.22 mag.. best shot

This is a discussion on .22 mag.. best shot within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I spotted a coyote outside my fence this morning and took a shot with my .22 mag. Unfortunately, I hit the 1 in 10 shot ...

Thread: .22 mag.. best shot

.22 mag.. best shot

I spotted a coyote outside my fence this morning and took a shot with my .22 mag. Unfortunately, I hit the 1 in 10 shot and hit a link in the chain link fence. I'm sure he'll be back, so I wanted to know with that round, other than a head shot, where is the best place to hit it for a quick kill? Lung/heart? and will a .22mag penetrate the shoulder to get there? I've heard they are around central Va., but this is the first one I've seen.
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

2. Remove Ads

Head or heart/lung shot should do the trick. Hard to tell how quick a kill it would be, you didn't specify the distance. Penetrating the shoulder would somewhat depend on distance and round. I would go with something like WW, FMJ rather than hollow points to get the penetration for something the size of a coyote. Are you shooting a rifle or pistol?

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Coyotes aren't particularly tough and chances are that a shot anywhere will probably do it in, but maybe not quickly. If I just wanted it dead, I'd go for a heart/lung shot and let nature take its course. It wouldn't take long. A .22 mag may glance off the skull, leaving one angry coyote to return.

Keep in mind that coyotes are bad to have rabies, so take care in handling any dead ones (gloves, trash bags, hole in the ground).

I popped several up in WA with my .223. That tends to drop them on the spot!
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

We have a ton of them in SW Virginia. A 22 mag in the rib cage right behind their shoulder would do the trick. I'd probably opt for my Marlin 1894C Lever Action .357 Magnum. A JHP .38 Special +P out of it would be plenty. I've started using my Ruger P95 9mm for groundhogs and coyotes if it is 40 yards or so. I've got just as good a chance hitting with it as I do any of my rifles from that distance.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I got a few with the 22LR head shot dose best ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Quote Originally Posted by boatail View Post
    I spotted a coyote outside my fence this morning and took a shot with my .22 mag. Unfortunately, I hit the 1 in 10 shot and hit a link in the chain link fence. I'm sure he'll be back, so I wanted to know with that round, other than a head shot, where is the best place to hit it for a quick kill? Lung/heart? and will a .22mag penetrate the shoulder to get there? I've heard they are around central Va., but this is the first one I've seen.
    Coyotes. Last time I took a shot at one, I missed too (AR15). Should have used my red dot sight instead of the laser. Just like anything.......be prepared to take subsequent shots. Using a pistol, or rifle? Scoped rifle.......possibly the head shot. Pistol and open sights, hit 'em in the heart/lung area IMO. If they are coming around your place, there's a reason. Find out what it may be.
    "1 in 10 shot" hitting the chain link.
    You know......sort of funny in a way to me. One of my best friends told me about the shot he took at a coyote early one morning a few years back. He had a scoped rifle (30-06) and he propped the muzzle on the kitchen window ledge and looked through the scope...(the window was open with screen). Had it dead on in the scope....thing was, the window ledge (aluminum) was in front of the muzzle while he had a clear shot looking through the scope. After taking the shot, most of the bottom part of the window frame detached from the house, and the coyote was only scared away instead of downed.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Rod View Post
    He had a scoped rifle (30-06) and he propped the muzzle on the kitchen window ledge and looked through the scope...(the window was open with screen). Had it dead on in the scope....thing was, the window ledge (aluminum) was in front of the muzzle while he had a clear shot looking through the scope. After taking the shot, most of the bottom part of the window frame detached from the house, and the coyote was only scared away instead of downed.
    Ouch. That left a mark. So focused on the scope he lost his awareness of the muzzle. I'd hate to have to explain the kitchen window to my wife. She'd never let me shoot at animals through the window anymore.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

I have a few neighbors too close to break out the "big guns" so I'm using a Marlin .22 mag with scope. The range is only about 50yds. I'm using Rem. 40gr. pointed soft points. I don't want to just break it's leg is why I'm asking about penetration. I would think it should penetrate ok at that range out of a rifle ( as long as I don't hit the fence again, that is )
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

At that range, out of a rifle, they should do what you seek. I would try for a quick follow up, just in case.

Links