What would you have done?

This is a discussion on What would you have done? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK. I was out shopping at a major sporting goods store. Went by the firearms section just to see what they had. While I was ...

OK.

I was out shopping at a major sporting goods store. Went by the firearms section just to see what they had.

While I was there, a guy was being served. He was talking on his cell phone to someone, who appeared to be telling them what to get. Obviously, i can only hear his side of the conversation and the firearms clerk serving.

Guy to clerk: That pumpy, how many does that one hold?
    Clerk to guy: I think six....
    Guy into phone: it holds six
    Guy to clerk: Yeah, gimme one of those

He then walks around. I hear 'What, the .223?'
    He goes back to the clerk and starts asking about Mini 14's. He then talks some more on the cell and says, about the shotgun he is getting, 'You got any of the police ones that hold 8,9 rounds'

Clerk : 'No'
    Guy into the phone 'No'
    Guy to clerk 'Yeah, just gimme that one'. He then starts looking at the .223 rifles, I'm guessing the Rugers.

Now, I'm thinkng this is looking like a straw purchase to me. The firearms guy was pretty young and inexperienced. He didn't appear to know much from what i overheard.

So, what I did was I caught the eye of another store worker who appeared to be the firearms manager. He was currently on my side of the counter.

He asked if I needed any help and I said, yes, I need to talk to you a second and walked round the corner of the aisle with him. I then told him what I had seen and that it looked, to me at least, that he had a straw purchase going on and he might want to check it out It was even more clear to me because the guy was buying several guns, but looked like he was maybe 20.

I then left the store. I then started to feel like a bit of a snitch, wondering if maybe I had also got it wrong, but guys, if you had seen the body language etc, and the fact that he was going to spend a lot of money buyiing several cheaper long guns, it just didn't seem right to me.

So, in a similar situation, what would you guys have done?

I'd have probably done the same thing.
    Thinking that the manager would probably want to know if there were illegal purchases going on in his store, on his watch, so to speak.

If it is legit, he can determine that in his own professional way.

I'd say you did good. No snitch.

Also, if this "kid" is going to put guns in the hands of criminals, the ones you are armed to protect your family from, ............. well you get the idea.
    It’s so much easier now days, to "Love and honor" my wife, when she is armed, and shoots a better group than I do. (Till death do us part, eh?)

“The way you get shot by a concealed weapons permit holder is, you point a gun at him,” the Sheriff said.

I would have done the exact same thing.
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    Probably the same thing.

If he was legit, no harm done.

Assistant Administrator
    Better safe than sorry - and if this as it obviously did - pricked your spidey sense then I too would have done similar.

Every darned straw purchase that makes it thru the net is potentially another nail in the 2A coffin, the way anti's like to play it. If he was straight up then no harm done.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

1943 - 2009
    Fragman, you did the right thing, no question.

This smells like a strawman purchase, without a doubt.

BTW, what did the firearms section have?

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Crunch
    Fragman, you did the right thing, no question.

This smells like a strawman purchase, without a doubt.

BTW, what did the firearms section have?
    I couldn't really see as they were way behind the counter, but one looked like a bushmaster AR type and apparently they had a Ruger mini 14 too. But they had a lot of shotguns and Remington 700 types.

VIP Member
    Sounds good to me. Let the mgr deal with the guy and don't hang around for him to get mad at you. There's usually a reason when you start to feel something funny is going on. Pretty blatant there.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I would have been suspicious also, you never know, could have been one of Bloomberg’s “investigators” on the other end of the phone.

You surely did the right thing. I'm about fed up with seeing this sort of thing going on at a local gun show. Seen whole groups of 'bangers looking things over but only one who keeps making the gun purchases. The idiot dealers ought to realise they're just giving the antis more ammo. Not to mention arming potential enemies of society. When I was working the shows I always "reserved the right to deny questionable sales" and that meant to anyone that struck me wrong.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Senior Moderator
    Well done, and I would have done the same.

More troubling is that the clerk that was helping him didn't realize what was going on.

Matt

Lead Moderator
    I would have done the same too. No doubt a questionable sale in progress.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    Ditto....
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Links