Caught in the Crossfire

Caught in the Crossfire

This is a discussion on Caught in the Crossfire within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; In a ritual as predictable as hunting season, it's another election year and people are once again gunning for the NRA. Only this time the ...

Thread: Caught in the Crossfire

Caught in the Crossfire

In a ritual as predictable as hunting season, it's another election year and people are once again gunning for the NRA. Only this time the powerful gun-rights group and bęte noire of the left is taking friendly fire -- from activists on the right who are growing increasingly impatient with the NRA for taking stands at odds with the rest of the conservative movement. Where do you stand on this issue?

Senior Moderator
    The NRA gives up too much ground to liberals and anti's because they want to be seen as reasonable.

What the NRA should be doing is taking them to task for the systematic and piecemeal attempts at dismantling a critical part of the Bill of Rights.

Those that would do so are the enemy. You dont give ground to an enemy. You kill them to eliminate the threat. The strategy of the NRA is not to win, it is too slow the enemy and there are those in the NRA whose sole goal is too subvert it and render it impotent. You dont win by slowing an enemy and you dont let people on your board that would compromise.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    The NRA gives up too much ground to liberals and anti's because they want to be seen as reasonable.

What the NRA should be doing is taking them to task for the systematic and piecemeal attempts at dismantling a critical part of the Bill of Rights.

Those that would do so are the enemy. You dont give ground to an enemy. You kill them to eliminate the threat. The strategy of the NRA is not to win, it is too slow the enemy and there are those in the NRA whose sole goal is too subvert it and render it impotent. You dont win by slowing an enemy and you dont let people on your board that would compromise.
    I couldn't have said it better myself. I prefer GOA, I don't see them compromising.

I VOTE the way I see fit. NRA Has no effect on my voting , Unless we see the the same candadate fit for office, Not in NRAs' POCKET ; )
    H/D
    A Native Floridian = RARE

IT'S OUR RIGHTS>THEY WANT TO WRONG
    H/D

Distinguished Member Array Jason Storm's Avatar
    Same here. Been with GOA for some time now. I regretted starting my membership with the NRA before the Disclose and Reid fiasco. Because of that, I will never renew it when it comes time to do so.

I support them both. There is no denying the NRA's overall success in defending our RKBA, which far surpasses anything any other group has done - bar none.

The GOA argues from a "take no prisoners, don't give an inch" standpoint, which is admirable yet not always effective.

One point that the NRA harps on incessantly is that half of the American households own guns, the majority of Americans support the right to keep and bear arms, yet only a tiny fraction are willing to join the NRA - or any other group - to work together to preserve those rights. That's shameful and frankly, an embarrassment.

Pick the pro-gun organization of your choice, but for heaven's sake, get off your duff and join! You don't have to agree with the group's philosophy 100% of the time in order to support them.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

VIP Member

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post

Than you. At least I am not alone.

For the most part, I feel closely aligned to the NRA's views.

I brlieve they made a poor decision making deals to exempt themselves concerning the so far defunct Disclose Acts. I respect their point that they are a 2a org, not a 1a. However, I think that is splitting hairs given the issue.

Other then that, I have few problems with the NRA. I like that they don't give up on words like reasonable, instead point out how the anti-2a groups are infact unreasonable. The NRA is one of the few groups I feel closely aligned with.
    NRA Member
    S&W 642 (no-lock) with .38 Spl +P 135 GR Gold GDHP
    Glock G31 & G33 with .357 Sig 125 GR. SXT Winchester Ranger

I joined the NRA the day I bought my first firearm and I've never looked back. They've been a strong advocate for 2A rights in this country and they command a lot of influence in legislatures across the nation. The GOA is nice an' stuff, but they aren't a blip on the radar compared to NRA.

If you have personal areas of conflict with the NRA and NRA-ILA, then just like any other political framework, it'd be better to get involved and communicate with them, look to participate both at the member and officer level, and increase your clout with the organization and steer it in the direction you think they should be moving.

Just sitting around griping that you don't like them is kind of a non-starter. For better or worse, they are the big dog looking out for our interests as gun owners and shooting enthusiasts.
    "It may seem difficult at first, but everything is difficult at first."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    The NRA, like anything else, trips and stubs it's toe on occasion. I won't abandon it for the 10% of actions I don't necessaarily agree with. (90% of something is better than nothing.)

I make my stand at the voting booth: incumbents out; new bllod in.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I've been a member of the NRA for many years. I was not happy with their compromise on the Disclose Act. I ended up joining GOA shortly thereafter. I still support both though. I understand the need for compromise sometimes but the sacrifice of the 1A can only do harm to the 2A and makes it harder to take away the power of those already on top.
    "Legitimate use of violence can only be that which is required in self-defense."
    Ron Paul.

Distinguished Member Array AutoFan's Avatar
    In my opinion the NRA is more concerned with making the NRA more important than supporting the 2nd Amendment. The recent Disclose Act fiasco comes to mind where once they got exempted, they backed away, saying they just defend the 2nd Amendment, not the first (except for the NRA). What I think they should have done is kept opposing it until all the 2nd Amendment organizations were exempted. I'll still stay a member (maybe drop down to year to year, though) and give money to GOA and SAF.

Sponsored Links