Spreading the Firepower Vibe - Gun Shopping for My Dad

This is a discussion on Spreading the Firepower Vibe - Gun Shopping for My Dad within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; My dad who never really grew up with guns is actually a great shot, upon visiting family we went out shooting with one of my ...

Thread: Spreading the Firepower Vibe - Gun Shopping for My Dad

Spreading the Firepower Vibe - Gun Shopping for My Dad

My dad who never really grew up with guns is actually a great shot, upon visiting family we went out shooting with one of my pistols that I brought out to their state, he handled the weapon with great control and aim. He's had a 22lr for the past 18(ish) years and uses it primary for varmint control.

Me, being the gun bunny I am, questioned him on why he's never had something with a little more punch. I even offered to let him borrow a 12g of mine for a bit to see how he likes it. But now that I think about it, I don't think I could part with it for that long, ha.

Anyway, conveniently a gun show is going to be in town this weekend and my father is planning on going with me (brave man he is). So my thoughts are, looking at a 12g for him. They live in a great area (out in the country) with zero crime (exaggeration, but in the 22 years they've been here no one within a 5 mile radius has been robbed). They do however had bobcat, bears, etc. He liked the 12g idea and even threw out there the possibility of a handgun (he's never owned one).

So if ya'll would be so kind to throw out some suggestions that I could keep in mind while browsing at the gun show I'd appreciate it! I was kinda thinking a simple Glock (like a 23) in a .40 or .45 cal, handgun wise.. he did seem comfortable with my XD40 as he is left handed and having that ambidextrous mag drop was nice.

Watch us pull out the gun show with an AK or SKS. I'd actually love to get him hooked on the AKs... Perhaps if we see a 'price is right deal'... ha.

Thanks.
    When the pin is pulled, Mr. Grenade is not our friend. - US Marine Corps

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Headed to the show myself this weekend, have had very good luck at the Goldsboro shows before, S&W Model 41 for $650, Firestar M43 $250 and several others. Much better prices than Raleigh.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Hey Msgt - Sadly I'm in AR right now. Missing out on the show back in NC. :-( Hope some sweet deals come your way there!

VIP Member
    I have not been to an Ark gun show in years never home at the right time. I would let him look and just steer for the moment. He must find something he is comfortable with that he will use or he will grow tired of it quickly.
    Glock or XD would fill the bill if he decides on a handgun but with 4 legged critters you mentioned you may look at a good revolver in a heavier caliber. Just an idea.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

LOL! So....are you going shopping for your dad....or with your dad? Mena, Mt Home, or Springdale? Those are the only three I have listed for this weekend. I was close to Mt Home today (Flippin actually). I live close to Springdale. You guys may be a lot closer than you think. That's cool in my book. Have a good time at the gun show!

I'll agree with tac... let the shooter make the choice.

Let him decide what "fits" best and he's more comfortable with than others.

Hey Ram Rod - We're going to the Springdale one. I'm visiting on leave time, so I'm trying to get everyone settled up with a fun before Uncle Sam calls me back. Lol!

Tac - That thought crossed my mind too. I don't have much experience with revolvers, only shot a few here and there, not really sure what prices they run either. I'll add that to the "list". Lol!

If I can throw in my $0.02.

If you are looking at Revolvers I'd look at the Ruger GP100 with a 4" Barrel for home defense and carry in the woods. For concealed carry in town he may like the 3" or 2 1/4" SP101.

Both guns can be "cleaned up" quite nicely, and given a decent but still reliable trigger. If you spend some time over at:

www.rugerforum.net

once you have enough post you will be able to view the Library section. In there you will find the IBOK. It's well worth the time and effort to view it if you want to "clean up" a Ruger Revolver.

Biker

MP....

I cant say enough about my Glock 19 Gen 3. Great gun. Might want to give one a look.

Good luck at the show. I'm sure you'll help him find what's right for him.

Links