Do the Girl Scouts of America have awards or interest in shooting and gun safety?

This is a discussion on Do the Girl Scouts of America have awards or interest in shooting and gun safety? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I am trying to determine if our range can support Outreach Programs for the Girl Scouts? Any here active in GSA now?...

Thread: Do the Girl Scouts of America have awards or interest in shooting and gun safety?

Question Do the Girl Scouts of America have awards or interest in shooting and gun safety?

I am trying to determine if our range can support Outreach Programs for the Girl Scouts?

Any here active in GSA now?

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My daughter is a GS leader.

I just called her to dbl check.

Safety Wise the national guide lines for all GS troops specifically prohibits any activities with firearms.

Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Similar for Boy Scouts troops with the exception being the firearms activities at the summer camps. However, if the is a group that is interested, there is no reason that you couldn't coordinate activities for them as girls and their parents vs. Girl Scouts. It's important that as many of our children learn the proper use of firearms. IMHO.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chezrad View Post
    Similar for Boy Scouts troops with the exception being the firearms activities at the summer camps. However, if the is a group that is interested, there is no reason that you couldn't coordinate activities for them as girls and their parents vs. Girl Scouts. It's important that as many of our children learn the proper use of firearms. IMHO.
    Absolutely!

When my daughters were GS as youngsters and now as leaders the practice of coordinate activities outside of GS activities was/is common.

You might think about extending an invitation to your program through GS, BS, FFA, 4-H, Camp Fire US, YMCA/YWCA/ YMHA/YWHA, church youth groups, local Rec leagues, etc.

Maybe even extent safety training to some type of competition league. I can remember when youth in-door .22 was rather common.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

The boy scouts do not limit firearms usage to summer camps but the regulations are on the steep side for most troops to abide by. The main one is that There must be a certified NRA instructor present and running the activity. The other regulations essentially follow the NRA recommendations for a safe range area. I am not familiar with the girl scout regulations however I will share my organizations way around it.

The BSA organization has a sub organization called venturing which is a coed "high adventure" themed group with youth participants in the age range of 14-21. We run a Boy Scout troop, Girl Scout troop and Venture Crew. All the boys and girls are cross registered and most activity's are run under BSA regulations with the venture crew.

Another troop I have been apart of has let us arrange Non sanctioned shooting trips of course with signed slips from all parents stating they Know the trip is in no way affiliated with the organization it was publicized in.

GS do archery, but not firearms.
    A CCW is like a parachute; if you need one, and don't have one, you'll probably never need one again.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gilliland87 View Post

The BSA organization has a sub organization called venturing which is a coed "high adventure" themed group with youth participants in the age range of 14-21. We run a Boy Scout troop, Girl Scout troop and Venture Crew. All the boys and girls are cross registered and most activity's are run under BSA regulations with the venture crew.

Another troop I have been apart of has let us arrange Non sanctioned shooting trips of course with signed slips from all parents stating they Know the trip is in no way affiliated with the organization it was publicized in.
    BTDTGT -- That is what we had to do to practice or coordinate activities outside of GS activities. It was/is common and easy to do. As I mentioned in post #4 other youth groups can also be a source of activity coordinated by but not be affiliated with or be conducted under GSA leaders (as GSA leaders -- even if some of us were one-in-the-same).

BTW -- it also gave us a vehicle to raise $s for such activities that did not come under the GSA guidelines/restrictions.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Links