Defensive Carry banner

handling your guns

3K views 31 replies 29 participants last post by  automatic slim 
#1 ·
Am, I the only one who when I get a new gun that I can't shoot, I will just sit and hold it lovingly, maybe looking specifically at a certain part, polish it a bit, clean it when it dosen't need it, anything to have it in my hands? Am I the only one who does this with a new gun that I havn't shot yet, or are there other people that enjoy just holding and cleaning their guns

#2 ·
I do that to some degree. It's important to get familiar with a new carry weapon. Holding it to get used to the feel, weight, sight picture, etc. is a part of that process. The first thing I do is read the manual. The second thing I do is disassemble, clean, and reassembe...it is an important part of learning a new weapon. Understanding the weapon, features, and inspecting it for anything that doesn't look right or feel right is important as well. Snap caps and dry-firing it is also a good part of getting familiar with trigger pull and keeping it on POA. As long as you're taking the proper precautions (triple checking that it is unloaded, muzzle control, etc.) I think that is all part of getting familiar with a new weapon. I personally try to be as familiar as possible with a new weapon before I fire it the first time anyway. I think it's a prudent thing to do as long as you do it safely.

#8 ·
Defense tool familiarization. As Massad Ayoob points out, using a firearm is not an instinctual act; therefore we must train and learn to properly manipulate one. Knowing how every last part of your firearm operates, how your holster operates, proper draw, proper room clearing technique, proper flashlight techniques (can you clear your house without illuminating yourself on the walls) trigger discipline, barrel discipline, room clearing (to get to your kids and then out of the house or to a safe room); you can do weak one hand draw reload and malfunction drills with snap caps, you can use 5.11 training barrels (http://www.lapolicegear.com/511-tactical-training-barrel.html) to safely accomplish many other technique practice and training; live fire solidifies everything but building muscle memory and keeping up on those other perishable skills can make your range time more efficient and the rounds you pay to practice with, more valuable. Even just getting a smooth consistent trigger pull and habit of naturally dropping into a good stance are going to make learning and refining other techniques go quicker.

#3 ·
Before I got to shoot my XD I handled it every night before I went to bed. Like Bugdude said, read the manual, practiced taking it apart and reassembling, anything really, I just had to get a good feel for it.

#5 ·
I seriously doubt you are the only one. We guns lovers are a passionate group and I can only imagine the stories are very similar. Weeks to months researching and going to gun store to just hold a new hopeful purchase followed by the event. The purchase! Then it goes home and we take it apart, put it together, practice with trigger pull and run it through drills. It is the only way to keep the thrill of the purchase alive until the range day.

I spend hours with my safe open looking and touching the fine pieces of craftsmanship I have carefully chosen. It is all good stuff! As for my wife, she gets it. She does the same with her hobbies. :image035:

#6 ·
It's OK.... you are normal !

I also clean mine thoroughly, so I"m sure I know how to break it down, etc. as well. It gives me more handling time with it as well.

#29 ·
Thats it in a nutshell. I don't know which leads to which, cleaning gets you familiar with it, getting familiar with it means you have to clean it afterwards, ogling leads to both...whatever. If you love guns, you're gonna do it

#17 ·
Aye.....same here. Been a while since I fondled a new one, but I keep myself occupied. Get those sudden urges, or a visual or keyword sets me off and the safe gets opened. Dogs went nuts over something outside last night in the fog.........don't know why exactly but the AR15 came out for the first time in a couple of months....maybe because it's got the light, laser, and red dot and a staggered magazine of FMJ and HP. After clearing the area, coming back inside, I had to spend the next 30 minutes or so going over it. Now....come to think about it...may be time to swap out the loaded 20 round mag for a fresh one. Maybe I'll fondle it some more as well. No gloves here.

#10 ·
Yes and no. Yes to the extent of weapon familiarization. Fully agreed on the above regarding manual, disassembly, cleaning and practice. No, to the extent of handling a weapon without a deliberate purpose. Because in my case, I've got weapons all over the place - guns, knives, swords, sticks, staves, and a good number of specialized martial arts weapons. Training with all of these keeps me busy. Every day I practice with at least one weapon, giving it a workout and performing any needed maintenance.

It's very important that every weapon you own be a natural extension of your body and mind. Sitting around just handling them? No. If you have leisure time, you should be training.

#12 ·
since weapons are all over you must not have a family. hence you have more free time.
If I had children running about, I'd have even more to protect and a much higher incentive to train longer and harder. As it is, my regimen involves between 1 to 2 hours a day in physical and weapons training, and 3 hours a week in class. If I could, I'd do more. But just sitting around fondling firearms? You gotta be kidding.

One of these days, we'll have to have a thread here discussing the modern-day warrior lifestyle. It isn't about stuff, it's about mental and physical preparation for the unknown and unexpected. Since you will rarely, if ever, have advance warning of a serious threat, all you can do is prepare for anything and everything.

Some people think that "preparation" is buying ammo, or lubricating the firearms, or installing an alarm system, or hardening the doors and windows. Yes, to an extent those things do constitute preparation, but they can all be done with a wallet and some DIY, in between runs to the pizza store and watching stuff on TV. Total preparation means, in my book, hardening the mind and the physical machine that is you to be the best that you can be - regardless of age or limitations. This ought to be the minimum objective, and it's not difficult at all.

#15 ·
Uh, do you wear protection...... Soft lint free white cloves that is? I was taught (over 50 years ago) to NEVER handle a gun without the cotton gloves - period. If a bad guy were coming, it would be: 1) gloves on - check; 2) gun loaded - check; 3) backdrop clear - check; 4) correct shooting position - check; 5) aim correctly - check; 6) breath then hold half - check; 7) slowly squeeze trigger - bang!

Things have changed a bit since then, but when I inherited my father's Colt Commander, it was in a gun pouch along with a manual and ... gloves. Only need steps 1 & 2 to fondle.

#18 ·
I guess it depends on how you view it. I prefer to think of it as familiarization training and testing potential application viability. As an example I can draw my carry gun upside down with my off hand and fire using my pinky on the trigger. I cannot do this with my practice gun as it does not have the modifications that my carry gun has. Something I consider valuable to know.

#20 ·
i have a set of cotten gloves that i wear when i am cleaning my guns, after each cleaning i wash the gloves, that way i can let the oil just soak into the finger of the glove and use my finger to lube the gun, obviously except for parts i cant get too, but it makes cleaning and lubing alot easier to wear cotten gloves

#22 ·
Absolutely!!! I am very particular with my choices and put a lot of consideration into a firearm purchase. I enjoy well made (does not have to be an ED Brown to qualify) and finished pistols and rifles. I find the mechanics and machining fascinating on everything from a well timed Colt revolver to the rotary bolt of an AR. I "do" sit into the wee hours with a new acquisition working the action, examining the lock up and checking out the finish.
Its sort of a mystic thing and the only example I can give is to quote Steve McQueen in the Sand Pebbles, "Hello engine...I'm Jake Holman..."

#26 ·
I still have a nickle-plated Colt Python in .357 that I bought about 15 years ago that I have never shot. That gun was introduced when I was just a kid and I knew I eventually had to have one - even if I wasn't going to use it. I do wipe it down occasionally.....

al

#27 ·
Am, I the only one who when I get a new gun that I can't shoot, I will just sit and hold it lovingly, maybe looking specifically at a certain part, polish it a bit, clean it when it dosen't need it, anything to have it in my hands?
No.
I give special treatment to all new family additions.
You want them to know you're on their side, don't you?

I think there is a karma with mechanical things. I learned that if I ignored my boat, it would have trouble. They know.

#31 ·
You know some say that will cause blindness!

#32 ·
It's good to familiarize yourself with a new gun. I will disassemble/reassemble a new gun until I'm totally familiar with it. Most brand new guns need an initial cleaning both before and after their initial shooting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.