Colt Detective

This is a discussion on Colt Detective within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been reading a bit about the Colt Detective, apparently the firearm of choice for plainclothes officers back in the 20's and 30's. I'm thinking ...

Thread: Colt Detective

Colt Detective

I've been reading a bit about the Colt Detective, apparently the firearm of choice for plainclothes officers back in the 20's and 30's. I'm thinking it would be fun to try one out. I haven't done much shooting with a "wheel gun" (most of my work has been with a Glock 20 and Baby Glock in 40S&W)..I'll need a new conceal holster etc...but beyond that what are some other considerations...I guess the recoil will be heavier, shorter barrel will give less accuracy. I'll have to practice manipulating the firearm and reloads etc. ..but I thought it would be fun to try it out and add it to my collection If it was good enough for Elliot Ness, it has to be good enough for me :)

2. Remove Ads

Colt made some fine firearms, and they are excelent over time. There are some for sale these day's, but they are comanding some high prices. I wish I had all
    the Colt's I have gotten rid od over the years. But they are THE BEST in my opinion, and I rust my life with two that I now own on a regular bassis. Good luck
    finding one at a price you are willing to pay.
    US ARMY Veteran 1965-1967 Vietnam 1966-1967
    WELCOME HOME TO ALL WHO SERVED, AND FOR THOSE STILL SERVING,
    A BIG THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE. FOR THOSE OF YOU DOWN RANGE
    WATCH YOUR 6, AND KEEP YOUR HEAD DOWN.
    A PATRIOT BELIEVES IN IT....A VETERAN LIVED IT

I occasionally carry a Detective Special and really like the revolver. The Detective Special is capable of great accuracy. I can shoot a Detective Special with better accuracy than I can shoot a J-Frame Smith & Wesson revolver. The Detective Special handles recoil better than a J-Frame. The Detective Special fits any place a J-Frame may be carried and holds 6 rounds to the J-Frame's 5. The Detective Special is a snub for the thoughtful shooter. What's not to like?

Only thing wrong with the Detective Special is that Colt no longer produces them and existing examples are beginning to be pricey.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

I have had a few over the years and drifted back to smith's. Seen several I would have liked, but the timing was off. This seems to be common with these revolvers.

To the OP, I had a 1974 year model and it was a dream to shoot and no, it did not kick as bad as a G27 and accuracy was very good.
    It was as fine of an example of a revolver as I ever shot. You really should pick one up if you can find one in good shape.
    PS. I'm very good at helping other people spend money.
    Zoe: "Preacher, don't the Bible have some pretty specific things to say about killing?

Book: "Quite specific. It is, however, somewhat fuzzier on the subject of kneecaps."

They're great. I have one. They no more or less go out of time than any gun from the 30s-90s, if it does, it's not an Einstein job to correct it - like any revolver (and yes, gunsmiths do know how to repair Colts unless it is some weird and complicated issue - then Colt knows. They haven't gone anyplace.)

Anyway, shooting 6 rounds, deadly accurate, heavy enough to give stability in shooting while light enough to carry comfortably it is thought by many to be THE snub-revolver. Go to www.coltforum.com. the Colt experts site and ask the same question. Ask the experts.

About $400 with patient looking in local stores and Gunbroker and other auction sites will get you a good one. (Always use credit card based payment on the web or skip it if it's just M.O. or check. PayPal with a disguised way of naming the item bought - they are not big on private gun purchases - or GunPal or a Credit Card straight-out if the seller can handle C.Card transactions are by far the safest way)

Here's a classic article from Guns & Ammo about a classic gun:

http://www.gunsandammo.com/content/c...ective-special

Links