Defensive Carry banner

Got a new Para GI Expert

3K views 8 replies 8 participants last post by  Katana 
#1 ·
I got a new Para GI Expert this past weekend. Since I can conceal a 1911 better than my Glock 9mms[19,26] I traded my G26 for this 1911. I am from the old school and have revolvers and other 1911s to boot from a 1913 Colt up to a 1950 Colt 1911 GI. I have heard about the Magazines not functioning properly and possible extractor problems along with it. Does anyone own one and can tell me what the real deal is on the Para GI Expert. Thank,richgp100z:confused:

#4 ·
Well, at least you've got your priorities straight

Cheers!

#5 ·
Congrats and enjoy. IMO you are 100% right, I think that a 1911 is easier to conceal (and sooo much sexier :image035:) than the Glock. I guess that I am from the old school too, because I like 1911’s and BHP.

#7 ·
I have a Para. But I got mine right after Alex Hamilton from Ten Ring Precision reworked it. Mine runs like a dream. The guy I got it from stated that he was having a problem with the slide not always staying back on the last shot before he sent it to Alex. I have heard folks talk about the finish not holding up on them but mine sees lots of carry in bad conditions and is holding up fine. Mine is treating me right. Mine shoots WWB and el cheapo Federal and Remington Walmart specials without a problem. Then I load up the brass with Speer Gold Dot and Hornady XTP HP and shoot it some more. I have had it about six months and have ran 2500 rounds through it without a problem. I have ran 500 rounds through it with out cleaning and it kept going.

#8 ·
I have a new new GI Expert with the fiber sight. I had a few problems with the first couple of magazines I fired through it. After that I did not have any more problems. It is extremly accurate.
I like the front sight. The magazines seem a little cheap but I will probably pick up a couple of Wilsons or put in Wolf springs.
Semper Fi

#9 ·
I have/had one. I ended up giving it to my father, but I've still got access to it anytime I want.

Here's what I found:

1. The parakote finish is craptastic. After carrying this gun for less than a week, the thing looked like it had seen combat. Scratched up, finish wear, & excessive holster wear. It had small amounts of rust (surface only, thank God) on the magazine release button and the thumb safety as well.
2. The 2 factory magazines did not impress me. I replaced them with Chip McCormick's asap.
3. Mine would only feed 1 type of hollowpoint reliably (that I was able to test), Remington UMC 230 grain jhp. It fed ball just fine, but both the Winchester and the Fiochi I tried would not feed properly.

Now for some good things.
1. The gun is definitely accurate. The barrel is true match grade, and it seemed like no matter what ammo I used in it, I was punching big, ragged holes in the x ring of my targets.
2. It's a great value for the money. As one of the "entry level" 1911's, I do believe, even with the problems I had with feeding and finish issues, that it was money well spent.

My dad uses it now as his home defense handgun. 3 magazines stay loaded with 8 rounds of 230 grain fmj, and it gets a bi-weekly cleaning now. It's a great pistol for that or for target shooting right out of the box, but maybe not the greatest for CCW purposes until you can polish the feed ramp & replace the magazines at least.

I think with just a small amount of work, it could be a great CCW choice. But my dad said he liked it, so I gave it to him in hopes he'd do the work himself and I wouldn't have to. :rofl:

Just kidding, he said he liked it so I gave it to him as an early fathers day gift. He said it reminded him of the 1911 he carried when he was in the SeaBees.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.