irritate me to no end so I will only address this last paragraph specifically. Anyone who is shown facts and reason and still chooses to rely totally on false information and irrational emotion is far from intelligent. You can ignore them or swat them like the meaningless ant's that they are. Only problem is, the latter is the only solution and it's illegal. In the end, you're the only one getting hurt if you let them work you up.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Those "stupid folks" are frequently in positions of power. Their views won't change, but they must be engaged in dialogue in very intelligent and persuasive fashion. The public mood has been moving toward RKBA, and that movement needs to be helped along without let up.

Someone played a shell game here. The point of the movie is, clearly, that a person who manufactures and sells guns is responsible for bad things done with the product.
    It should be said that the change in plot was not a grand Hollywood anti-gun conspiracy. The movie was in development for a long time and was originally going to be about tobacco like in the novel. However, the movie "The Insider" came out far enough ahead of it that they felt they had to change the plot or the movie would be viewed as doing the same thing over again. Hence, it was fear of box office failure that led to the change.

Now don't get me wrong, their ignorance on guns is deplorable and there's little doubt that when they decided to change the plot that guns provided them an easy and ideologically comfortable alternative. However, it was plain old profit motive that drove them there, not the desire to do a hit job on guns.

Thanks, torgo1968, I have no reason to question your report. That said, I also have no doubt that those involved had no moral chafing at doing the deed on guns. It's still BS no matter how you slice it.

Thanks, torgo1968, I have no reason to question your report. That said, I also have no doubt that those involved had no moral chafing at doing the deed on guns. It's still BS no matter how you slice it.
    No doubt. Just no need to ascribe to malice what was driven by pure greed. Cars, toxic waste, tobacco, they'd all been done. So knucklehead Hollywood exec, who learned everything he knows about guns from Rosey O'Donnell, proclaims, "Eureka, everyone hates guns," and off they went.

If a person made a movie out of sheer greed, and the movie attacked an entire industry unfairly, the person who made the movie is malicious. No, I don't think of it as a "vast Hollywood conspiracy", but the producers and actors knew damned well what they were doing. Frankly, I could use the money - but I wouldn't take it to be any part of that warped film. If I did, then my greed would over ride what I believe to be just plain wrong and libelous.

Senior Moderator
    The hypocrisy of Hollywood and many of it's "stars" is astounding.

Many / most of Hollywood's top-earning films involve lots of guns and shooting and violence in general. They make money off it hand over fist.

Perfect example - The Brave One starring Jodie Foster. Ms. Foster makes millions portraying a woman who goes around killing for revenge. And she's vehemently anti-gun.

Sad, really.
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The hypocrisy of Hollywood and many of it's "stars" is astounding.

Many / most of Hollywood's top-earning films involve lots of guns and shooting and violence in general. They make money off it hand over fist.

Perfect example - The Brave One starring Jodie Foster. Ms. Foster makes millions portraying a woman who goes around killing for revenge. And she's vehemently anti-gun.

Sad, really.
    Hypocrisy or an intentional piece of propaganda w/ the agenda to show firearms in a bad light? Typical anti-RKBA tactic, IMHO. Only show guns used by BGs and LEOs -- and make the BGs look really bad.

OTOH, if se played a role where she was a woman at home alone and used a firearm to save herself, from a rapist/killer, that would be hypocrisy, IMHO.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    It's a "movie."

It's reality, just like the good guy dodging hundreds of bullets while dropping 25 guys without reloading his 8-shot 1911.

And yes, Oboe, I do have heartburn about how our "justice" system works. Sometimes, it just isn't justice.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    There is a movie of the same name (which by the way was on TNT Sunday) about a firearms compnay.

"A juror on the inside and a woman on the outside manipulate a court trial involving a major gun manufacturer. " John Cusack, Gene Hackman, Dustin Hoffman etc..
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links