Anyone know anything about the Taurus ultra light in .38?

This is a discussion on Anyone know anything about the Taurus ultra light in .38? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Anyone know anything about the Taurus ultra light in .38? Looking for opinions/ experience good/bad/otherwise. A friend recent picked one up for his wife. Just ...

Thread: Anyone know anything about the Taurus ultra light in .38?

Anyone know anything about the Taurus ultra light in .38? Looking for opinions/ experience good/bad/otherwise. A friend recent picked one up for his wife. Just looking to see if anyone knows of any issues to look for later on down the road. I don't know anything about them.
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I know one blew up in my friends hand and made me nearly crap in a bag for the rest of my life? I know my belt saved me? I know I wouldnt get one of these... IMO... sorry :(
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Just tell your friends wife to put nothin to hot through it....nothin +p....be careful! The one my friend had that I sold him was blued with gold accents.

My wife absolutely loves her 85. Several hundred rounds and never a problem and it's extremely accurate. She likes it much more than her much more expensive S&W 638. Between my wife and myself we own four Taurus firearms and they all are great guns, and no I'm not a kool aid drinker when it comes to a particular gun. We also own Kimbers, Glocks, Smiths, Rugers, Charter Arms, and some others.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

I'll speak up as an actual owner of one (well, two):

I've had a Taurus Ultra-Lite for about 8 years now; Model 851SSUL. This has the shrouded hammer and adjustable rear blade. It's also ported - don't care for that - but this gun had a better trigger than any S+W snubby available at Hoffman's when I bought it.

Of course as a snub it gets carried a lot and shot relatively little - it's not what I would call a "recreational" gun. But with well over 1500 rounds through it - including several hundred +P rounds - the gun is solid and robust. The action locks up tight and the timing is perfect. I would absolutely trust my life to this gun. Is it an heirloom? No, but few of my guns are. Will it hold up like a Ruger SP101? Unlikely - but it also doesn't get constant use, maybe 300 rounds a year. It also didn't cost as much as the Smiths and Rugers

The snub that preceded this one is a stainless M85, 1992 vintage. A solid gun which remains with a friend back east for use when I visit. Said friend and his wife took a 2-day snubbie course at the S+W Academy last year, and brought a pair of S+W snubs plus my M85 as a backup. After the vaunted S+W 340 broke (cylinder FELL OUT), my shabby little M85 from that cheesy manufacturer Taurus was pressed into service and finished the course admirably. The 340 stayed behind in S+W's sick bay.

There is a lot of Taurus bashing that permeates this forum. They are not high-class, high-dollar guns, and no gunsmith uses them as a base for custom projects. But I own three - the two snubs mentioned plus a compact 9mm (PT111), collectively with just thousands or founds through them. The autopistol developed a problem, was sent back for warranty repair, and came back three weeks later all better.

One owner, three Tauruses (plus a couple dozen other guns to choose from), lots of rounds, one repair. Hard to consider my good experience as just a cosmic coincidence.

If you can afford it, definitely buy a S+W snub; or search the used market and get a Detective Special with 20% higher capacity. But if you need something more affordable, I vote for the Taurus.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Be aware of Taurus's less than outstanding customer service..

Links