Warning about glock 19 leo mags!

This is a discussion on Warning about glock 19 leo mags! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; LE mAG.jpg Went out to shoot my new Gen 3 19 today. I have had it for several months. I had some old LEO HICAP ...

Thread: Warning about glock 19 leo mags!

Warning about glock 19 leo mags!

LE mAG.jpg

Went out to shoot my new Gen 3 19 today. I have had it for several months. I had some old LEO HICAP mags left over from where we carried 9mms in the mid ninetys, so I put the new ones up and took one of my old [but like new] LEO hi caps out and run a box of ball thru it. After I fired the entire mag, the last round would always fail to feed, either diving straight into the feed ramp, or angling up into the chamber but failing to go all the way in. I fired three mag fulls and it happened every last round. When I got home, I could copy the malfunction by loading one live round into the mag and either hit the slide release, or sling shot method. I removed the mag, and traded it for a newer non LEO hi cap, and it fed flawlessly. After examining the mags, I could clearly see the wider metal insert used in the LEO, and the LEO had an hi edge on the follower that road above the edge of the insert as viewed from the top. I checked all three LEO MAGS, and they were all the same, and all different from newer models.
    Now I know those LEO mags worked thru the Glocks I owned od the past, and one even worked with my G26. But there IS a difference in the design of these, so be careful when picking up extra mags for your gun. I would like to know if there is something different in the design or alignment of the GEN 1 AND 2 from the 3? The round sits lower in the chamber when sin the LEO. The newer mags actually hold the top bullet higher, and almost directly in line with the chamber. Ideas anyone? Ramrod?

2. Remove Ads

Yeah....you know....the Glock magazines are a bit of perplexity over the ages and their intended application. This is where a lot more folks should become aware. I've got quite a few pre owned/former LEO magazines for my G17 that are NDF and DF (from back in the 80's). I've only had a problem out of one of them after I installed a +2 base on a NDF mag. The followers have been updated ( I think we're up to the #8 in the 9mm now). You also need to look at replacing the mag springs. Your older Glock magazine tube is worth more than the replacement parts to get it up to spec. Crazy in a way. Glock recommends upgrading the magazine follower with the exact same that came out...in most instances. I truly think you need to replace your current followers in those troublesome mags and leave everything else the same. New springs would be a second thought, and make sure to get the 11 coil from the factory..

Thanks ramrod. Roger that! That's what I do love about this forum. Always someone who knows something you don't.

Got your PM. I know how things go when you depend on something and it doesn't work as expected. Been there myself. There's always a reason behind everything.

Links