TSA and Delta still don't know the drill

This is a discussion on TSA and Delta still don't know the drill within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by dukalmighty These are the people,the cream of the crop,that were highly trained to protect us from threats aboard aircraft.I feel so safe ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TSA and Delta still don't know the drill

Quote Originally Posted by dukalmighty View Post
    These are the people,the cream of the crop,that were highly trained to protect us from threats aboard aircraft.I feel so safe
    as they keep their feet firmly planted on the ground!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post
    TSA...a bunch of morons.

So I'm headed to pre-deployment combat skills training, flying commercial with my M9 and M4. The M9 is in my large lugagge case...the M4 is in a separate Pelican rifle case. I'm standing in line watching my luggage go through when the TSA "agent" asks for the key to the rifle case (the bag with the M9 went through without anyone saying a word). I ask him "why?" They need to inspect the case..

"OK....here's the key" (mind you, I'm also in uniform)

They proceed to open the case and start wiping down the M4 with the residue collection pads.

I asked the TSA agent what they are looking for. The answer: "We're checking for gunpowder residue"

"Are you serious!? It's a frickin' M4!...I was just shooting yesterday, and spent the overnight in an armory....lemme guess, you found some!?"

TSA "agent": "yes sir, we did"

Me: "Now what?"

TSA "agent": "have a safe flight"

Me: "So why did you wipe down a military weapon "looking" for residue, knowing you'd find some?"

TSA "agent": "That's our procedure"

Me: "I feel safer already"

Talking to this guy, it seemed as if he had a room temperature IQ....nice guy, just a dim bulb.
    Its not his fault that his agency has stupid policy. If the poor guy doesn't do it they will probably give him hell.
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

Quote Originally Posted by SIGguy229 View Post

Talking to this guy, it seemed as if he had a room temperature IQ....nice guy, just a dim bulb.
    Kinda giving thermometers and light bulbs a bad name here aren't you?
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

sounds like he's ready for a promotion.

Quote Originally Posted by paul34 View Post
    The TSA officer was in the wrong. Any container with a firearm should have NO kinds of markings (from either TSA or the airlines) that marks it as a container holding a firearm. If the form doesn't go inside, anyone would be able to see it. The form goes inside.
    You missed the part about the gun case going inside a larger suitcase. The form inside the suitcase, outside of the gun case, would not be visible to anyone.

I just did this leaving Lubbock. Two handguns in small cases, cable locked to the inside of my suitcase. Airline agent gave me the form, I signed, then she had me put it into the suitcase. She never looked at anything. Then I carried it over to TSA. They ran it through the x-ray (very slowly) and put it on the conveyer without opening anything.

Quote Originally Posted by ctsketch View Post
    Its not his fault that his agency has stupid policy. If the poor guy doesn't do it they will probably give him hell.
    No one says he has to work for them...
    "My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the **** out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Once you come to the realization that TSA is not intended to be security, but rather a trillion dollar Kabuki theater, things go much smoother. Rules change at the whim of anyone, and the rules are secret. (I once asked to see the rules in writing.)
    This week I refused to go through the full body scanner (my airport only has one, so it is not required) and was instead given a 15 minute patdown where every square inch of my ample body was touched. Even the bare soles of my feet got patted down. Now, had I been in any of the other 10 lines of security where there is no scanner, I would have cruised through. TSA could see from my ticket that I have 2 million miles of flying, I was in first class, and I'm a white haired anglo. No, I had to be humiliated by some bozo.
    You know what? I'll refuse every time I get stuck in that line, and while I'm getting patted down, I'll be pointing out all the security flaws in the airport. (there are many)

Quote Originally Posted by packinnova View Post
    No one says he has to work for them...
    In this economy you take the job that puts food on the table
    Glock 19
    Kahr PM9
    LMT-M4
    Mossberg 590
    Shodan, Jujutsu

TSA is like the runs after eating chili. If you are going to eat chili, you just put up with it.

LOL Guantes! Perfect example.

However I must keep my mouth shut for now. I flew a week ago, went in to declare my weapon, she said "oh your military, go over to that corner there will be a TSA agent over there". Went over there signed the slip, unlocked, put it in there asked him if he needed to check anything over before I locked it back; and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "naw". Lol.

I thought all of the TSA rules were great when I at the baggage claim I grabbed my bag and thought wait - they have all these rules but yet here I am with a gun IN a case WITH ammo, a key on my keychain to the box in the airport. Sure you'd have to get thru "security", but seriously? (This is a really, really small airport, but gee a hijacked plane is a hijacked plane). It just doesn't seem right.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

So if a bomb sniffing dog is used on the airplane, they won't hit on it ... would be my guess. .
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

I say do away with airport security and let everyone that wants to carry weapons on board. After 9/11 I assume any terrorist taking over the plane is going to kill us all anyway. Mutually assured destruction.

Quote Originally Posted by BrunetteMP View Post
    LOL Guantes! Perfect example.

However I must keep my mouth shut for now. I flew a week ago, went in to declare my weapon, she said "oh your military, go over to that corner there will be a TSA agent over there". Went over there signed the slip, unlocked, put it in there asked him if he needed to check anything over before I locked it back; and he just shrugged his shoulders and said "naw". Lol.

I thought all of the TSA rules were great when I at the baggage claim I grabbed my bag and thought wait - they have all these rules but yet here I am with a gun IN a case WITH ammo, a key on my keychain to the box in the airport. Sure you'd have to get thru "security", but seriously? (This is a really, really small airport, but gee a hijacked plane is a hijacked plane). It just doesn't seem right.
    bagage claim is not a secured area of the airport. that is why you can have all those items in the same location.
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links