Finish wear on slide

This is a discussion on Finish wear on slide within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Hey guys I need some help as I posted this on another forum as well. Ok guys I need some help. About four months ago ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Finish wear on slide

Finish wear on slide

Hey guys I need some help as I posted this on another forum as well.

Ok guys I need some help. About four months ago I had ccr refinish my Glock 23 slide with there cera-hide coating. I fired a couple hundred rounds through it since and have seen some very disturbing wear marks that have taken down the paint. Pics enclosed. Please tell me this is normal.

Now in the pictures the shiny silver color is where the finish came off. Will my gun rust now in these spots? I put in a call to them but am to anxious to wait for a call back.

One more step and it's on!

2. Remove Ads

Ouch, thats no good. Im not up on my Glocks but I believe the slide should be stainless. If so you shouldnt have too much to worry about when it comes to rust. I would be more than a little ticked off about the finish. Let us know how it all works out.

VIP Member
    Dripster those are not wear marks the finish is coming off. I am not familiar with the finish that you have on there but many bond with the metal on a microscopic level so rust is ussually not a not a problem.
    If they were wear marks they would be spread evenly on the slide and not blotched around like what you have. It seems to be restricted to the inside of the slide for the most part but I would have a serious discussion with them about the finish.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    The secret to any sucessful refinishing lies 90% in the prep work. I hate to point out the obvious, but that looks like crap, even where it hasn't flaked off. It's probably because it wasn't degreased well enough.

The Glock Tennifer finish actually penetrates into the metal, so--if you're lucky--the may not be any rusting. I don't know why people feel thay have to mess with the virtually indestructable Glock finish, but file this one under lessons learned. Good luck in dealing with the folks that did this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Well I called ccr and they said to ship it back. I am probably going to get the cera-plate finish this time as it looks nickel in color and supposedly is a better finish. We shall see.
    One more step and it's on!

Administrator
    Poor prep work on the base metal causing a lack of proper adhesion. They should do it over. The big question is...:Do you want them to do it over?
    If they couldn't do it right the first time they might screw the job up even worse the next time. I would shop around for somebody that is capable of doing a respectable job.

Whoops! Too Late. I would have paid for the original job with a credit card and then disputed the payment and shipped it elsewhere.
    They did you a lousy job.

Send it back IMO. The OEM Glock finish would never do that. IMO....you have a problem. In my honest opinion, plating over the Glock OEM finish is a mistake. Knowing what I know, I could never see the possibility of cohesion over the Glock finish since the Glock finish actually penetrates the metal.

thats not a glock finish... that looks like a BAD duracote job

Senior Member Array royal barnes's Avatar
    Your reason for refinishing? I can't remember ever seeing a rusty Glock.

GM
    That does not look good at all. I am not familiar with that finish, but IMO those are not wear marks; I think that the finish is coming off. I should call them right away and explain what is going on.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

That looks U-G-L-Y....it's not wear...its a poor finish job.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Hey, that looks like my 1911, Man that's a beauty..Seriously, though it looks like wear marks to me. Also, a lot of people want pretty guns, but chrome won't bring you home and neither will a pretty gun.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Not prepped well. Should have been media blasted with 80 grit aluminum oxide before coating. You CANNOT coat these things with a smooth or glass beaded finish and expect it to wear well. You can't put it over an existing finish either. I just finished a BHP this morning, for myself, will post pics later.
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

ccr
    Those pictures make the slide wear look much worse then it really is Most likely because of the reflection on it . I received the slide back this morning form the OP and we are going to refinish it in our Cera-Plate Electroless Nickel Boron Nitride plating for him . Giving him a full credit

We are also going to redo it and have it on its way home tomorrow for him

Here is a better representation of the wear under the slide which is caused by the barrel slamming simply the design of the gun

Quote Originally Posted by xpertz1 View Post
    Not prepped well. Should have been media blasted with 80 grit aluminum oxide before coating. You CANNOT coat these things with a smooth or glass beaded finish and expect it to wear well. You can't put it over an existing finish either. I just finished a BHP this morning, for myself, will post pics later.
    Pics--BHP just done and re-assembled

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]

[IMG] Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/IMG]
    Peace is that brief, glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links