Got the scope on my new hunting pistol

This is a discussion on Got the scope on my new hunting pistol within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; This thing is some kinda sweet shooting machine kicks like a mule but I can shoot 460, 454 casull and 45 long colt so I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Got the scope on my new hunting pistol

This thing is some kinda sweet shooting machine kicks like a mule but I can shoot 460, 454 casull and 45 long colt so I have plenty of options
    What do you guys think?DSC_0124.jpg It is a Magnum Research 10" 460 with a burris 4x scope
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."
    - Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

Six gun blasphemy.

The "That's not a knife" scene from Crocodile Dundy just flashed through my head. That's one big ol smoke wagon.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Not trying to offend you with my first response. It is a very nice set up. My approach to handgun hunting is alot different. I have a carbine rifle that is not much longer than tha, and probably lighter. I use a no longer than a 6 inch barrel with open sites, something that is easily carried on my hip. But if that is what you like I think it's a fine rig. Definatley quality scope and gun combo. Not really crazy about those new cartridges. Seems if ya need that much power, you should use a rifle. But good luck and have fun!

Actually believe it or not I agree with u even tho its my gun. But here is the thing I live in Montana and we frequently have to take shots of 150 yards +, this particular firearm boasts of being able to take a deer out to 250 yrds (otherwise I would have gone with a smith 44 mag and called it good) so I dont take any offense at what you said.
    "I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason, and intellect has intended us to forgo their use."

Yeah I see what you mean. I'll take an open shot at 100-125 yards with open sights with perfect conditions, but after that it's let em walk time. Please tell me how it shoots, groups ect. I am always interested in learnin about new stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    Yeah I see what you mean. I'll take an open shot at 100-125 yards with open sights with perfect conditions, but after that it's let em walk time. Please tell me how it shoots, groups ect. I am always interested in learnin about new stuff.
    Now comes the kicker that I did not mention earlier: I had a full disc replacement of my c6-c7 in my neck on August 2nd I have not been able to shoot it at all or get it sighted in yet (I did put 20 rnds thru it when I first got it in March without the scope) I go into the doctor for a follow up on Sept 14th and I get to find out if I can even shoot it or rifles this year. Its bad enough bow season opened today and I cant go. I really hope I get good news especially since I am only 33, everyone thinks it cant happen to me and then you get the wake up call.

I can relate. Bow season started here today also, but I went to the chiropractor. Lol. Hope you get a clean bill of health from the sawbones partner.

GM
    Nice toy!!!
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Now comes the kicker that I did not mention earlier: I had a full disc replacement of my c6-c7 in my neck on August 2nd I have not been able to shoot it at all or get it sighted in yet (I did put 20 rnds thru it when I first got it in March without the scope) I go into the doctor for a follow up on Sept 14th and I get to find out if I can even shoot it or rifles this year. Its bad enough bow season opened today and I cant go. I really hope I get good news especially since I am only 33, everyone thinks it cant happen to me and then you get the wake up call.
    You, sir, are a glutton for punishment! I once had a Thompson Contender with .223 and .30 Herritt 14" barrels. The Herritt was a handfull, but the Contender tamed it pretty well. I have no desire to fire a hand Howitzer like yours. OUCH!

Hope the doc clears you soon.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    You, sir, are a glutton for punishment! I once had a Thompson Contender with .223 and .30 Herritt 14" barrels. The Herritt was a handfull, but the Contender tamed it pretty well. I have no desire to fire a hand Howitzer like yours. OUCH!

Hope the doc clears you soon.
    Ya know oddly enough with the 10" barrel it really does not kick anymore than a 3" 44 mag of course I have not tried the big loads for it (and probably wont anytime soon). I have shot alot of 2 1/2" 357 mags that were anything but pleasant to shoot also. I am having some 45 long colt 300 grain loads made up by my dad which should be pretty tame and still able to take a deer out to 100 yrds. The main problem I am having is trying to find a way to pack the stupid thing around, I do really wish that I had gotten something smaller in retrospect but Im into it a little over $500 cause a acquantance really needed the money and offered it to me for that, so I could not pass this up in my opinion.

Is that a pistol or a rifle?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    very nice purchase. These type of pistols are in a different class and in as much appeal to different folks. I like shooting them - other don't.

Different strokes for different folks as it were...

Best!
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by mrm View Post
    Ya know oddly enough with the 10" barrel it really does not kick anymore than a 3" 44 mag of course I have not tried the big loads for it (and probably wont anytime soon). I have shot alot of 2 1/2" 357 mags that were anything but pleasant to shoot also. I am having some 45 long colt 300 grain loads made up by my dad which should be pretty tame and still able to take a deer out to 100 yrds. The main problem I am having is trying to find a way to pack the stupid thing around, I do really wish that I had gotten something smaller in retrospect but Im into it a little over $500 cause a acquantance really needed the money and offered it to me for that, so I could not pass this up in my opinion.
    I don't know how well you could pack with a scope, but I find these holsters to be interesting: Guides Choice Holster
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I carried my Contender in a shoulder rig quite comfortably. I think it was an Uncle Mikes. If I thought it would fit your gun I'd give it to ya. My Contender was stolen.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links