Recent trip to the range

This is a discussion on Recent trip to the range within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went last Saturday with a good friend. We both recently went through our CPL class together. He picked up a new Glock and I brought ...

Thread: Recent trip to the range

Recent trip to the range

Went last Saturday with a good friend. We both recently went through our CPL class together. He picked up a new Glock and I brought my arsenal. Wow, that was awesome. Tore up the target with my XD9, the Kel-Tec P-11, and the little guy, the Kel-Tec P3-AT. I was dialed in, it felt great. I felt so comfortable and was proud of my results. I love my XD by the way.

So, this group of guys show up and start blasting next to me, taking turns shooting the same gun. The main guy, who thought he was a barney bad a**, shot first and was shooting really fast. To me, he seemed pompous, arrogant, and cocky in front of his buddies. He had all of the latest gear and to me was trying to show off. They made me nervous.

My friend finished up before me and started watching these guys. I couldn't see being right next to them, I couldn't see around the barrier. So, I finish my last magazine, make sure that all of my slides were open because I want to grab my last target to compare all 3 guns & my results. Turns out that this guy didn't even hit the target but also missed the 4 x 4 piece of plywood that the target was attached to . . . from 7 yards!!! Unbelievable. The next guy looked like a wack job and unstable. I was instantly ready to go but I really wanted my target. Weird group of dudes.

So, I back away and wait for the Range Master to clear the line. You have to walk around and manually put up your own target. Outdoor range. $7 to shoot. Nice place but that low price attracts a bunch of yahoos I think. So, the RM walks down the line and gets to the final stall. Young guy there has his piece resting on the stall. The RM looks at him and asks. . .That unloaded? The guy says yep. The RM pulls the slide back and a live round flies out.

On the way out, I asked the RM about it. He says that he is scared every day that someone is going to get shot. They had some incident recently on the rifle range where shots were fired when someone was getting their target. I couldn't get out of there quick enough.

So, I need to find a new range. There is a pricey indoor one with automatic target slides. That place is safer but they all scare me.

Anyone have any good range stories? That place was scary.
    Springfield XD-9mm Service Model 4"
    Kel-Tec P3AT

2. Remove Ads

I have worked at a couple of ranges. I once stopped a guy from firing another round in a S&W 44mag revolver because the round he tried to fire just before had been a squib. I heard it just go pop and he looked at the gun funny then pulled the hammer back and I screamed cease fire! Went over and lowered the hammer real careful, pushed the cylinder out and looked down the barrel and there was the bullet about 1/8 of an inch down the barrel.

And then there is always the typical gang banger wanna be types who come in with their POS HiPoint guns and fire them sideways. Spray everyone else's targets. That kind of thing. Once saw a guy try to jam a mag in backwards on his AR.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array shockwave's Avatar
    As a quick comment, there are several ranges I go to in my town. One is a FOP range that's totally user controlled. Each bay is set up for whatever you want to do. No lifeguard on duty. Of course this is an experts-only range and safety is paramount. Still, run-and-gun is on the table.

The other one I attend is run by Range Nazis who will send you packing if they don't like anything you're doing. You have to watch a video and pass a 20-question test with 100-percent in order to shoot there. It's so strict as to be almost uncomfortable, but you know, hearing stories of dangerous ranges, I gotta say I'll take too-safe and strictly monitored over dangerous and out of control.

Firearms are not toys and a moment's carelessness can have very bad outcomes.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

GM
    I like shooting, but I truly hate going to the range.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

RKM
    Quote Originally Posted by GM View Post
    I like shooting, but I truly hate going to the range.
    Same here. Which is why I shoot maybe once a month. I just wish I, or a friend had a lot of land.

Quote Originally Posted by CMT View Post
    The RM looks at him and asks. . .That unloaded? The guy says yep. The RM pulls the slide back and a live round flies out.

On the way out, I asked the RM about it. He says that he is scared every day that someone is going to get shot. They had some incident recently on the rifle range where shots were fired when someone was getting their target.
    They're aware of the issues. They could turn it around with some heavy-handed range management, forced courses on safety and introduction to the range, boosting the cost to cover the "initiation" courses. It would drive out some of the yahoos. But it would take commitment and responsibility on the part of the range ownership, management and range officers. It would likely take more range officers, possibly better trained. And the changeover to a nicer range might well come with some severe costs. No telling, as I don't know that area and range.

Having shot around ranges for 20+ years, I have seen many issues ... all of the common ones, from squibs to bad safety/handling technique to lack of understanding about the equipment involved. Only rarely have I encountered truly ignorant people when it came to respecting those around them. And those folks were quickly taken care of, generally, with one or more folks helping to correct the dangerous behavior. I'm still standing, and I'd like to think that has much to do with my good initial grounding in safety procedures, safe handling of firearms, and my unwillingness to have people be unsafe around me. Of course, a good part of it is plain old luck.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

I really can't afford to go to a range myself but when I do go with my dad he lays out better rules than whats posted on the wall. Other times I pop the .22 in the back yard into some dirt mounds.
    The only issue I have had at a range was when my older sister fired a 1911 for the first time and she busted out laughing waving the gun all over the place,the gun was promptly removed and unloaded and she was led away from the line.

If he was attempting to show off, I imagine his friends weren't too impressed when he couldn't hit a 16 square foot surface from 7 yards unless they were all clueless. That's a recipe for an accident and I think I would have split asap. The range I go to occasionally (usually shoot on a buddy's farm) has a "no rapid fire" rule and signs everywhere. Double taps ok as long as you are in control. They would have stopped everyone and had a talk with these guys real quick. Perhaps this range should consider a similar rule and maybe an increased fee to the general public with discounted membership fees to regulars in order to cull the yahoos out.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Range Nazis! So true.

At the range I visit, all firearms must be made safe and checked by the officer prior to declaring the range "cold" for leaving, replacing targets, etc. No problem there.

Once I had my G30 field stripped (empty mag lying aside, slide off, barrel and recoil spring removed) because I was going to use my .22 AA conversion on the next session. He made me reassemble the gun and lock the slide before he would call it safe.

Overkill, you think? Kind of like reassembling a bomb so the bomb squad can disarm it!?
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
    As a quick comment, there are several ranges I go to in my town. One is a FOP range that's totally user controlled. Each bay is set up for whatever you want to do. No lifeguard on duty. Of course this is an experts-only range and safety is paramount. Still, run-and-gun is on the table.

The other one I attend is run by Range Nazis who will send you packing if they don't like anything you're doing. You have to watch a video and pass a 20-question test with 100-percent in order to shoot there. It's so strict as to be almost uncomfortable, but you know, hearing stories of dangerous ranges, I gotta say I'll take too-safe and strictly monitored over dangerous and out of control.

Firearms are not toys and a moment's carelessness can have very bad outcomes.
    Yeah....my dad was a member of a range like that....in IL...I hated shooting there. Living in VA and visiting IL....what a frickin' nightmare. One guy at the range nearly lost it when I had my gun in a holster. I needed to be "holster qualified"...WT_....

Me: OK, Barney. How do I get "holster qualified"?

Barney: "Well, you need to attend a class and train with a select group of instructors for about a month"

Me: "You're kidding, right? I've trained with Marine's High Risk Personnel Course, trained by Chapman Instructors, carried throughout Bosnia, Iraq, Afghanistan, and carry at home....but I have to "get trained" by guys who only wear holsters at the range?"

Barney: Yep...we don't even let FBI agent or other law enforcement carry in holsters here.

Me: So...how many of those guys are members?

Barney: I think 2 or 3

Me: Wow...OK...I'm leaving.

Barney: Well, you need to take that holster off...

Me: [now a matter of pride] I'm not doing [anything]....I'm packing my stuff and I'm leaving.

Barney: bu...bbu...but your holster! [as if the holster has special magical powers or something]

Range Nazis can get bent....

Because no matter how much "training" you give people, or the reams of paperwork you make people fill out.....there is going to be an idiot that hurts themselves or someone else. Unfortunately for us, some of these idiots have firearms....they also drive, pump gas, grill food, walk and chew gum. Depending on the person, these are all dangerous activities.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I am so blessed to have a little 1/2-acre hillside place to shoot. Privately owned and few people us it. Probably 5 at the most. Also there is a rifle range here but it is a stand in line and wait to shoot type of thing. All in all the older men are nice and extremely helpful. Then in comes the idiot with a hand-held tank that knows everything there is to know about guns and
    begins the - hey watch this - stuff. I rarely go there anymore more out of fear more than inpatience.

All it takes is one butthole to ruin a pleasant day.

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

I would much rather be on a backwoods logging road rather than a range. I can shoot whatever targets I want and don't have to worry about a small peckered range nazi that finally gets some authority for once in his life. I also don't have to worry about the idiots besides me. That said finding a place like that is over an hour and a half away now.

I worked as a rental guy at a gun range when I was attending college and held my breath and said a prayer after I rented a lane to some of the people that walked through. One of the funny stories I remember was a time the boys from the hood all showed up and they all had POS guns except for one. He was proud of his Kimber .45 with a laser. You could see that the laser was dead on the buyllseye when he went to fire. But could never hit it as he was always jerking the trigger before he fired and the laser would move and he was way off. As me and another guy that worked there at the range were watching it and snickering. He finally said I had enough of this. Walked in there and pulled out his Hi power 9mm and blasted the heart out of the bullseye. They were all standing there in amazement.

Another time a guy had shot a metal bar that held the targets and it ricoched off and hit him in the upper chest. Put a mark on him but didn't draw blood or anything. He comes running to me and tells me that he needs an ambulance and want's to talk to the owner. He's ready to sue the place. I call the owner tell him what had just happened. He tells me that he don't want to waste his time talking to this clown and since he signed a waver he is not liable. I then have to break the news that his friend signed in, but he didn't. He then tells me to tell him that since he didn't sign the waver he is not responsible and to tell the guy to toughen up and put a band aid on. I'm thinking great. This guy has a 9mm and dosent seem too logical. I tell him that that the owner said since he didn't sign the waver we are not liable. I skipped the toughen up part. He started ranting and said he was going to sue, packed up his stuff and left to never hear from him again.

I joined a private gun club and while they posted the rules there was always this guy there whining and moaning at everyone who didn't follow the rules. If you had yout target too high on the plywood stands that they supplied he complained that the bullets you were firing was hitting the dirt mound too high that they just re-buit up. If you fired a shot off faster than every three seconds you were rapid firing? He starting whining that my friends Kel tec P3AT slide wasn't back when not in use, when there was no slide lock on it. He just wanted to stand behind us and look for something to ****** about. I finally had enough of it and told him that we were responsible grown men and that he could go back to his own lane and mind his own buiseness. Needless to say I didn't renew my membership that following year as it seemed he would show up about every other time I was there. And always found something that one of the shooters there was doing to complain about.

There is the guy that shows up with his super huge hand cannon that always wants to shoot besides me. It's so loud, that I get a headache even with ear protection on. The damm thing raddles my bones everytime he pulls the trigger.

Chiming in with my range report from a couple weeks ago and agreeing with the OP.

Buddy I work with and I both have WV concealed carry permits and go to a local public range. His new gal and her young daughter wanted to learn how to shoot so me and the wife met them out at the range. There were already a few there so we took up the middle benches.

The guy and his wife down to the left were decent shooters. He had a Sig .556 AR type rifle and was dead on. His wife was kind of a "sweeper" when she held her Rainbow Sig .380 and I kept giving her a dirty look each time she did it. He must have caught on and said something to her because she quit doing it. I had my Universal M-1 carbine and he was intrigued by it. I let him pop off 5 rds and he liked it. He let me shoot his SIG .556. It was sweet, first time shooting the .223 round.

The guys down on the right side of us sounded like WW III. They emptied mags, cylinders and everything as fast and loud as they could. They had an arsenal, .44 mag, .45, .9mm 8mm WW II Czech Mauser, and SKS. They must have fired a thousand rounds before we got 20 off.

Another couple came in and only the guy had hearing protection so I gave the woman a set of foam ear plugs so she wouldn't go deaf.

My buddy's girl shot well, she didn't care much for .38spl, 9mm and his Kimber .45, she liked the .22. Her daughter however shot everything we had, even my S&W model 19 .357 magnum. It was a good day at the range except for some of the nutty ones. Being a public range, that's the bad part.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Since I have permanently moved to an outdoor range, I've never been happier. The indoor range have too many immature and unsafe shooters. I have not seen any of that at the outdoor range but you never know.

Links