Loctite sight?

Loctite sight?

This is a discussion on Loctite sight? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Pre cursor: I bought my M&P 9c when this particular store was running a promotion "free Trijicon night sights with M&P purchase." I was a ...

Thread: Loctite sight?

Loctite sight?

Pre cursor: I bought my M&P 9c when this particular store was running a promotion "free Trijicon night sights with M&P purchase."

I was a different (local) gun store today trying to get my DCAEK kit installed in my M&P 9c. The store said that they could not install the system because when I bought the M&P the store that I bought it from used Loctite on the new sights, and they could not get the screw out. Well the gunsmith at Gander Mountain could, and installed the system.

The GM gun smith was angry that the store used Loctite, and did not use Loctite when he re-installed those night sights after the DCAEK kit install. Now, the original store that sold me the gun is HIGHLY regarded in firearms. I have bought all my guns from them, and I know many of them very well. When I talked to them they stated they use Loctite because sometimes the rear sight falls out/

Question: How many are aware of Loctite on their sights? Is this lack of Loctite on my rear sight now going to really cause it to fall off? Not to say that I'm wary of the sight now, but it does make me go hmmmmmm.
    "Being armed gives you options"

Kimber Pro Carry II; S&W M&P; S&W M&P9c; Walther PPS: Ruger SP101 357: Kahr P380 w/ CT; NAA 22mag; Rock River AR-15; NEF Pardner Pump; Benelli Nova

This is a "your mileage may vary" kind of thing. It's not going to fall off suddenly. Most likely what will happen is that you may see your groups opening up or drifting in one direction. If and when that happens, remove the screw, clean up the threads with a wire brush and a solvent, then re-install with BLUE Loc-Tite.

Yes, I've had sights come loose on guns, and Loc-Tite is the standard cure in most cases.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

It depends on the design of the pistol and which recipe of loctite is used! One smith used red loctite in the dovetails on my P226 when he did my sights. When I did them all I could find was a medium strength blue. And in general loctite is not a big deal to get off, just judiciously apply a little heat and the stuff will release.
    As far as what will happen if you dont use it, that again depends on design. I have seen an old P226 that didn't get loctite and during a rather enthusiastic range session the front of the slide warmed up to the point that the front sight went missing.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yep. I use red Loc-Tite whenever I do sights.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

In some cases, sights have been know to fall off of slides. However, not always.

In most cases, when I fit a set of sights, they're so tight that the screw is un necessary and just becomes a decoration on the rear sight. In the event that I gat a rear sight that is loose prior to my fitting it, I'll generally put a small drop of Loctite on the dovetail sides to hold it in place. I'll use a little green Loctite on the screw to keep it from backing out, but not make it nonservicable.

Most of the time the screw can be torqued enough to hold the sight in place, but most allen wrenches aren't fitted to the screw well enough and will strip the screw or the head of the wrench when torqued. We have a special set of allen wrenches in the shop that are hardened tool steel and ground perfectly to fit the screws so we can get maximum torque on screws.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    This is an application for the BLUE veriety. The RED is a final assembly-type of thread lock.
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Loctite. Blue is medium strength and red is more permanent than blue. Green is for press fit items.
    Sort of odd in a way, and thinking about it.......I don't do many sights, more scope mounting than anything. Loctite is for fasteners. Used on threaded items and such. First I've actually heard about it being used on something like a rear dovetail sight. I'd think superglue would work just as good or better. Thing is, some pistol manufacturers, and some sight manufacturers just haven't got their tolerances right (apparently), nor put their heads together on it and offer an industry standard for each specific make and model. With a drift adjustable rear dovetail sight that won't fit properly, I'd actually be more inclined to put a shim on the bottom of the dovetail.....maybe .002" or so before I went and depended on any sort of liquid (thread locker). Maybe that's just me.

I've been told Ruger DAs have a reputation for the pin holding the rear sight on to drift loose. On my Alaskan, it nearly fell out the first time I went shooting. The guy I bought it from used red Loctite...said he wasn't confident blue would suffice, and all it would take to undo it would be to put a soldering iron against the pin for a moment until it heated enough to burn the Loctite.

I will say that it is holding fine hundreds of rounds later...wish my hand was as strong as the Loctite! For a small pin, I think it sounds reasonable. A guy on a Ruger forum recommended just bending the pin slightly and reinstalling, which ought to work well too.

Quote Originally Posted by bsms View Post
    I've been told Ruger DAs have a reputation for the pin holding the rear sight on to drift loose. On my Alaskan, it nearly fell out the first time I went shooting. The guy I bought it from used red Loctite...said he wasn't confident blue would suffice, and all it would take to undo it would be to put a soldering iron against the pin for a moment until it heated enough to burn the Loctite.

I will say that it is holding fine hundreds of rounds later...wish my hand was as strong as the Loctite! For a small pin, I think it sounds reasonable. A guy on a Ruger forum recommended just bending the pin slightly and reinstalling, which ought to work well too.
    Pins and Loctite? Again...I'm confused apparently as to the many uses of Loctite. All may work fine with the application, but the removal (when necessary) sounds like quite a lot to go through. Applying heat to loosen things isn't always a good thing or easily done. If it was a straight steel pin, it could have probably been replaced with a roll pin. Not saying the Loctite application isn't working out good in certain instances.....just that I'm thinking that it seems to be more of a quick fix where there are other alternatives that are probably just as solid performers for the application, and more easily undone when needed.

Sponsored Links