TSA and Delta still don't know the drill

This is a discussion on TSA and Delta still don't know the drill within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My setup is that I have a small locked case that I am putting into my larger suitcase. Delta in SLC has me fill out ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

My setup is that I have a small locked case that I am putting into my larger suitcase.

Delta in SLC has me fill out the declaration and put it INTO the gun case and lock it. They take me over to TSA who does a "wipe down" test for who knows what. I guess by transporting a firearm I am now more interesting than the average Joe. TSA does not notice that they can't see the declaration. I make it to SEATAC with the bag. All is good.

Return trip. Delta SEATAC has me fill out the declaration and put it INTO the gun case. I take my own bag over to TSA. The guy asks me where the declaration is. I tell him that it is in the case. He looks at me like I'm a moron, has me open the case, remove the form. He then informs me that the form should be placed on the case so if the suitcase is selected for additional screening, they won't have to cut open the case. Made it to SLC with the bag. All is good.

Seems to me that if I show up telling them how they are supposed to do their job I'll get selected for additional screening, strip searched, and thrown in jail for a few days...

Other than that, carrying in Washington state was awesome.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I tend to agree with the TSA guy that the form inside is pretty useless. But I quit flying when the "sky-is-falling" syndrone took over flight security. I got tired of having my CPAP machine wiped down.

What does the regulation say about what to do with the form? TSA requirements are posted. Do that--screw the people who don't know the rules and should. I'll tell someone their job in a heartbeat if they don't know it--and inform their supervisor of the fact also. Don't put up with the "minimum-wage-stare" you'll probably get either.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

The 'marooooon' is the TSA agent who doesn't seem to know that THE TAG GOES INSIDE the firearm case.
    OK, I feel much better now.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I'm glad it is all so straightforward.
    We're all in favor of reducing violent crime. It's just that pro-gunners have a method that is proven effective. Anti-gunners don't.
    ---
    John Moses Browning day is January 24th, 2011

TSA...a bunch of morons.

So I'm headed to pre-deployment combat skills training, flying commercial with my M9 and M4. The M9 is in my large lugagge case...the M4 is in a separate Pelican rifle case. I'm standing in line watching my luggage go through when the TSA "agent" asks for the key to the rifle case (the bag with the M9 went through without anyone saying a word). I ask him "why?" They need to inspect the case..

"OK....here's the key" (mind you, I'm also in uniform)

They proceed to open the case and start wiping down the M4 with the residue collection pads.

I asked the TSA agent what they are looking for. The answer: "We're checking for gunpowder residue"

"Are you serious!? It's a frickin' M4!...I was just shooting yesterday, and spent the overnight in an armory....lemme guess, you found some!?"

TSA "agent": "yes sir, we did"

Me: "Now what?"

TSA "agent": "have a safe flight"

Me: "So why did you wipe down a military weapon "looking" for residue, knowing you'd find some?"

TSA "agent": "That's our procedure"

Me: "I feel safer already"

Talking to this guy, it seemed as if he had a room temperature IQ....nice guy, just a dim bulb.
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

These are the people,the cream of the crop,that were highly trained to protect us from threats aboard aircraft.I feel so safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    SIGguy, that made me laugh out loud, my supervisor literally gave me the evil eye as he pulled up and caught me on this site while in a patrol vehicle, so then i showed him the post and he also laughed. great story
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Sig, thus my comment on the minimum wage stare. I'm glad they found what they're looking for. Duh.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Senior Member Array highvoltage's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Coder View Post
    ......TSA who does a "wipe down" test for who knows what......
    Explosives residue.

I liked the one about the soldier who had his M4 wiped down.

Soldier in uniform = Note enough $$/year
    TSA agent = Probably too many $$/year
    Wiping down an M4 for residue = Priceless

BTW, a TSA agent was talking to a co-worker of mine. The agent commented that TSA stands for "Thousands Standing Around." A few of them get it.

SIGguy, that is hilarious. Good thing he's keeping you safe from that gunpowder residue everyone knew would be there...

Ya'll know that TSA is full of Brain Surgeons and Rocket Scientists that are moonlighting, don't ya? Give them a break.

did they check your suitcase to see if there were clothes in it?

The TSA officer was in the wrong. Any container with a firearm should have NO kinds of markings (from either TSA or the airlines) that marks it as a container holding a firearm. If the form doesn't go inside, anyone would be able to see it. The form goes inside.

I got selected for "random screening" last time I flew out of Orlando. They put me in this glass cage (strange) with two other kids. One of the kids, probably 14-15, must've had some sort of mental disability. He didn't belong in there. The other kid was probably 7-8, just your average kid. I realized just how ridiculous the whole thing is.

Quote Originally Posted by swinokur View Post
    did they check your suitcase to see if there were clothes in it?

No...the bag with the M9 went through without a problem...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links