Won a ISSC .22LR

This is a discussion on Won a ISSC .22LR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I won a ISSC "Glock" look-a-like last Sat at a IDPA FOP match. Put 40 rounds thru it when I picked it up just to ...

Thread: Won a ISSC .22LR

Won a ISSC .22LR

I won a ISSC "Glock" look-a-like last Sat at a IDPA FOP match.
    Put 40 rounds thru it when I picked it up just to check function. It worked but it was loaded with MFG crud. I just striped, cleaned and lubed it.
    I am going to the range, anyone interested in a report on this?
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

2. Remove Ads

pics?

Those look very interesting...
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

OK - not much interest so I'll make it short. After a good cleaning and lube, it worked well for over 200 rounds of HV Fed HP. Accurate (fixed barrel), trigger OK plus it was fun. Take down is 3 parts, slide, recoil spring and frame. It's OK for the price.
    I just won an XD45 Tactical this past weekend, going to the shop to arrange shipment here.
    "Being PARANOID is just plain smart thinking when they are really out to get you!"

I just read a review on it,the guy said it needs hi velocity ammo,cheap stuff like federal bulk box and other brands doesn't have enough power to cycle the slide reliably
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

The bulk fed HV HP worked very well. When new,Nothing worked in it until I cleaned and lubed it. It likes to be clean without MFG junk and grease. I'll try other ammo as time permits. I have about 10 different brands / types.

I got one also and have no problems at all.

I just gave my wife one for her birthday and she's going out to shoot it this morning. On the take down, I noticed a moderate amount of gunk on the rails, etc. I assumed that it was break-in lube. The website says to run about 200 rounds through it then take down and clean, etc. I'm looking forward to seeing how she does. Seems like a very nice chice for her.

We took her ISSC M-22 to the range and ran a hundred rounds of CCI mini-mags through it. WOW ! what a super firearm. It is as much fun to fire as my Glock. The wife had a little trouble with limp-wristing it which resulted in a few failures to feed and she had a tendency to ride the slide when cocking the gun. Once she stopped doing those things, it worked great for her and her accuracy was really good. I found the gun to be VERY accurate although I seemed to fire a bit high to the right - have since adjusted the sights. This is a really super fun gun!!

When we got home I checked my email and found a letter from the ISSC Director of training, Roger Eckstine. I had asked him about the recommended technique for cleaning the gun. He replied iwth a detailed description of how he does it. I've asked him If I could post his letter here and a few other sites. I also suggested that he make a video of the cleaning process for youtube. I used Balistol on her gun since that is what I've been using on my Glock.

The summary of his note was that he finds it only necessary to clean after several hundred rounds. He starts by soaking the inside of the barrel in a foam cleaner while working on the slide. He then sleans the slide rails and puts a drop of oil on them. He uses a brass brush thru the barrel, carefully. removes accumulated debris. cleans and lubricates the frame rails; runs a patch with a small drop of oil thru the bore if the weapon is going to be stored, and after reassembly puts a drop of oil at the front edge of the barrel hood where it contakcts the edge of the ejection port, pulls back the slide and appllies a drop of oil to the barrel = done.

Just put another 300+ rounds thru it today. Will not function well with std vel. HV works well. Best accuracy was CCI Mini Mag HP and Stingers.
    No issues. Needed the highest front sight and still about 2" high at 25yds but at 3 to 15 yds it is fine. Not a target gun but a good plinker. About 4" - 5" at 25 yards from a sand bag. Wide front sight. Not bad for a free gun. It likes to be wet.
    I also won a SA XD45 Tactical at the Commonwealth Cup this past weekend. Awaiting it's arrival.

Cleaning the M-22

Here, with his permission, is the letter from the Director of Training. What great customer service!!

From: roger@issc-austria.com [mailto:roger@issc-austria.com]
    Sent: Wednesday, September 22, 2010 11:06 AM
    To: info@issc-austria.com
    Cc: bob@bobandbarb.org
    Subject: Letter re: cleaning

Dear Bob,

I don't clean my M22s until they stop running reliably. Usually after about 300 to 500 rounds depending on the ammunition and how well the gun has been broken in. (This generally means how many rounds have been through the gun.) Here is how I clean my M22 pistols.
    The first thing I do after removing the top end is remove the spring and wipe down the barrel. Next I prepare the inside of the barrel for cleaning. The grip frame and barrel, the lower end), are all one piece. I use one of the foam cleaners. Holding the gun so that the barrel is vertical, muzzle up, I shoot the foam into the barrel from the muzzle end until it starts to come out the chamber end. Next, I prop the lower end up against something so that the barrel is completely vertical, muzzle down. The idea is to prevent runoff into the action below. I let it sit in this position while I am working on the slide area. The foam will turn into a liquid and drain out the muzzle end.

To clean the top end I use a Q-tip to run inside the rails. This is the channel found on both sides at the bottom inner portion of the slide. If they are particularly dirty I will soak the Q-tip with Gun Scrub or an automotive Brake Cleaner and run it through the channel again. But, I never use the spray directly on the gun to flush out dirt. I also wipe out the inner surfaces of the slide. Once clean I put a drop of oil at 4 different points. These points are inside the frame rails. Two points opposite each other about 1/2 inch from the rear of the slide and about 1 inch from the front of the slide. Then I put the slide down on the bench upside down as I work on the top end.

Continuing with the top end I pick it up and hold it so that the barrel is vertical muzzle down. I wipe away the solvent from the chamber ramp and the areas surrounding it. I use a brass rod with a .22 cal brush through the barrel from the chamber side. Push all the way through and pull all the way out. If you are using a nylon bristled brush it is safe to use a scrubbing action inside the chamber area, (the rearward length of the barrel that holds the round). But, don't scrub so hard or unevenly so that the wire that supports the bristles contacts the bore.

To stop the solvent action from eating anything but the debris inside the barrel use the Gun Scrub or break cleaner. Attach the thin guide tube to the nozzle and push the tip into the chamber. This is the only time it is recommended to spray the gun. The cleaner should dry quickly but you can push through a dry patch to make sure. Check for debris sticking to the flat area around the chamber mouth. The edge of a piece of hard plastic is the best way to scrape away dirt and lead that can stick here.

Next, take a look at the hole where the firing pin shoots through the breech face. A plastic or metal pick can be used to pull out unburned powder if necessary. Take a look at the breech face itself. Surrounding the firing pin hole the surface is contoured to hold the rim of the cartridge. Use the metal or plastic pick to to clean the groove by running it around its edges. A nylon brush can also be helpful here.

Now I return to the top end and use a Q-tip to clear the frame rails just like I did the rails inside the slide. Before reassembly you may want to run a patch with a small drop of oil through the bore. This is recommended for any firearm that is going to be stored for a period of time.

After reassembly we recommend a drop of oil at the front edge of the barrel hood where it contacts the edge of the ejection port.
    Also, pull back the slide and lock it open. Apply drop of oil to the outer surface of the barrel.

I have to tell you, Bob, writing it down was more work than doing it. I know it was not nearly as pleasant. I find cleaning guns to be very relaxing. It is also a good way to bond with the weapon. Please feel free to contact us again if you have any questions. Thanks for writing.

Roger Eckstine
    Dir. of Training, ISSC Austria

And sighting in the M-22

Thanks, Bob. Hey, a sighting in video is a good idea. But, I think I can walk you through it just as easily as using a video presentation. I designed the Sight-in Target that should have come with your M22. Here is how it works. Set up on a bench at the 15 yard line. Look through the rear sight notch. Put the uppermost edge of the front sight directly below the white circle at the center of the target. When the sights are level and the front sight is in the center of the rear notch there should be a pair of vertical light bars between the outer sides of the front sight blade. They should appear as two rectangles of equal size. The front and rear sight are now in alignment. You can double check by looking to either side of the outer edge of the rear sight. Here too there should be two rectangles of equal size between the black vertical lines on the target and the outside of the rear sight.

It takes about 10 good shots to be sure the sights are correctly aligned. So, be paitent. Focus on the front sight. If the front sight is not more clear than the rear sight see if you can adjust your eye prescription. But, assuming your eyes are just fine, (this means the target is fuzzy, the rear sight is a little out of focus and ther front sight is crystal clear), here are some tips.

Steer, the front sight all the way through you trigger press until the shot breaks.
    No one can hold a gun perfectly still. (Pesky things like pulse and breathing get in the way.) Just keep correcting the front sight until the gun goes off, hopefully at the moment of perfect alignment.

Keep your eyes open through ignition. Build this habit. This way you'll know where the sights were when the gun went off. If you see the lightbar to the left of the front sight shrink or disappear you'll know to call the shot off to the left. Once you have the habit of calling your shots you'll be able to sight in the gun more quickly and effectively.

Thanks for a thoughtful question.

Roger

ISSC M22 22 cal

Out of the box I knew right away I liked the feel of the M22. The weight of the M22 was balanced and the stock grip and its divided finger sections fit my hand perfectly. I could toggle with my thumb the safety action and slide release & magazine release without an issue.

The M22 comes stock with a FULL Weaver rail vs. Glock, which only has 1 notch in their rail and an adjustable rear sight for training purposes. Basically itís a 22 cal Glock 17 (same size overall) training clone. I feel they did a really nice job with regards to the polymer frame and action as well as iron sights.

It has a single stack 10 round magazine and a large magazine well. The slide release, magazine release, & takedown lever are similar in style to the Glock. The biggest difference is that the M22 is a single action only pistol. The most obvious difference to a Glock is that it has a hammer & safety/decocker. Other safety features it has are: a magazine safety which will not allow the chambered round to fire with clip removed and a drop safety (firing pin safety) which is only disengaged when the trigger is pulled. If, after a fall, the hammer was released, then the firing pin would not be activated. It also has an integrated trigger lock.

What I really liked is that it has an adjustable rear site with Glock type U shape notch as well as a larger front sight but similar in style to the Glock 17.

After inspection was over, I took it to the range and tested it. The loading of the ten-shot magazine was easy. The magazine spring worked well and didnít need to be beat in to load easily like other cheaper .22LR.

Those wide white sights allowed me to group nicely on the first few shots. Double & triple tapping was a breeze due to the M22 4 Lb trigger pull. The recoil was the same as all .22LR, nothing major. I shot another 12 magazines through it and each time grouping got tighter. One big observation: I did not have a single misfire or jam whatsoever. I was firing CCI Mini-Mags & Remington Thunderbolts.

Overall I was impressed with the Austrian engineering and attentiveness to detail in its design. The level of safety in all the components and the relatively low cost of 22LR ammo make this gun a great buy for economical target practice and training.

Technical data
    Caliber .22LR
    Capacity 10 rounds.
    Action Single Action
    Trigger weight 4 lbs.
    Trigger travel 0.16 in.
    Overall length 7.00 in.
    Overall height 4.80 in.
    Overall width 1.00 in.
    Barrel length 4.00 in.
    Sight length 5.50 in.
    Weight (W/O magazine) 21.4 ozs.
    Weight empty magazine 2.7 ozs.

My gun is like an adult diaper, I wear it daily & no one has to know, until the day "crap happens"

Links