handling your guns - Page 2

handling your guns

This is a discussion on handling your guns within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by OldLincoln Uh, do you wear protection...... Soft lint free white cloves that is? I was taught (over 50 years ago) to NEVER ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by OldLincoln View Post
    Uh, do you wear protection...... Soft lint free white cloves that is? I was taught (over 50 years ago) to NEVER handle a gun without the cotton gloves - period. If a bad guy were coming, it would be: 1) gloves on - check; 2) gun loaded - check; 3) backdrop clear - check; 4) correct shooting position - check; 5) aim correctly - check; 6) breath then hold half - check; 7) slowly squeeze trigger - bang!

Things have changed a bit since then, but when I inherited my father's Colt Commander, it was in a gun pouch along with a manual and ... gloves. Only need steps 1 & 2 to fondle.
    Ah be careful of fondling if you are in Step 2........you may have a premature..... ah you know.
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I handle them all the time, old and new. I thought everyone did...
    Aye.....same here. Been a while since I fondled a new one, but I keep myself occupied. Get those sudden urges, or a visual or keyword sets me off and the safe gets opened. Dogs went nuts over something outside last night in the fog.........don't know why exactly but the AR15 came out for the first time in a couple of months....maybe because it's got the light, laser, and red dot and a staggered magazine of FMJ and HP. After clearing the area, coming back inside, I had to spend the next 30 minutes or so going over it. Now....come to think about it...may be time to swap out the loaded 20 round mag for a fresh one. Maybe I'll fondle it some more as well. No gloves here.

I guess it depends on how you view it. I prefer to think of it as familiarization training and testing potential application viability. As an example I can draw my carry gun upside down with my off hand and fire using my pinky on the trigger. I cannot do this with my practice gun as it does not have the modifications that my carry gun has. Something I consider valuable to know.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by INccwchris View Post
    Am, I the only one who when I get a new gun that I can't shoot, I will just sit and hold it lovingly, maybe looking specifically at a certain part, polish it a bit, clean it when it dosen't need it, anything to have it in my hands? Am I the only one who does this with a new gun that I havn't shot yet, or are there other people that enjoy just holding and cleaning their guns
    You are the only one

Distinguished Member Array INccwchris's Avatar
    i have a set of cotten gloves that i wear when i am cleaning my guns, after each cleaning i wash the gloves, that way i can let the oil just soak into the finger of the glove and use my finger to lube the gun, obviously except for parts i cant get too, but it makes cleaning and lubing alot easier to wear cotten gloves
    "The value you put on the lost will be determined by the sacrifice you are willing to make to seek them until they are found."

GM
    Are we no supposed to do that?
    "The Second Amendment: America's Original Homeland Security"

Am, I the only one who when I get a new gun that I can't shoot, I will just sit and hold it lovingly, maybe looking specifically at a certain part, polish it a bit, clean it when it dosen't need it, anything to have it in my hands? Am I the only one who does this with a new gun that I havn't shot yet, or are there other people that enjoy just holding and cleaning their guns
    Absolutely!!! I am very particular with my choices and put a lot of consideration into a firearm purchase. I enjoy well made (does not have to be an ED Brown to qualify) and finished pistols and rifles. I find the mechanics and machining fascinating on everything from a well timed Colt revolver to the rotary bolt of an AR. I "do" sit into the wee hours with a new acquisition working the action, examining the lock up and checking out the finish.
    Its sort of a mystic thing and the only example I can give is to quote Steve McQueen in the Sand Pebbles, "Hello engine...I'm Jake Holman..."
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    I handle them all the time, old and new. I thought everyone did...
    Same here
    Colt New Agent, Dan Wesson V-Bob, Glock 19,20SF, 23, 26, 27, 29, 30SF, 36, Kahr P380 w/CT, PM9, PM45, CW9(SOLD), Kel-Tec P32, P3AT, PF9(SOLD), Kimber Ultra Crimson Carry II, Stainless Pro TLE/RL II (SOLD), Rohrbaugh R9s, Ruger LCP w/CT, LCR, SP101 S&W J-Frame 638 w/CT, M&P 340 w/CT, Walther PPK/S

Yep I just assumed everyone did it!

Well of course, it's a new toy. And besides, you gotta take it apart and clean it at least once before it hits the range. Have to admit though I hadn't thought about that clever glove trick...

I still have a nickle-plated Colt Python in .357 that I bought about 15 years ago that I have never shot. That gun was introduced when I was just a kid and I knew I eventually had to have one - even if I wasn't going to use it. I do wipe it down occasionally.....

al
    "gettin' there is half the fun."

Am, I the only one who when I get a new gun that I can't shoot, I will just sit and hold it lovingly, maybe looking specifically at a certain part, polish it a bit, clean it when it dosen't need it, anything to have it in my hands?
    No.
    I give special treatment to all new family additions.
    You want them to know you're on their side, don't you?

I think there is a karma with mechanical things. I learned that if I ignored my boat, it would have trouble. They know.

Didn't anyone ever teach you not to fondle your gun lest you shoot your eye out?

"My God David, We're a Civilized society."

"Sure, As long as the machines are workin' and you can call 911. But you take those things away, you throw people in the dark, and you scare the crap out of them; no more rules...You'll see how primitive they can get."
    -The Mist (2007)

Quote Originally Posted by Eagleks View Post
    It's OK.... you are normal !

I also clean mine thoroughly, so I"m sure I know how to break it down, etc. as well. It gives me more handling time with it as well.
    Thats it in a nutshell. I don't know which leads to which, cleaning gets you familiar with it, getting familiar with it means you have to clean it afterwards, ogling leads to both...whatever. If you love guns, you're gonna do it
    Light travels faster than sound...thats why some people appear bright before they speak

Well you know what they say, "Only two types of people, those who do it and those who lie about it".

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links