It seems I bought a stolen gun...

This is a discussion on It seems I bought a stolen gun... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; *sigh* I've been looking for a nice wheelgun and finally found a nice pre-lock 586 on GunBroker where the bidding didn't get run up too ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: It seems I bought a stolen gun...

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar

*sigh*

I've been looking for a nice wheelgun and finally found a nice pre-lock 586 on GunBroker where the bidding didn't get run up too far. The seller was a pawn shop, though with a sizable amount of A+ feedback on the site.

Last week the gun got to my local FFL for transfer, whereupon I had to fill out the MD state paperwork and begin the waiting period. Well, what do you know, MD State Police disapproved the transfer because that serial number has been reported as stolen.

Anyone else had this happen? For now, it seems like I just have to wait for the cops/ATF to contact the pawn shop and trace the guy who sold it to them and then see what happens.

I'll call the pawn shop after ATF talks to them. Hopefully they won't make it too big a hassle to get my money back, but I won't hold my breath. I suppose there is a remote chance that the gun may not be stolen (wrong s/n entered into a database somewhere), but I certainly won't put too much stock into that possibility...
    cruick1113 likes this.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    Well that's pretty lousy. Sorry to hear about it.

I wonder if there is a way to check the s/n before commiting to a purchase, sort of like a Carfax for guns? Obviously LE can do this, but can the rest of us just request a search on a particular s/n?
    "Mind own business"
    "Always cut cards"

that sucks...hope it all clears up and you get your $ back
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by RoadRunner71 View Post

I wonder if there is a way to check the s/n before commiting to a purchase, sort of like a Carfax for guns? Obviously LE can do this, but can the rest of us just request a search on a particular s/n?
    Who's going to start gunfax.com?

VIP Member
    Bummer. 'Not much more that I can say on this particular subject without spreading my ignorance. I'd be interested to hear from the FFL's on where the liability lies here? Is the pawn shop not responsible for a waiting period while the numbers are ran, before the gun is sold?

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    This is actually what really perplexed me. Here I am in Marylandistan, and I asked the transfer dealer about this. He told me that there is no requirement in Maryland law for him to run checks on guns being sold to him, nor is there any sort of mechanism for him that he knows of to do it on his own just for his own protection. He does get occasional faxes from MDSP advising him to be on the lookout for guns reported stolen, but that's about it.

The worst thing is that I got to see and handle the wheelgun when I showed up to do the paperwork. Oh, it was nice...
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Hopefully you paid with a credit card. if you didn't receive what you paid for, you can have the charge reversed.

Get this: In FL, if your property turns up in a pawn shop, to get it back you must pay the pawn shop what they paid for it--even if it was stolen! When some of my stuff was stolen and pawned, and the LEO informed me of this, I said the heck with it--it belongs to the insurace company now.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

That sucks man sorry to hear that, hopefully you get your money back soon!

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar

Actually I was thinking the same thing last night. I recently bought a used redhawk and I'd like to know where all it has been. Perhaps there is a database that a (verified and checked) person could gain access to with out signing over their first born etc..

Answering a few simple questions could permit you check a gun:
    1) ARE YOU IN POSSESSION OF THIS FIREARM OR ARE ATEMPTING PURCHASE IT?
    2) PLEASE STATE THE LOCATION OF THIS FIREARM AS OF THIS DATE
    3) PLEASE STATE THE NAME AND ADDRESS OF THE SELLER

etc., etc..

Probably too simple and would violate some Geneva Convention agreement or UN sanction...
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

There is a site that can be pulled up to check the s/n on firearms will have to do a bit of google search for the info I am not sure if it was for florida only

Senior Moderator
    http://pas.fdle.state.fl.us/pas/item/displayGunSearch.a

It only covers FDLE (Florida Department of Law Enforcement) listings, though.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Yeah, I could see it if all you had to enter was the serial number, make, model of gun and it comes back with information. Someone loses his CCW, bad guy finds it, runs serial number and knows where to go to possibly get some more. LOL I don't think it works like that, but that would be something.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

Ex Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WHEC724 View Post
    Is the pawn shop not responsible for a waiting period while the numbers are ran, before the gun is sold?

Here, and since it is a FED issue I imagine it's everywhere, the Pawn Shop HAS to run the numbers. I knew a girl who was hired by a big shop to just do the FFL work.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by kazzaerexys View Post
    This is actually what really perplexed me. Here I am in Marylandistan, and I asked the transfer dealer about this. He told me that there is no requirement in Maryland law for him to run checks on guns being sold to him, nor is there any sort of mechanism for him that he knows of to do it on his own just for his own protection. He does get occasional faxes from MDSP advising him to be on the lookout for guns reported stolen, but that's about it.

The worst thing is that I got to see and handle the wheelgun when I showed up to do the paperwork. Oh, it was nice...
    The pawn broker is subject to all of the federal regulations that apply to other FFL dealers. When the broker took the gun in either as a pawn, consignment or sale he could have contacted NICS on an optional basis prior to accepting the firearm. Your local dealer is correct. He is not required to run a background check by federal law or by your state law. Some states do require a background check. Federal law does not require a background check but of course recommends it. Some dealers or pawns forgo a background check when taking a used gun for sale or trade. If NICS returns a denied, there is no sale but the dealer or pawn broker must then contact both the local police and ATF. An NICS background check only checks a person. It does not return serial numbers.

Contact the FFL first. Do not offer to pay for return shipping. Contact ATF only if the Pawn does not agree to immediately return your money.
    Last edited by SIGP250; September 9th, 2010 at 05:20 PM. Reason: Add
    WD54241 likes this.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

GM
    Too bad that it happened. I hope you get your money back.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links