Anyone here shoot SASS?

This is a discussion on Anyone here shoot SASS? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've always loved the Old West (one too many John Wayne movies as a kid,) and I'm thinking about getting involved in SASS and wondered ...

Thread: Anyone here shoot SASS?

Anyone here shoot SASS?

I've always loved the Old West (one too many John Wayne movies as a kid,) and I'm thinking about getting involved in SASS and wondered what brand of gun y'all used? I like the history connected with the peacemaker, but they are way out of my price range

Is Cimarron Arms any good?

2. Remove Ads

I have a pair of Ruger Vaqueros in .45 LC, but I suspect the Cimarrons would be just a good.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Ape
    Cimarrons are good guns to be sure. I have a couple of Heritage .45LC's that are great running guns along with a Rossi .45LC lever action that I love.

I've shot a SASS Match or two.

I'd suggest you look hard at the Ruger New Vaquero in .357 Magnum for your handgun. Later, if you want to shoot a certain class you can move up in caliber as needed.

My shotgun is a double SxS sans ears. The big money was spent on the rifle, caliber 38 Special, maker Uberti, action 1866 Lever, capacity ten rounds. If I had it to do over I don't know that I'd change anything. I was of course led into the SASS game by some very competent CAS shooters that have managed to win a match or three. I could go with a Pump Action Shotgun, but at what cost? You can learn to be pretty fast with a SXS, and while you won't beat the Pump Action, you can be quick enough to catch up in the handgun and rifle portions.

If you get into the game more you can always find a buyer for your gear if you want to change calibers. The 38/357 calibers are quite popular and it's easy to find bullets for. It's also gotten easy to find the .45 LC too, thanks to the Cowboy Action Shooting popularity, but the gamers are mostly running the 38's.

SASS, what old IPSC shooters do on a Saturday because they busted up their knees "running and gunning".

Biker

I have shot SASS since 1988. (#316 Life member). IMHO the best guns going today for SASS is the USFA's They are totaly made in the US, Customer service is great, Quality is outstanding. The Redeo's are the same material Etc as their more expensive guns the only differnce is the finish. I toured the Factory in 2003. I have put over 10,000 rds through mine without any problems. Bob James (http://www.jamesguns.com) did the action job on the guns when I first got them and they are still going strong. FWIW I shoot the .45 Colt caliber guns. Lightly loaded.

SASS, what old IPSC shooters do on a Saturday because they busted up their knees "running and gunning".
    I actually went the othe way as I am now shooting IDPA style of shooting instead of SASS because of heath reasons and phyically problems.

The Auto loaders are easier to shoot then the Single Actions with stiffing hands.

An excellent resource is the Single Action Shooting Society's site:
    http://www.sassnet.com/
    If you go to the Sass Wire, their discussion forum, you can find out enough information to keep ten men busy for a lifetime.
    My advice?
    Look up your nearest affiliated club, go to a shoot or three, watch and listen.
    You'll find a great bunch of folks with a wonderful cameraderie and a vocabulary of their own: incurable romantics who dress as authentically or as marginally as they please, who research an alias as much or as little as they like (we know one another, in most cases, by our alias and sometimes not at all by our given Christian name!) -- and it's common when they find out you're interested, to hand you loaner gear and run you through a couple stages after the match or on a side range to get the feel of it.
    Try different revolvers, different rifles, watch the shotgunners work their magic; do not spend one red cent until you do these things.
    Prepare to have an absolutely delightful time! It's the most fun you can have with your clothes on!
    SASS 27332 by the way.
    "Deine Papieren bitte?" or "ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ !"
    (Choose only one)
    NRA Endowment Member
    "I bark at no man's bid. I will never come and go, and fetch and carry, at the whistle of the great man in the White House no matter who he is." -- David Crockett

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Royal Barnes is my SASS alias, badge number 5792 Life. I shoot Colts and an original Winchester '73 in 44-40 and an original 1887 Winchester lever action shotgun in 12 gauge. All are loaded with black powder. I have been shooting CAS since 1995. If I were starting today I would probably pick Ruger New Model Vaqueros or the USFA Rodeo, a Uberti '73 Winchester replica and a good double barrel shotgun. A good shooter with a pump '97 is hard to beat but the likes of Red River Ray and Three Cut, shooting a double, can leave them in the dust. Been there. Seen it done. There are a number of clubs in Florida and they are listed on the SASS website. Go to a few matches, observe and ask questions. WARNING-- It won't become a passion it will become an obsession!!

Can you use .22lr? Just wondered, I'm in the midst of rebuilding a Herbert Schmidt model 21. Our club holds some SASS matches.

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Kids, we call them Buckaroos, can use them but not adults. Sorry.

Hey, the weekend was way hectic and I lost track of this thread. Thanks to everyone for the advice and encouragement. I already do Civil War Reenactments, and this seemed like a logical expansion for me. I don't expect to place (not for awhile) but I'm just interested in having fun and getting to mimic Matt Dillon!

Are these outfits authentic? http://www.westernemporium.com/mens_oldwest_outfits.php

Links