Kimber Back to Mfgr for Service

This is a discussion on Kimber Back to Mfgr for Service within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; UPS'd my stainless Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II back to Kimber today. Gun has always had a problem with jamming. As a result, I haven't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber Back to Mfgr for Service

UPS'd my stainless Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II back to Kimber today. Gun has always had a problem with jamming. As a result, I haven't shot it much and, since I have other guns, it wasn't a matter of necessity. It wasn't until I took it to the range a couple weeks ago that I finally figured out what was going on. At least once per magazine, it has a failure to extract. The extractor pulls the spend shell out part way and leaves it. And the problem seems to be getting worse.

Since this is the first time I've sent a gun back for service, I have no idea what to expect. Any comments regarding either the problem or time frames from those of you that have returned weapons to a manufacturer would be appreciated.

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    What it sounds like is a defective extractor or the extractor is in need of adjustment. Any gunsmith can do both, probably for a lot less than it cost to ship back. Since it's extracting about 90% of the time, my guess would be it needs adjustment to latch on more firmly to the casing. An easy way to test for this, is to field strip the gun. Take the bare slide and push a cartridge up from below into the extractor. The extractor should hold it firmly in place. If it's very loose or falls out, it needs adjustment.
    Although this is a simple operation, your gun will have to wait it's turn. Depending on their workload, it could be a week or several months before you get it back from the factory.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    Kind of like buying a $100,000 sportscar that spends most of its time in the shop, isn't it? You'd think for that amount of $ they'd take the time to get it right.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Just a guess, but I would bet that it comes back from them doing exactly the same thing. I hate dealing with Kimber CS and will do whatever it takes to avoid them. My 3 Kimbers run great and Kimber CS had nothing to do with that. My biggest beef is that you can't just call them up and talk to them about problems with your pistol. Their stock answer is "you'll need to send it in" and they activiely will end all conversation at that point.
    "Those who would give up essential liberties for a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty or safety" -Benjamin Franklin-

Quote Originally Posted by Backroad View Post
    UPS'd my stainless Kimber .45 Ultra Carry II back to Kimber today. Gun has always had a problem with jamming. As a result, I haven't shot it much and, since I have other guns, it wasn't a matter of necessity. It wasn't until I took it to the range a couple weeks ago that I finally figured out what was going on. At least once per magazine, it has a failure to extract. The extractor pulls the spend shell out part way and leaves it. And the problem seems to be getting worse.

Since this is the first time I've sent a gun back for service, I have no idea what to expect. Any comments regarding either the problem or time frames from those of you that have returned weapons to a manufacturer would be appreciated.

al
    I sent in my 9mm Ultra CDP recently @ Kimber's expense & it came back flawless. Same problem as you - failure to extract. They adjusted extractor and viola! 100% now. I had shot close to 1500 rounds before it failed though.

I think you will be satisfied.

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    Kind of like buying a $100,000 sportscar that spends most of its time in the shop, isn't it? You'd think for that amount of $ they'd take the time to get it right.
    That's what I was thinking...

Thanks for the input, folks. If it comes back and is still marginal, I'll take it to a local gunsmith. Damn thing cost me $82 to insure and overnight to Kimber! Not only that, but UPS puts a little notation on the shipping label that says, "HAND GUN". Won't let them do that again. Kind of like putting a sign on it that says, "steal me". At any rate, it made it to Kimber, so hopefully it'll wind up the same way ppmd's did. Really like the gun - aside from the failure to extract, it's accurate and lightweight to carry.

al

Next time you can ship 2 day air and it's still within the rules.

Kimber should make it right, and I would call after a few days to get a perspective on return dates.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array Diddle's Avatar
    I always considered anything over $600.00 to be an expensive piece. And something I can't afford. That being said, most every Kimber I've looked at was like $1200.00 and up. At that proce point I'd be pretty hacked off if I had a problem. Yes, I know, I am odd....
    Diddle
    Indusrtrial Machine Tool Technician - Certified Refrigeration Technician - CET
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    If the gun was still under warranty you should have insisted on a prepaid shipping label from them. When I sent my Springfield Loaded Champion in for service, they emailed me the prepaid, insured label. Only thing I paid for was the gas to take it to the shipping station and to pick it up.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Unfortunately, the gun was purchased back in 2005. And I think I'll go along with what RetSupt99 said and call Kimber in a couple more days. I have a Glock 30 and a Colt Officers .45 - both less expensive guns. Never had a problem with either of them.

al

I had to send my Kimber in for repairs and had a great experience dealing with them. I was having problems with a round jamming up on the feed ramp. So I called them up and had a lengthy conversation about it. End result was for me ot send it in on my dime for warranty repairs. I didnt have too much of an issue with it since I was the second owner of a used gun my wife got me for Christmas a couple years ago. They replaced the slide, extractor, and spring for No Charge.

Since then, she fires great all the time. Im happy.

UPDATE - Gun is back as of 10/19. Took about a month. I now have a brand new slide - with an INTERNAL extractor as compared to the original EXTERNAL extractor. Will try to shoot it this weekend to make sure that did the trick.

And Kimber sent it back 2-DAY AIR. Don't know why they asked me to send it NEXT DAY AIR. As near as I can tell, they didn't insure it either, nor was it labeled as a firearm. It did request an adult signature. They may have something special going with their local UPS people.

al

Now you see why Kimber moved away from their external extractor design. S+W and Sig seem to manage that OK, but Kimber had a lot of problems. Good to see them not cheese out with some minor tweak of the old design.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links