Taurus prices

Taurus prices

This is a discussion on Taurus prices within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Is it just me? Or has anyone else noticed the prices of all Taurus products climbing? I was snubbie shopping, lately; and the Taurus snubbies ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taurus prices

Taurus prices

Is it just me? Or has anyone else noticed the prices of all Taurus products climbing?

I was snubbie shopping, lately; and the Taurus snubbies were actually higher than Ruger or S&W. What gives?

I noticed that the Taurus PT1911, that could be had around $500, a year or so ago, are upwards of $700, now

Did I miss the memo, or did Taurus move up a notch in the gun universe?
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    woah...where were you???
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Since I don't like Taurus I guess they can raise the price as high as they want without upsetting me too much. LOL
    Glock G22 .40 Cal.
    SA 1911 A-1 .45 ACP

VIP Member
    I suspect it's a simple supply and demand calculation. When dealing in high volume, there are calculus formulas applied that suggest where optimal production, pricing, etc. should be. They'll even have data on how many 'lemons' that they can expect to ship and they will be able to play with that number and see the impact that it has on their bottom line. If they're running a tight ship on their finances, it will be carefully managed to maximize overall profit, not necessarily quality.

(sigh) I'll be called a "Taurus basher" yet again, but that's okay. I'm used to it by now.

Anyway, I see this as a two-fold issue. On the one hand, Taurus Customer Support is probably overwhelmed by the number of "dogs" that have been sent back for repair. Thus, they need to charge more to support this. At the same time, they have some guns that have achieved popularity, like the Judge and the PT1911. They can use this as an excuse to raise prices.

So on the one hand, their sales are good so they up the price, but on the other hand, this is needed because so many will be returned.
    "I practice the ancient art of Klik Pao."

-miklcolt45

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    or someone might be paying attention and found that taurus customer service has miraculously improved and is making repairs in very acceptable 8-10 day turnarounds whle introducing some more reliable arms...their popularity has grown some...

lets see where it goes from here...

Pricing is a function of supply and demand. As demand goes up for a particular item, the price will rise.
    The price is not directly affected by the quality. It may be indirectly related to the quality with a resultant rise or fall in demand.
    In this case it would suggest that the quality is improving, as seen by the rising demand.

Note: I do not own a Taurus and have never shot one.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by zacii View Post
    Is it just me? Or has anyone else noticed the prices of all Taurus products climbing?

I was snubbie shopping, lately; and the Taurus snubbies were actually higher than Ruger or S&W. What gives?

I noticed that the Taurus PT1911, that could be had around $500, a year or so ago, are upwards of $700, now

Did I miss the memo, or did Taurus move up a notch in the gun universe?
    When I got my S&W 442, it was less then the Taurus version (not sure of model #). I was astounded. This was at my LGS.

VIP Member
    Being the owner of 2 Tauri, I can firmly state that if I could find the same functionality from a first tier manufacturer at the same or lower price than the Taurus, I would go in that direction. Both of my Tauri work great, never had a problem with them, but they were a good value at their price point.

My PT-99 was much cheaper than the Beretta and works just as well. My PT145 Pro fits a niche market for a pocket .45. Price was not a consideration when I bought this pistol, but I wanted a pocketable .45 with a safety that worked in the same diretion as a 1911. There is not much else out there that fits that bill, however, if a first tier manufacturer (which Taurus is not) came up with the same package for a lower price, and I was still in the market for the gun, it would be a no brainer.

I think Taurus will find its demand will rapidly shrink if its price point is not significantly less than the first tier conpetition. At the right price, Taurus is a great value. That price is not equal to or greater than the top tier competition.
    It's the Land of Opportunity, not the Land of Entitlements - Vote America!!!

"When governments fear the people there is liberty. When the people fear the government there is tyranny." Thomas Jefferson

You are only paranoid until you are right - then you are a visionary.

if a taurus revolver is more expensive than a smith or ruger, then buy the smith or ruger. Actually, buy the ruger of smith anyway!
    "In those days, there was a lot more respect for other people and it showed in peoples values.... Today the word value means nothing more than something you get on the $1 menu at McDonald's." -BARK'N

Taurus snubs for for 330 online

Quote Originally Posted by Macattack View Post
    if a taurus revolver is more expensive than a smith or ruger, then buy the smith or ruger. Actually, buy the ruger of smith anyway!
    I did. I bought the Smith
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SpringerXD View Post
    (sigh) I'll be called a "Taurus basher" yet again, but that's okay. I'm used to it by now.

Anyway, I see this as a two-fold issue. On the one hand, Taurus Customer Support is probably overwhelmed by the number of "dogs" that have been sent back for repair. Thus, they need to charge more to support this. At the same time, they have some guns that have achieved popularity, like the Judge and the PT1911. They can use this as an excuse to raise prices.

So on the one hand, their sales are good so they up the price, but on the other hand, this is needed because so many will be returned.
    No, you're just becoming monotonous.

looked at a bunch of tauri yesterday in my local gun shop and their prices (new stuff) hadn't changed. Maybe it's the store.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

GM
    $700 for a PT1911?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links