Take Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea

This is a discussion on Take Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK this is shamelessly copied from another forum: ---------------------------------------------------------------------- Taking Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea I'm sure we've all heard ...

Thread: Take Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

Take Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea

OK this is shamelessly copied from another forum:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Taking Action to Allow Import of 100,000 M-1 Rifles from Korea

I'm sure we've all heard about the 86,000 M-1 Garand rifles and 22,000 M-1 Carbine rifles that the South Korean government is attempting to sell to a US importer.

There's very little detailed information available about this issue, but here's what we know so far: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html

Before we can take action to get this import facilitated, we need more information. It's not clear which government agency is resisting the imports, and it's not even clear whether the South Korean government has the right to sell these rifles - there's plenty of evidence that they might be lend-lease rifles that are actually US Government property.

That said, let's get a letter-writing campaign going to gather factual information as to why the import was denied. Here's a letter I sent to my two Senators and my Representative. Please feel free to excerpt or steal the whole letter for your purposes.

Please report back any concrete information you receive from your congresscritter so we can determine the next steps that should be taken.

Contact Info for Representatives https://writerep.house.gov/writerep/welcome.shtml

Contact Info for Senators http://www.senate.gov/general/contac...nators_cfm.cfm

My letter:
    Senator XXXXXX,

In the last few months, the recreational shooting community became aware of plans for the South Korean government to sell over 100,000 US-manufactured World War II era rifles to an importer in the United States. This importer would then presumably offer these rifles for sale to law-abiding collectors and shooters in the USA.

A recent report from the Korea Times indicates that the Obama administration has blocked their import for reasons that are unclear (linked here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html)

It’s important to know that there is plenty of legitimate precedent for selling M-1 Garand and M-1 Carbine rifles to law-abiding citizens who can legally purchase firearms. The Civilian Marksmanship Program (CMP, http://www.odcmp.com/), a federally-chartered corporation that serves youth through gun safety and marksmanship activities, partially finances their operations by selling such rifles to citizens from US government stocks.

The “Korean” rifles belong to the American people. They were carried by our fathers, grandfathers, uncles, brothers, cousins and friends, cornerstones of “the greatest generation”. These firearms served admirably in the defense of our freedoms, and the federal government should actively facilitate their return to the United States so current and future generations of law-abiding citizens can enjoy and honor their history.

I request that you speak to the Obama administration to determine which government agency has blocked the import of these historic artifacts so efforts can be made to move forward with the importation of these firearms. There is some speculation that they are part of a government lend-lease program, which may mean they have always been US Government property, and could be sold quite handily through the CMP.

We in the millions-strong shooting community appreciate your staunch support of Second Amendment rights, and hope to hear a statement from you soon in regards to this issue.

Sincerely,

XXXXXX
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

FYI. For those wishing to reference the Korea Times web link in the second paragraph of the sample letter text, here is the corrected web link address. Please note that the referenced web link fails to work. The link below does correctly get to the news article:

A recent report from the Korea Times indicates that the Obama administration has blocked their import for reasons that are unclear ( linked here: http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news...205_71329.html ).
    The link text finishes with: "/www/news/nation/2010/08/205_71329.html".
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    Sent!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I'd like to have one of each. My dad carried the carbine in WWII.
    Retired USAF E-8. Avatar is OldVet from days long gone. Oh, to be young again.
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I would like to buy one. If would be cool to have a little bit of (surplus) history.

Administrator
    Already running and merged a few times, This one is closed.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Links