Finally time for a 380 BUG

This is a discussion on Finally time for a 380 BUG within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have about 500 bucks of toy money from a friend who is going to room with me for a couple of months.. that means ...

View Poll Results: Which pistol?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • SW Bodyguard 380

1 6.67%
  • SIG P238

14 93.33%

I have about 500 bucks of toy money from a friend who is going to room with me for a couple of months.. that means this saturday I'm going to buy a new toy for myself

I've been doing some HEAVY research on the SW Bodyguard 380.... what a sweet little pistol! I was also looking at the taurus PT709... I want a good little pistol that I can throw in my shorts pocket pretty much... when I saw the PT709, I was shocked by it's size, that's no pocket gun! that's sub compact pistol! that idea quickly went out the window... for the size of pistol I want, it has to be a 380...

So I wanted to ask some opinions of my friends here about the P238 and the SW BG 380...

the BG380 was real sweet, but that looonngggg trigger was very unfriendly to me, will def take some time getting used to. it was long, but it felt VERY smooth and steady resistance. Also my duty pistol is a SW MP9, and both felt very similar...

I haven't played with the P238, but it costs about 150-200 more, and I'm not too familiar with 1911 style pistols.

I like that both has full night sights, and the laser is an added bonus I guess, I've never used them, so it'll be interesting

i'll also use it as a BUG with an ankle holster too.

I just wanted to know who has these pistols here and what you guys think about them. I'm going to start a poll and see what you guys would prefer also....

FYI the prices are:

SW BG 380 - 419 with LEO/MIL disc
    SIG P238 - 619

oh, and LASTLY, anyone reccomend a pocket AND ankle holster for these pistols?

Thanks guys!

ETA - wow!!! that's a steal!!!
    http://www.ombexpress.com/c_0/p_SW234.aspx

just hopefully they accept Military as first responder... We technically are :D (also it says private security, would brinks armored truck count?)

VIP Member
    I have had no experience with the S&W but I do have the Sig P238, great little pistol no problems after 300+ rounds. Shop around a little and you may find a better price, picked mine up at a gun show for $500 including tax. My EDC is a 1911 but when I carry the Sig I use a Don Hume IWB.

http://www.gunnersalley.com/product/...-H715M-WC.html
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

The brand of pocket rocket you choose is up to you, but the perfect pocket holster is this... http://www.fist-inc.com/holsters/holster/5.htm ...its thumb push is the secret.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I haven't seen, or handled the S&W, but a google search listed a host of problems. I've even heard one complaint about an FTE with the Sig, as much as I like Sig. I carry a P3AT, which has about 500 rounds through it with zero failures. It costs less, may not last forever like a Sig, but has a lifetime warranty. You can also get a 9 round extended mag for weak side pocket carry that is sweet.

Gotta tell you, though, the extra weight of the Sig may make it better to shoot. I was just looking for the smallest and lightest when I bought the Kel-tec. Plus, can't beat the price. The Kel-tec has a long trigger pull, DA. The trick with DA, that I've found, is to partially depress the trigger, re-aquire the target, then squeeze the trigger the rest of the way. I've hit more than one center on the ten spot at 15 yds with a full sized Sig P250.

The fist holster posted above looks interesting. My wallet holster cost $10 - $15, but I've looked at the Nemisis, and now the fist is on my wish list. (I wish I had the $$)

Good luck with your purchase, whichever way you go, and we'll see you at the range.

Simple answer from me.... Get the Sig. I've had mine for some time now and it's several hundred trouble free rounds down range and one of the best shooting .380's I have found.

I load mine with the +p BuffaloBore 100gr stuff and feel well defended with minimal discomfort. In the pocket or on the ankle, all day everyday.

Good luck with your choice.
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Just curious as to why you have not considered the Magnum Research Micro Desert Eagle?
    I have had no trouble with mine, and it rides in an ankle holster extremely well.
    I can consistantly put 7 rounds in a three inch circle at 21 feet...not bad for a 2.2" bbl
    About $500 in most places.
    Last edited by Zsnake; September 30th, 2010 at 11:57 AM. Reason: "Color" marks did not work!

I have no experience with the Sig or S&W but I would vote for an LCP, and spend the rest on ammo.

Found a p238 for 465, which is great, but found a personal problem... its not left hand friendly! An ambi safety is like a 200 mod that you have to send the pistol in for!! It'll be very hard to manipulate the safety for me since I'm a lefty, which is a major problem. And its a sao so I can't really walk around with no safety either...

I was excited I found a new one for such a good deal

Cool

The Diamondback .380 is worth taking a look at if you are wanting a true "pocket" pistol. User friendly for left or right handers, light weight , minimal felt recoil and ease of takedown. Mine is ultra reliable.

http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback380.htm
    "Violence is seldom the answer, but when it is the answer it is the only answer".

"A nation of sheep breeds a government of wolves".

http://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    Check out also a Sig P232 and a Ruger LCP. Also, how about a snub nose revolver in .38+P or .357 magnum? You cannot beat a snubby for BUG or pocket gun!!!
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

I need something very small. This is something that I'll be putting in my trunks that is pretty much swimming shorts. a snubby would just weigh more and be bulkier. it needs to be very thin.

I looked at the Micro Eagle and hat DB380. I honestly would prefer to get something that is more popularly known/used/owned... Which is why i've also considered the P3AT and the LCP, but I'm willing to pay 100 extra dollars so i can have sights on the pistol. I know this is a very close, safety last ditch pistol, but you never know how you might need to use it, and might end up taking a + 10 yard shot with it, and need to aim rather than point. if you don't kill the guy, at least you hit him and you can rethink your tactic from there.

I'm gonna look at the sig tomrrow, but like I said earlier, I just don't see how I can master that righty safety as a lefty... and it's a SAO, so I wouldn't want it in my pocket with the safety off (or uncocked)...

Old School wrote:
    The Diamondback .380 is worth taking a look at if you are wanting a true "pocket" pistol. User friendly for left or right handers, light weight , minimal felt recoil and ease of takedown. Mine is ultra reliable.

http://www.gunblast.com/Diamondback380.htm
    I gotta go with "Old School." DB380 is tops for me. I carry almost daily in a RKBA custom pocket holster. Check out Diamondbacks nickle version and EXO coated version.

http://diamondbackfirearms.com/

I played around with the DB, I didn't like it too much, Well I didn't like it compared to the Kahr P380 that I fell in love with, if I had to decide between that and the BG 380/LCP I might have gone with the DB

Distinguished Member Array alachner's Avatar
    The best and smallest backup guns are the Ruger LCP, Kel Tec P-3AT and a Snub Nose Revolver. I personally carry a Smith & Wesson 442 lightweight revolver inside the waistband or in an ankle rig and I have absolutely no discomfort. I think that the Sig Sauer P238 is too big and the safety is a buzz killer. As far as pocket holsters, check out the Desantis Nemesis Pocket Holster and for an ankle holster check out Fobus, Desantis and Blackhawk.
    "If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. That's ridiculous... If I have a gun, what in the hell do I have to be paranoid for?" [Clint Smith - Thunder Ranch]

Links