VIDEO: 8 y/o shoots PT145.

This is a discussion on VIDEO: 8 y/o shoots PT145. within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Go ahead a take a drink now, then put the cup down before you hit the link. Try not to duck while you watch. I'm ...

Thread: VIDEO: 8 y/o shoots PT145.

VIP Member Array paramedic70002's Avatar

VIDEO: 8 y/o shoots PT145.

Go ahead a take a drink now, then put the cup down before you hit the link. Try not to duck while you watch.

I'm all for kids learning about guns. Do you think this kid, and this Dad, are ready?
    "Each worker carried his sword strapped to his side." Nehemiah 4:18

Guns Save Lives. Paramedics Save Lives. But...
    Paramedics With Guns Scare People!

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Watching that made me sick to my stomach.

if he'd just keep it pointed down range he'd be alright.
    "I don't like repeat offenders, I like DEAD offenders!" -- Ted Nugent
    "Not everyone can be born with common sense, some are born liberals." -- MM218

Looks like dear old dad was never taught, thus never taught jr.....SAFETY FIRST!

Muzzle awareness was lacking... I think the kid crossed his own feet at least once.

The kid knew what he was about, but needed training. Also, even my 9mm PT111 is chunky for my adult male hands, and it was clear the kid could not obtain a good firing grip - his hands just weren't big enough. He wandered all over form a cup-and-saucer to a few attempts at a proper 2-handed grip, but I was afraid the gun was going to whack him in the forehead on recoil.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

It appeared to me that at the point that the boy began to move the muzzle from downrange, he was called on it by the vidographer.

I can't help but wonder if they keep that gun in a lock safe or is Mathew considered responsible enough to keep it around the house un-locked.
    He was very proud of what he was doing. I bet he can't wait to tell his friends. If the gun is un-locked I'd bet anything he'd take his buddies to show them the gun when dad isn't looking.
    "Confidence is food for the wise man but liquor for the fool"

GM
    I think that with more training he will be fine. I agree that muzzle awareness was lacking, and that the firearm was too big for him.
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

you guys always taking bad about anything, that kid have training

For a shooter that small in stature and physical strength, why the desire to have him shoot a full power defensive gun and one that is a compact at that?

Never mind that clearly improper manner of holding the gun is being used (taught!) because the guns grip is clearly too large for the shooters hands.

What is he doing really but being trained in how to improperly hold a semi-auto, poor muzzle awareness (multiple incidences of this), improper and poor trigger finger control (he's holding the gun with his trigger finger behind the trigger as the grip is otherwise too large to hold!)...Never mind that his hits are probably front door wide & tall if even hitting a target at all.
    45 ACP in my zone runs $21/box @ Dick's for FMJ. While a 550 rd. box of .22LR runs $11.

Why not set this boy up with a proper gun that he can handle, control and make use of effectively such as a Cricket bolt action carbine or some other type of rifle that can be fitted to the shooter.
    Show the child the fundamentals as basics of shooting for sake of functional accuracy, shot to shot. Firing low recoil low shot impulse .22LR.
    No way this boy has learned proper sight picture application or even trigger reset, with his hand barely able to physically hold the gun and reach the trigger.

Down the road when he's physically able enough graduate him up (!) to a full size handgun which is the most difficult of firearms to handle and shoot accurately due to it's one hand/two hand grip and short sight radius...Never mind that of a short barreled heavy thick double stack firing relatively high recoil (due to the physics of mass) ammunition.

Frankly I do not like to see stuff such as this.
    The boy is basically learning little if anything from the experience...But at least in this video the dad had the foresight to have the boy wear eye and ear protection, though no lid.

Do not do this. : |

- The NRA & The National Shooting Sports Foundation
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

If the kid does that with a light single action trigger.... ol' dad my be in for a really long dirt nap.
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

I agree with Jang,seems like Dads more interested in filming his kid shooting a 45 rather then focusing on good safety proper stance and having him shoot a gun that fits him.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Ironically today the following article by Wiley Clapp was posted to the American Rifleman website.
    I'm going to carry it over to it's own thread in a moment but soon asI read this I _immediately_ thought of this thread and associated cruddy video.

Learn with a .22
    9/10/2010
    http://www.americanrifleman.org/blogs/Learn-with-a-22/

There are even so called 'instructors' out there who advise stone newbie shooters to "try" ranges of calibers up to and including .45 ACP, .357 Magnum and even .44 Magnum too!
    Why? For what reason as to what end?!
    This calendar year alone I have been contacted by seven students asking to be taken to the range to shoot because they wanted to learn or had a lifetime goal to shoot a 'gun'. Of the seven six had been taken out before by some other I suppose well meaning person (husbands, brothers, uncles and fathers) and given high recoil handguns or longguns/shotguns (Either/or velocity and mass) to be 'baptized by fire' with only to wind up being scared out of their wits or even in three cases injured.
    They did not return nor entertain same for years, and in one mans case four decades!

Start with a .22 and focus on the fundamentals.
    There is no race to jump from a Big Wheel to a Hayabusa.
    Go it slow folks and build up skill. The shooter will have _more_ fun that way and will actually be more likely to want to return and BUY more ammo or even a gun, which in turn helps us all!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Quote Originally Posted by Sig35seven View Post
    I can't help but wonder if they keep that gun in a lock safe or is Mathew considered responsible enough to keep it around the house un-locked.
    He was very proud of what he was doing. I bet he can't wait to tell his friends. If the gun is un-locked I'd bet anything he'd take his buddies to show them the gun when dad isn't looking.
    In my opinion, this is the parents fault. There have been guns in the house quite literally my whole life, as my dad is an avid hunter. I started shooting as soon as I was able to hold a BB gun and progressively moved up - by age 8 I had shot my first deer with a .30 carbine rifle and was duck hunting with a 20 gauge. I was ready, both safety and skill, at this age to handle those firearms in those situations.

My dad, uncles, and their friends would all congratulate me and make a big deal on safety and marksmanship, but NEVER simply because I could shoot a large caliber gun. Guns were tools and I only need shoot the approrpriate tool for the situation. They never had me shoot a gun that had a caliber too big for me to handle - not only is this potentially dangerous, but it can develop some really bad habits, as you all know. In fact, I hunted waterfowl with the 20 gauge Remington 1100 until I was 16 and got a 12 gauge for Christmas.

My point being, the kid thinks it's a big deal to shoot a gun way to big for him to safely and accurately handle because his father (or whoever is teaching him) makes a big deal out of it. And, while that may increase the desire for the boy to show off to his friends, I think most younger kids have that urge; however, the less experience they are with guns, the more likely they are to "show off." Hence my position that all guns should be kept in a safe when kids are in the house.

A friend who had not much experience with firearms was excited about the prospect of heading to the range with me to shoot a variety of pistols, shotguns and rifles. Since he had very limited shooting experience, we agreed to make the focus be on safe handling of firearms. Each and every step we took began and finished with the proper safe handling procedures for a firearm at that stage. As we shot several (7-8) different guns across many hours, there was much time to go over the lessons again, again and again.

By the end of the session, he was able to perform the four safety guidelines each and every time, always kept his finger where it should be, cleanly handled reloads and unloading, and was able to make each gun "safe" prior to coming anywhere near another. This friend was an adult, of course, which is different than an excited young boy with a .45 and a lenient father.

I'd be willing to bet that my friend learned more in that several hours than this video kid has learned across years of watchin' dad and beggin' him to let him shoot the big guns. I hope they've gone over safety procedures, but from the video clip I fear that might be unlikely. I hope he's not the sort of kid that hunts through the home when the parents are gone, searching for the gun to play with.

Quote Originally Posted by Striker543 View Post
    In my opinion, this is the parents fault. My dad, uncles, and their friends would all congratulate me and make a big deal on safety and marksmanship, but NEVER simply because I could shoot a large caliber gun.
    Yup. Makes a big difference, having responsible people doing the instruction. That way, the lessons are firm, reinforced, and applied every time. Sounds like your training was full of congratulations for doing things right, for properly dealing with firearms being out and used, not just because you could do one thing or the other. Kudos to your teachers for their diligence to building overall competence and safety. It makes all the difference.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Links