.380 in a .9mm gun

This is a discussion on .380 in a .9mm gun within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Probably a dumb question, but, since a .380 round is a .9 mm that is 2mm shorter than a .9mm, can it be fired from ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: .380 in a .9mm gun

.380 in a .9mm gun

Probably a dumb question, but, since a .380 round is a .9 mm that is 2mm shorter than a .9mm, can it be fired from a .9mm fire arm? similar to the way you can fire a.38 special from a .357 magnum revolver.
    I just traded in a Ruger lcp on an a Kahr cw9 and I have a few .380 rounds left over. Any help is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

Do not fire a round in a weapon that is not chambered for said round.
    Better to die on your feet, than to live on your knees.

Ex Member
    Yes it will work. It has been done MANY times without incident but just to be safe...............

Quote Originally Posted by Jackle1886 View Post
    Do not fire a round in a weapon that is not chambered for said round.
    What he said! I wouldn't try it.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Agreed 100% ! Donate the rounds to someone with a .380.
    Semper Fi

It might fire, but why take the chance??? You don't want to end up the subject of an "Epic Fail" post. Give it to a buddy, go to the range with him and shoot it up, trade it, sell it...just don't do something you know the weapon or round isn't designed for.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    my line of thinking is that it may well fire, but fail to eject properly, thus not cycling the next round JMHO????????

You may find me one day dead in a ditch somewhere. But by God, you'll find me in a pile of
    brass." - Trooper M. Padgett
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

"......I have a few .380 rounds left over."

For "a few" rounds, I would not even bother trying it.

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    No thanks, sounds like a range incident waiting to happen.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Don't do it. If the gun is not chambered for the round, don't try to fire that round in the gun. That's a good way to lose a gun and get yourself hurt in the bargain.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Howdy!

As a Firearms and Range instructor I have seen Officers during training unintentionally load the wrong caliber 9mm into a 40 S&W and 40 S&W in to a 45 ACP. Most of the time it is a fail to fire, but on occasion a round will discharge. When the round does discharge it usually sounds like a squid load and we stop the shooter immediately from firing another round. (Squid load is a low powered round that may not have enough power to exit the barrel making it dangerous to fire another round behind it as a round could be lodged in the barrel possibly causing a catastrophic failure of the weapon upon firing another round. A squid load will have more of the sound of a pop than a normally round fired in the right caliber). Don't really see this with factory ammunition these days but did occur with reloads we used, and why take a chance. All the discharges involving the wrong caliber (9mm into a 40 S&W and 40 S&W in to a 45 ACP) have not caused any damage to the weapon but it is not a recommended practice, and you are not going to get good results down range either. In other words DON'T DO IT!!!

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chiefneon View Post
    Howdy!

As a Firearms and Range instructor I have seen Officers during training unintentionally load the wrong caliber 9mm into a 40 S&W and 40 S&W in to a 45 ACP. Most of the time it is a fail to fire, but on occasion a round will discharge. When the round does discharge it usually sounds like a squid load and we stop the shooter immediately from firing another round. (Squid load is a low powered round that may not have enough power to exit the barrel making it dangerous to fire another round behind it as a round could be lodged in the barrel possibly causing a catastrophic failure of the weapon upon firing another round. A squid load will have more of the sound of a pop than a normally round fired in the right caliber). Don't really see this with factory ammunition these days but did occur with reloads we used, and why take a chance. All the discharges involving the wrong caliber (9mm into a 40 S&W and 40 S&W in to a 45 ACP) have not caused any damage to the weapon but it is not a recommended practice, and you are not going to get good results down range either. In other words DON'T DO IT!!!

"Happy Trails"
    chiefneon
    Good advice, also with the case being smaller in diameter there is the distinct possibility of a case rupture that could cause damage to the firearm or the shooter.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

GM
    No way that I will fire a round in a weapon that is not chambered for that caliber. And do not forget that revolvers and semi-autos are very different.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Agreed, don't do it. The chamber and cartridge need to seal correctly or you are asking for a problem. Sqib - with one "b" - by the way.
    There's something happening here
    What it is ain't exactly clear
    There's a man with a gun over there
    Telling me I got to beware

Senior Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaser261 View Post
    Probably a dumb question, but, since a .380 round is a .9 mm that is 2mm shorter than a .9mm, can it be fired from a .9mm fire arm? similar to the way you can fire a.38 special from a .357 magnum revolver.
    I just traded in a Ruger lcp on an a Kahr cw9 and I have a few .380 rounds left over. Any help is appreciated.
    Rimless cartridges headspace off the front of the case. If you chamber a .380 round in a 9mm chamber, the extractor is the only thing holding the case against the breech face.

Extractors aren't built to do that. Damage can result. Case failure is a possibility, which could damage the gun and the shooter.

It's a bad idea, IMHO

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links