It seems I bought a stolen gun... - Page 4

It seems I bought a stolen gun...

This is a discussion on It seems I bought a stolen gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Sounds like a reasonably ethical pawn shop. When you get the check cleared let us know the shop's name. I'm sure some might want to ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It seems I bought a stolen gun...

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Sounds like a reasonably ethical pawn shop. When you get the check cleared let us know the shop's name. I'm sure some might want to let them know that their good deed has its rewards.

So tell me, are the chances of this happening greater at a pawn shop? Couldn't a LGS just as easily have purchased a used gun from an individual?

I've never bought from a pawn shop, but I was thinking I may be missing out on some deals, now, maybe not.

They know the guy who pawned the gun and pretty much don't believe he knew it was stolen property. Probably he bought it a gun show and then turned it around for cash,
    You make money buying at a gun show and selling to a pawn shop? Never in a million years.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Guns and more View Post
    So tell me, are the chances of this happening greater at a pawn shop? Couldn't a LGS just as easily have purchased a used gun from an individual?

I've never bought from a pawn shop, but I was thinking I may be missing out on some deals, now, maybe not.

You make money buying at a gun show and selling to a pawn shop? Never in a million years.
    The pawnbroker, by Federal Law is required to contact NICS prior to accepting the person's firearm for pawn and record it in his bound book. At the time of redemption, the pawnbroker is required to contact NICS for another background check.

In this case, there was no redemption. The pawnbroker offered the gun for sale to the OP. The firearm was shipped to the OP's local FFL to complete the transaction. At that time, the local FFL, as required, contacted NICS for another background check and discovered the gun had been reported stolen.

The Local FFL charges a transfer fee and must retain disposition records of the stolen firearm. The pawnbroker is an FFL. Your local gun shop is an FFL. Both must maintain records of what they purchase or take in, and the both must keep records of the disposition of what they sell.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

If you want to perform a free stolen gun search, the following two links are better than nothing. While certainly not comprehensive, they may help.

http://www.stolenweapon.com/

http://hotgunz.com/

I think a national stolen gun database would be a great service to the public who knows, it may help reduce gun theft by quickly identifying stolen guns and perhaps catching the thieves who target gun owners. Honestly how hard would it be to migrate the NCIC stolen firearm database into a second system with immediate updates, accessible to the general public? God forbid our tax dollars be used to assist the public instead of creating pools of data only accessible to a privileged few. Right now way too many people avoid checking guns with their LEO for fear of being arrested themselves for possessing stolen property or being issued a box load of attitude.

Before anyone gets defensive about my LEO comments, I'm in the state where a motorcycle rider is facing 16 years in prison because he recorded a traffic stop with his helmet camera and posted it on YouTube.
    http://http://abcnews.go.com/US/TheL...ry?id=11179076

Creating a searchable data base of stolen guns IS NOT GUN REGISTRATION.

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post
    Well that's pretty lousy. Sorry to hear about it.

I wonder if there is a way to check the s/n before commiting to a purchase, sort of like a Carfax for guns? Obviously LE can do this, but can the rest of us just request a search on a particular s/n?
    How about
    http://www.stolenweapon.com/
    to check serial numbers of guns reported stolen.

Sorry,although that is why i do not buy used guns from strangers.

Hi there. I'm sure you have probably taken care of your possible stolen gun problem. I was just wanting to say that you can check to see if a gun you are considering to purchase but you want to find out if it is stolen or not. That is a very legitimate question for anyone who is an upstanding citizen. You can go to hotgunz.com and check for free just by putting in the serial number. If the seller doesn't want to give you the SN# then that should be a red flag right there that the possibility that the gun is stolen is very high. That is just my opinion. Have a good one!!

Been there. I purchased a Colt SAA at a local swap meet. Before I paid for the gun I called the SO and asked them to check the serial number on NCIC. It came back clean.

A week later the SO called and ask if I still had the gun as it was [B]justB] reported stolen. Apparently the owner had been on vacation and found the breakin when he returned.

Bottom line. SO recovered the gun. Me SOL Seller never found.

No charges filed against me ( Possession of stolen property) as I had checked with the SO before I purchased the gun.

OP was 3 years ago. Wonder what happend to his gun?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Sponsored Links