Sig 9mm sct with night sights shooting low

This is a discussion on Sig 9mm sct with night sights shooting low within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Just got my new sig sct in 9mm took it to the range and was only able to shoot a box of ammo an notice ...

Thread: Sig 9mm sct with night sights shooting low

Sig 9mm sct with night sights shooting low

Just got my new sig sct in 9mm took it to the range and was only able to shoot a box of ammo an notice that i was shooting low from just a couple of rounds, at first thinking my fault, but there were a few buddies there with a bit more experince so I gave them a go at it as well an they all shoot it low, one of them has a p229 as well an let me shoot off a few rounds an i was right on target with nice grouping so I am wondering what I should do to correct my P229 as sending back to the factory is not an option at this point as I am overseas I am thnking changing rear sights, anyone else ever experience this problem or have any suggestions?

Thanks

2. Remove Ads

You can do one of 4 things,if your shooting 115 grain ammo,try shooting 147 grain heavier ammo will usually hit a little higher,#2 practice with your front sight raised above rear sight til you hit where you want.#3 taller rear sight,#4 shorter front sight
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Thanks, I am shooting 115 grain ammo will see if I can get my hands on some 147 grain see if that helps if not I am thinking of raising my rear sight, the front sight is rather long its the night sight that comes on the sig sct 9mm.

<chuckles> You won't notice a different by going to a 147 in my experience. It sounds like your front sight is too tall. Most manufacturers make them in different heights to address just this problem. If you shot fine with it before the sight change, that's what it is. Going to submachine gun ammo will only make it hit low with heavier bullets. <g>
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Distinguished Member Array kazzaerexys's Avatar
    I'd shoot it resting from a bench just to make absolutely sure it is not a shooter induced problem. Assuming it is the gun, then HK Dan is probably right---wrong sights. SIG sights are numbered front and back, and each gun has an appropriate combo to make it hit correctly at 25yds. Unfortunately, I think the sight numbers are engraved on the bottom, meaning you can't tell which sight you have until it comes off. I may be wrong, so look carefully at each part of the sight to see if you find a small digit engraved somewhere. If you do, and you look up the correct numbers, you can see if the sights were properly installed.

Are you sighting with the center dot over the target, or for six o'clock hold?
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Senior Moderator
    The SCT comes with a TruGlo fiber / tritium front sight, which IIRC isn't numbered.

How low is it hitting? IIRC, mine came from the factory set up so that the round hits where the front dot is - i.e. if you use the traditional 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye, you'll hit low.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Ah, no, the TruGlo would not be numbered; that only applies to the SIGlite night sights and standard contrast sights. I didn't realize the SCT came with after-market sights.
    “What is a moderate interpretation of [the Constitution]? Halfway between what it says and [...] what you want it to say?” —Justice Antonin Scalia

SIG: P220R SS Elite SAO, P220R SAO, P220R Carry, P226R Navy, P226, P239/.40S&W, P2022/.40S&W; GSR 5", P6.

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MattInFla View Post
    The SCT comes with a TruGlo fiber / tritium front sight, which IIRC isn't numbered.

How low is it hitting? IIRC, mine came from the factory set up so that the round hits where the front dot is - i.e. if you use the traditional 6 o'clock hold on a bullseye, you'll hit low.

Matt
    What he said.

VIP Member
    I would first try some different ammo. Speer Gold Dot, Federal Premium. The sights should have numbers on them, probably #6 front, #8 rear. If they are factory NS they would be Sig-lite made by Mepro-light. You could lower the front sight (lower number) or raise the rear sight (higher number). You can't do this without a gunsmith or without a sight pusher tool. The sights are also sold in pairs.

Sig sets the sights at the factory as combat sights. The difference is how it is zeroed and aimed at the target. While target sights require you to align the sights then place your target or intended point of impact riding just above the front sight combat sights of the three dot type requires you to cover your intended point of impact with the front sight dot, of course while also keeping the rear and front sights aligned.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Thanks for all the info, I am going to take it out tomorrow to see if its really shooter problem, and the number on the rear sight is 8, not sure about the front which is the tru glo that it came with, I am aiming centering the front sight between the rear two dots, which on my friend's p229 seem to work just fine for me an able to hit the bullseye on the target with about 3" group at about 10 yards, well I cant find any other ammo at the moment to try only have 115 grain, ammo is real scarce where I am at. my shots are dropping about 6" off intended point of aim the only amorer here is a LEO so I might have to purchase a larger rear sight and get the tool and have him change it.
    the gun shoots good when aiming at larger targets with good center mass shots but aiming its drops low if that makes any sense to you guys

Quote Originally Posted by Islandp229 View Post
    Thanks for all the info, I am going to take it out tomorrow to see if its really shooter problem, and the number on the rear sight is 8, not sure about the front which is the tru glo that it came with[...]
    6" is a definite problem; that is not just a matter of six o'clock hold vs. center hold. If this was bought brand new from SIG, then they need to put the correct rear sight on it. Certainly changing out the rear sight seems the best way to go, though; it's easy to do if you have the SIG sight pusher tool. If you check out the Armorer's forum over at SIGforum, they have a sticky thread for people who need to borrow a sight pusher tool.

Good luck!

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    The O.P. has never said at what distance he is shooting. I still maintain his problem is probably his hold. A six inch difference is not unbelievable.

The distance I was shooting was about 20' however went to an outrange on saturday and had an instructer there that was teaching us lil basic on shooting without using your sights seem to do much better there with hitting the targets and shot placement so may hold out for now on making any changes to sights, thinking in real life scenario might not have the chance to really line up sight anyway, after the session ran about 30 or so rounds to check sights, shots still went low when using sights, all in all it was a good day at the range with where i shot in the top 3 in the group with my sig.

Links