Finally got a safe!

Finally got a safe!

This is a discussion on Finally got a safe! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; It's been WAY overdue and now that I have one, I can't believe I waited so long to buy one. Not only for the peace ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Finally got a safe!

It's been WAY overdue and now that I have one, I can't believe I waited so long to buy one. Not only for the peace of mind I now have but these things are VERY cool! It's called Republic by Hollon safes out of Texas and it's the RG-39 model. Of course it's made in China (as most safes this price are) and it's very similar to the Diamondback safes with a few extra tweaks. I had the LaGard mechanical lock installed as opposed to the electronic lock. It's a little slower and not as convenient but I should never have any issues with it. The only real criticism I have is it only has two holes for anchor bolts and they are placed more toward the center of the safe. For one this size, I wish it had anchor holes in all four corners. There is also no hole drilled for an electronic dehumidifier. No big deal as I don't have an outlet where I placed it and I put a silica gel dehumidifier similar to the Eva-Dry E-333 model that should work well. Here's a link that gives a better description and features:
    http://www.hollonsafe.com/safes/RG-39.shtml

I picked it up through Valuesafes for $1299 delivered and the service was top notch. I actually had it within 5 days from the date of order and this included a weekend. I lucked out as I bought it on the last day of their sale and when the new sale started the next day, it went up $300 but now they offer a free keypad upgrade. Here's a link if anyone is interested.
    http://www.valuesafes.com/hollon_gun_safes.html

I ended up building another shelf for it that is cut out for my shotguns and a smaller cutout for my centerfire rifles. I have a couple of shotguns that are very long which made the top shelf have minimal room. It's good enough for magazines and paperwork but not really good at utilizing for handguns. I also installed some LED puck lights that really work great. These run off batteries and the light has two levels of brightness and up to 30 degree of directional output that lock in place and swivels 360 degrees. They can either be attached with velcro (supplied) or with a screw which I opted to use. I figured with the screw there would be less chance of the fabric sagging and it would be much easier to replace batteries when needed. As everyone else knows, it doesn't take long to fill it up especially with guns that have scopes with large objective lenses. It looks like I don't have much room for more guns so I guess I'll have to either get another safe or quit buying guns. Looks like I need to invest in another safe :rock:! I'm also going to have to get a pistol rack or make one to better store the handguns.

Overall, I'm very pleased with it and it seems well made and a lot of safe for the money. I definitely don't have buyer's remorse. Here's some pics of my new toy.

If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Distinguished Member
    Very nice. You are a well armed man.

Maybe you can get a pistol rack of some sort that attached to the door?

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    Very nice

Nice! I really like the lighting.

one word........Awesome! Good for you! We appreciate the pics for sure.

Good looking safe, as well as your collection of weapons, very nice

From what I can see, nice A5.
    Good people do not need laws to tell them to act responsibly, while bad people will find a way around laws. Plato

Very nice! Congrats!
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Now that's a nice safe, and what a collection...
    When is your next purchase?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Nice collection and nice safe. Don't think anyone is going to make off with any of those.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Distinguished Member Array pinklady's Avatar
    Very nice. Great collection.

Remember to keep an eye on your EVA-DRY, Mine last about a week in the summer months, and about 3 weeks in the winter months. Beyond that it is a good unit and I have no problems with rust. Just FYI my safe is in the garage so your mileage may vary depending on where your's is at.
    Kansas Concealed Carry Website

NRA/Ks. Firearms instructor
    Cheif Range Safety Officer

very nice safe! and collection!
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Wow! That's a lot of guns to have not had a safe yet. Congrats on the new purchase, it looks really nice!
    Guns don't kill people, people kill people...and chimps do, if they have a gun

Thanks for the compliments! I am very fortunate to have acquired the collection I have and even more fortunate for nothing to have ever happened to them. The wife and I always worked different shifts so someone was always home and it never seemed that important to get one. It was so much more fun getting another gun LOL! When we started working the same shift, I became a nervous wreck knowing no one was at home and definitely felt vulnerable. It's nice not having to worry so much about theft (although still possible just not as easy) and in the event of a fire, I do have the extra barrier of protection. It's also nice not worrying about coming home and risking the chance of being met with one of my own loaded guns.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevew View Post
    From what I can see, nice A5.
    I think the one you're seeing is my Remington Model 11. It was my grandad's gun and has a Bishop stock on it and of course, the "Dial-A-Duck" choke. The one to the left though is my A5 in a 12 Mag. The A5's are great guns and probably my most favorite. I love their style and just the solid sound of the action working...I really need more of these!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Now that's a nice safe, and what a collection...
    When is your next purchase?
    I tried to explain to the wife that I really needed a new gun to go in my new safe. She just looked at me...I knew I overplayed my hand. I'll probably have to wait another 4-6 weeks but I do have my eye on a LH Browning Stainless Stalker with the BOSS in a .300 Win Mag. My LH Featherweight is feeling singled out and could use some similar company.

Quote Originally Posted by doctruptwn View Post
    Remember to keep an eye on your EVA-DRY, Mine last about a week in the summer months, and about 3 weeks in the winter months. Beyond that it is a good unit and I have no problems with rust. Just FYI my safe is in the garage so your mileage may vary depending on where your's is at.
    Thanks for the heads up on this. I've been checking it pretty often trying to get an idea of how long it's going to last before I need to "recharge" it. Mine is on the first floor so I don't have much fluctuation in temperature and humidity like you probably experience but I sure don't want to be complacent and risk possible issues.
    If you have the organ donor box marked "Yes" on your concealed carry permit, you may want to consider more training.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links