One-handed mag reload?

This is a discussion on One-handed mag reload? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a couple of weeks I will have surgery on my left (weak) hand. The surgeon told me this morning that my hand/fingers will be ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: One-handed mag reload?

One-handed mag reload?

In a couple of weeks I will have surgery on my left (weak) hand. The surgeon told me this morning that my hand/fingers will be in a cast for about 6 to 8 weeks. (He also suggests that I not shoot with or use the hand as support...) In essence, using my left hand to rack the slide, etc. on my Glock 22 is a no-no according to the doctor. I am aware of alternatives for racking the slide, such as table top, shoe, between the knees, etc. I've practiced these techniques with varying degrees of success, none of which I would like to really depend on in an "emergency", but they are doable. My question is on reloading the magazines with one hand. I built a jig with a beveled base that I place in a vice that holds the magazine level rather than an angle. That way I can load the magazines casually at home. Very slow one handed, and not practical for field or range.

Have any of you "developed" a one handed "field/range magazine reload" technique that you would like to share? Or for that matter, racking the slide should the slide NOT lock back on the last round fired. Between the knees would be my last option!

Thank you for any insight

Respectfully, Kyle
    Be responsible for your own actions.
    ---
    http://www.calguns.net/

2. Remove Ads

I have a method I use for working the slide, should it not lock back. I use the heel of my off side shoe. I lift my heel off the floor then I hook the front sight/slide on the heel of my shoe and press the frame forward. It works on even soft soled shoes like tennies. I find it much more positive that a pocket edge or belt.

Thanks Guantes, I'll give that a try too. (Last time I tried the belt thing, I snagged a bit of "overhang flesh" with the rear sight---not fun).

Kyle
    ---

kpw
    I use my belt for one hand racking. Loading mags is a pain but the most stable way for me was wedging the mag between my feet and squating down to load it. You'll look ridiculous but it works pretty good.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

Let me know what you think.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The method I'd use is called: "Take a friend shooting!" Let him fire off some rounds in exchange for reloading mags.

My son sent me a Youtube clip a while back where a guy loaded mags and racked the slide one-handed and very quickly. He had the full mags standing on a bench, shoved the gun down on the mag to seat it, and quickly pulled the gun back--then forward and let inertia rack the slide. It worked for him. Haven't tried it yet myself.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Gauntes, the front sight on the Glock slants rearward so slides off the shoe heel (Tennies), however it does work with the rear sight. Will take practice.

OldVet, I think I'm a bit too old and slow to get up enough inertia to rack the slide. Interesting concept, I'll have to try that in a bit.

Kyle
    ---

If the slide is locked back, inserting the mags with sufficient force will inertia release the slide.

Drop the mag out as you go down to one knee (strong side knee on the ground). place the pistol with a now empty mag well behind your strong side knee and pinch it there. then use your strong hand to insert a fresh mag. if you did not lock back on last round you can hook your rear sight on the heal of your shoe very well from this position. It takes a bit of practice and it is slower than 2 handed but it is better than throwing an empty gun at a BG. Also remember (I have friends who forget when we practice this and other drills) You do not need to stand up to re engage your target, take the shot from your knees.
    God invented cops so that firemen could have heroes too!

Jdivence, some good points, thanks.

Kyle
    ---

Eject the old mag, stick the pistol back in the holster, insert the new mag, send the slide forward either using the slide release or by hooking the rear sight on something. If that "overhanging flesh" makes using your belt troublesome, try using the edge of your holster (this works best with kydex, rather than leather).
    Chris Upchurch - Suarez International Staff Instructor
    Upcoming SI Classes in South Carolina:
    Close Range Gunfighting - March 17-18
    Zero to Five Feet Gunfighting - April 14-15

Check out the movie 'Way of the Gun'. It's not the greatest movie, but it shows some good firearms tactics, including one-handed reloads.
    "To my mind it is wholly irresponsible to go into the world incapable of preventing violence, injury, crime, and death. How feeble is the mindset to accept defenselessness. How unnatural. How cheap. How cowardly. How pathetic." Ted Nugent

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM.

You may get some use out of this:

Howdy all.

For one handed chambering I like to use Skateboard Tape.

Skateboard tape? you ask. Yes indeedy. I put it on the top of the slide, behind the Ejection Port, and in front of the Rear Sight. Depending upon the surface area, and amount of space between the Ejection Port and the Rear Sight you can have considerable territory for getting a grip.

When I run One Handed Reloading Drills I chamber by placing the top of the slide against the side of my leg and push downward. The Skateboard Tape allows the Slide to gain a purchase on my trouser leg and I proceed to chamber the round.

I just thought I'd throw that out there in case it might help someone. Take care and stay safe.
    Biker

I would be concerned with the possibility of the trouser material getting caught in the slide. Maybe not likely, but a possibility.

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    youre fortunate...you still have your strong hand...gun between the knees upside down can be quick...love guantes method...i am a big fan of the slide lock and it has become very automatic for me...if you are loading at a table the gun can be plopped down upside down and the mag inserted then work the slide with any method you choose...

i would guess quite a few here have practiced one handed at the range just in case...i try to make it a habit once in a while to run weak hand & strong hand including mag changes...practice in your home with empty mags...youll find a method you like...

mag changes are as important as any other function and should be practiced just like dry firing and drawing...include tactical reloads also while retaining the mag....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links