The Kimber goes to church

This is a discussion on The Kimber goes to church within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Went to a close friend’s funeral service at the church that he had attended before his untimely death. Seeing that I was armed, as I ...

Thread: The Kimber goes to church

The Kimber goes to church

Went to a close friend’s funeral service at the church that he had attended before his untimely death.

Seeing that I was armed, as I always am I decided to inform the pastor of my condition. I went inside just enough to get his attention as he was greeting all his parishioners and the new visitors, as he finished with one set, I said to him leaning into the vestibule.
    “ Excuse me but you are the pastor, is that correct”? “Why yes I am.” Might I have a word with you in privet?

He steps closer to me, I inform that I had known Dave for more than 40 years and was close to him, he nods and is trying to figure out why I have called him out to tell him this.

I begin by saying that I am armed and that I have a carry permit, and that by law I must ask his permission to enter, he looks at me and asks why I am telling him all this………And why do you have a gun?

Well I have a permit from the state with a full back ground check I am as close to a model citizen as your likely to get, I carry it always for the defense of myself, and possibly others that may be around me.

P Oh no this isn’t that kind of church. I couldn’t possibly allow that, why don’t you just put it in your car?

ME: Well I could but I will not! I feel it would be quite irresponsible of me to place a gun in a car where any common criminal could grab it just to use it on his next victim.
    I am very sorry that you feel this way about it but I must respect your wishes and as such I will not be attending the services for Dave.

P Oh wait a minute, what does the law say?

ME: It states that, I must inform you, the decision is yours to make whether you allow me to carry in your church.

P: So then you are not a criminal?

ME : No of course not I have been back ground checked finger printed and FBI checked and I am quite competent in the handling of firearms as well.

P: So you have it on you right now?

ME: Yes.

P : Where is it? As he is looking at my body trying to figure out just where it might be located.

ME : It’s on my right side.

P: Well you’re not going to pull it out or anything are you?

ME : Of course not!

P: You obviously have it quite well hidden. Why didn’t you just come in and not tell anyone? I am sure that no one would notice.

ME: As I said before it is the law, I must inform you, and as a law abiding citizen I am following the rules and it would be dishonest of me. Not to mention if someone were to give me a hug that doesn’t know me and notices that I have a gun on me and tells you or calls the cops it could go very badly for me. Well as I said before the decision is yours.

P: Well of course we can’t turn you away, please come in!

2. Remove Ads

You did a good job of edducating him. Now the nxt time he's asked, he'll know why, and make it easier on the next person.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

Sorry about Dave but I'm glad the pastor got an education. "P: Well your not going to pull it out or anything are ya?" That's just funny right there. ...." Well pastor, Dave owed me alot money but I guess I won't have to shoot him now"
    "Success is how high you bounce when you hit bottom" Gen. George Patton

Yes nice job on explaining the situation, Sorry about your bud
    Last edited by rson63; September 14th, 2010 at 07:42 PM.

Distinguished Member Array BlueNinjaGo's Avatar
    Sorry to hear about the loss of your friend.

Quote Originally Posted by ntkb View Post
    Pastor: Oh no this isn’t that kind of church.
    Um, what kind of church is he referring to?

Also, you would think a Pastor would have an understanding of the need for protection at a church. Church shootings, as horrible as they are, are occurring at a frightening rate. I would think being in/near Detroit, the pastor would understand.

great encounter and educational for the P. Maybe he'll start packing!

Condolences on the loss of your friend.

I am glad that everything turned out OK following your conversation with the church official. However, I am inclined to believe that rather than approaching the pastor directly while people were showing up for the service, a phone call to him the day prior to determine the church's position on concealed weapons would have been more discrete and less startling to him. If there was a need to "educate" him regarding CC laws in the state, you could have explained it to him at that time. He would then have time to digest the information, and maybe do some checking of his own prior to the service.

In addition, I also don't think that it is a good idea to expound upon what good citizens concealed weapons licensees are, or the fact that we undergo background checks, finger printing, etc. People just aren't wired to accept such self aggrandizement from anyone.

Concealed is concealed, and that includes no general sharing of our armed status. Bottom line is find out the position of the church, or other establishment prior to showing up, then make an informed decision as to whether to carry or not. JMHO
    Last edited by gimpy; September 14th, 2010 at 03:03 PM.
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote Originally Posted by gimpy View Post
    I am glad that everything turned out OK following your conversation with the church official. However, I am inclined to believe that rather than approaching the pastor directly while people were showing up for the service, a phone call to him the day prior to determine the church's position on concealed weapons would have been more discrete and less startling to him. If there was a need to "educate" him regarding CC laws in the state, you could have explained it to him at that time. He would then have time to digest the information, and maybe do some checking of his own prior to the service.

In addition, I also don't think that it is a good idea to expound upon what good citizens concealed weapons licensees are, or the fact that we undergo background checks, finger printing, etc. People just aren't wired to accept such self aggrandizement from anyone.

Concealed is concealed, and that includes no general sharing of our armed status. Bottom line is find out the position of the church, or other establishment prior to showing up, then make an informed decision as to whether to carry or not. JMHO
    I suppose a phone call would have been less traumatic, however I didn’t have a number to call it’s not like I show up every Sunday, this was a onetime event for me.

I am sorry that you feel I handled it like some jackass, but that is how it was, and he now has had a gun toting citizen in his church and nobody died or was even shot at.

By the way I would not have attended without being armed!

I guess this is the reason I don’t post or comment as much as I have in the past, seems no matter what is said someone has a problem with it.

Well thanks for sharing.

Nice job explaining the law.
    It's hard to believe that every pastor in Detroit DOESN'T CCW.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and naive the common people really are. I don't mean this to be mean but, WOW. "You aren't a criminal, are you ???" LOL. Well pastor, now that you asked, I DO have to be honest ya know, and tell you I really am a bad guy. WOW.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarge45 View Post
    It never ceases to amaze me how ignorant and naive the common people really are. I don't mean this to be mean but, WOW. "You aren't a criminal, are you ???" LOL. Well pastor, now that you asked, I DO have to be honest ya know, and tell you I really am a bad guy. WOW.
    And people seem to be getting dumber by the generation.

ntkb, sorry for your loss.

Biker

Links