Teaching our kids about guns.

This is a discussion on Teaching our kids about guns. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Well I need some advice from all you parents. I really want to teach my 12 year old daughter about guns. Ive tried to encourage ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Teaching our kids about guns.

Teaching our kids about guns.

Well I need some advice from all you parents. I really want to teach my 12 year old daughter about guns. Ive tried to encourage her for years to learn to shoot with me. Started her out with .22 CB shorts in a Crickett rifle at around age 7, but she never really seems to enjoy it. She doesent like the sound at all.(22 CBs make no sound). She asks sometimes why I have so many guns. I explain to her about the sport of shooting and what the 2nd ammendment means and the role firearms played in founding our country.
    Anyway came home from work today and got out the .22s. in hopes I could get her to come shoot, but no luck. Said she would rather play computer. I really dont want to make her shoot, but I want her to grow up and understand the importance of defending ourselves. Do yall have some ideas to encourage her? Ive thought about creating shooting games, maybe paying her .50 cents for every plate she knocks down. Or getting some fun alien targets to shoot or something. Any thoughts.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

2. Remove Ads

As a father of a soon to be 12 year old girl I feel you are pushing how you think she should be living her life upon her. You are not considering what she finds interesting, only what you find interesting. My daughter earlier this year was pushing me to buy her a pink .22 rifle but I never did as I knew things would soon change and they have. She no longer mentions it. That does not mean I do not want her to learn to shoot, I do but I will wait for the day she comes to me and ask to learn.

I wanted to stick my daughter on the ice at an early age and I did. She didn't care for it and never wanted to go ice skating and I told myself that is ok. Last year she changed her mine and she is really looking forward to ice skating this season.

If it was a 12 year old boy who didn't want to shoot, then you'd have problems on your hands.

Use reactive targets that blow up, shatter, or generally do cool stuff. Don't just punch holes in paper or ring steel targets. Personally, my 12 yr old daughter really likes bustin' clay birds hanging from a barbed wire fence in a net, cans of shaving cream or whipped cream, or shaken up cans of really cheap soda with a Beretta Neos .22lr pistol.

Cheers!
    One Riot, One Ranger. Long live the Republic of Texas.

JOIN THE NRA AND DO IT TODAY!!

Rather difficult these days to get the young ones away from the computer and social life. It's a long row to hoe. Most kids these days just need a dose of sunshine to keep them healthy IMO. And some real oxygen to go along with it. Personally, I've been where you are. It's hard to compete in a youngster's life even as a parent these days. What they are taught in public schools often compound matters and work against us and our interactions with our children. It's fact. The mention of firearms is just about as taboo as the topics of sex and drugs these days. Thing is, most of the school aged children have already been exposed to two out of three simply by just going to school. I won't elaborate any more on the subject other than it's way past time to turn our you back in the right direction. It's never too late IMO. We just have to make the best of the time we're given. I truly wish I had some simple answers for you.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Some might say limit her access to the computer or take it from her. Both would be the wrong thing to do. With today's life relying so much on computers she will need a high level of understanding them in order to succeed in tomorrow's society. Right now she is just not interested in guns. In order for a person to really learn they have to have some interest in the subject matter. One thing you may want to try is make a game out of shooting. Tape or staple baloons up as a target and pop them. Make a large "dart" board and use bullets instead of darts. Anything to make shooting interesting. Make it fun. If she sees you having fun she may want to join in. Until she becomes interested in shooting you may just be spinning your wheels. Remember what happens when you try to force feed someone. It usually comes back up. Don't force feed her or she may just "spit it back up" in your face. Let her become interested then you can teach her what she wants to know.

Quote Originally Posted by WhoWeBePart1 View Post
    As a father of a soon to be 12 year old girl I feel you are pushing how you think she should be living her life upon her. You are not considering what she finds interesting, only what you find interesting. My daughter earlier this year was pushing me to buy her a pink .22 rifle but I never did as I knew things would soon change and they have. She no longer mentions it. That does not mean I do not want her to learn to shoot, I do but I will wait for the day she comes to me and ask to learn.

I wanted to stick my daughter on the ice at an early age and I did. She didn't care for it and never wanted to go ice skating and I told myself that is ok. Last year she changed her mine and she is really looking forward to ice skating this season.
    I think kids today must be introduced to firearms and responsibly handleing them. If they are not...then they will never ask to learn to shoot as in todays society they will be taught the opposite. Its no coincidence that our youth involved in shooting sports such as hunting is at an all time low. I want to show my daughter what a rewarding sport it is, and then if shes not interested then so be it. Oh yes... we just returned from horseback riding lessons, something she finds interesting that Ive supported.
    Glock 22, 27 Gen 4
    Ruger SP101 .357mag
    S&W 637 Airweight
    Ruger Single Six
    Ruger Blackhawk Bisley 45 Colt
    Mossberg 835 Grand Slam

Quote Originally Posted by wormy View Post
    Oh yes... we just returned from horseback riding lessons, something she finds interesting that Ive supported.
    So continue to support her horseback riding and give her all the support you can in an activity she loves because one day she might turn to you and say, I want to go shooting.

My girls are younger. I've asked them often if they want to go shoot. Generally it's a no. My youngest has shot a couple times. I offer to take them, but forcing them to do it is the quickest way to get them to hate it. My oldest is now wanting to go hunting with me. She has shown no interest in shooting, but I am trying to figure out a way to get her out hunting soon. Our trip today fell through, I wanted to take her dove hunting. She loves to watch me shoot my bow. So that may be where I have to start.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

I bought a small airsoft pistol from wallmart. it makes no noise wand fits my kids hands perfect plus we can shoot in the garage.so if they shoot for 2 mins and are done fine.no wasted trip.

Whatever happens, don't push. You'll end up pushing her away......in more ways than one. Guns are in the house and a part of her life whether she participates or not. Keep it simple and ensure she's taught basic firearm safety but beyond that, let her grow and come to you in her time. She may surprise you. From time to time the topic will arise......make it as positive a conversation as possible. Just talking with her is a positive connection. Things like why you carry, bad things that happen to good people, a good day YOU had at the range, etc, etc. At 12 there are MUCH more important happenings in her life, friends, the mall, school. and her attention span is cycled around that right now.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Get her some 'computer' shooting games, for starters.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

kpw
    Give it time. My oldest was never really into it. She'd go once or twice a year just to make me happy I'm sure, but it really wasn't her thing. This summer she told me she wanted to take a 2 day course with me. It was out of the blue and a huge surprise. Now she has a new found interest and I'm a happy dad.
    "In a republic this rule ought to be observed: that the majority should not have the predominant power." -
    -- Marcus Tullius Cicero

VIP Member
    I grew up around guns and my sisters never showed any interest. Now one is taking classes and getting her CWP at age 52.

It just may take a while.

Distinguished Member Array MinistrMalic's Avatar
    You've got lots of good advice here. I would just be enthusiastic about shooting and leave the door open. I like to take my kids out hunting; maybe just a walk in the woods will pique her interest. Above all let her be herself; you're not going to bully her into liking shooting.
    "...whoever has no sword is to sell his coat and buy one." (Luke 22:36)
    Christianity and Self Defense from a Biblical Perspective

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links