Ultradot and Ultradot 'Matchdot'

This is a discussion on Ultradot and Ultradot 'Matchdot' within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I'm building up an NRA Bullseye gallery gun toward a league I've been invited to participate in. Last item to secure is a proper and ...

Thread: Ultradot and Ultradot 'Matchdot'

Question Ultradot and Ultradot 'Matchdot'

I'm building up an NRA Bullseye gallery gun toward a league I've been invited to participate in.

Last item to secure is a proper and _good_ quality durable red dot sight.
    The Ultradot per the internets seems to be the wide favorite.

I have three options to decide against...

Ultradot '25' w/ 1" objective
    Ultradot '30/Four' w/ 30mm objective
    Ultradot 'MatchDot' [Top of the range] w/30mm objective.

This sight will do dual use on both a bullseye handgun and very possibly in the near future a .22LR carbine.

Do any of you have experience running a 1" versus 30mm scope on a pistol or long gun?
    I understand that finding good 30mm rings is difficult but this may not be an item of concern as the units ship with rings. What say you?

As well any general opinions on either sight type for the purpose of 50 foot bullseye?

http://www.ultradotusa.com
    http://www.ultradotwest.com

Thanks,

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

2. Remove Ads

I have the Matchdot, and I move it between the Silhouette, pictured, and a few other guns. It's been an excellent sight. The click adjustments are crisp, and quick to sight in on any of the guns I mount it on. The only objection I have are the vertical rings that come with it. I ended up buying another set of conventional 30mm rings, and I'm much happier with them. The dot of any diameter is crisp, round, and consistent. The brightness is user adjustable, so you can set it as you like it. Battery life is excellent.

3buckmarksud.jpg
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

Who did you wind up selecting for rings?
    Those look to be very low which is optimal.

Thank you for the feedback and support!

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Those are Burris Signature medium rings.....

http://swfa.com/Burris-Signature-30mm-Rings-P1313.aspx
    NRA Life Member ... Marine Corps League Life Member
    Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
    USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys....

I went with the MatchDots also for a pair of Browning Buckmarks and GSG-5SD rifles. The rings from UltraDot work very nicely and all bolted up quickly. You can adjust both the intensity and the size of the red dot to suit your preferences. Not the cheapest sights but very good quality. No complaints here.

Update:

I tried to call the mfr. directly but got sent to a general VM system twice today.
    So instead I called a dealer...Who it turns out is the actual original patent holder that also acts as the US sales arm for the product. As told to me in great detail by the customer service person.

http://www.ultradotwest.com/ultradot_2008_005.htm

Items covered in discussion:
    * Ultradot West is a small family owned business .
    I did not ask this but it came up early in the conversation...An item that is very close to my own heart myself being owner & operator of a small business and enthusiastic supporter of same.

* The folks at UltrdotWest invented and patented the original/first red dot system, before the patent ran out and now the whole world makes red dots.

* The unit has a lifetime warranty for workmanship against manufacturing defects and failure of internal parts.
    Ultradot West does servicing on site. They also hand test every unit prior to being shipped in the box for quality and function. The person I talked to actually does this herself as a secondary job task.

External parts such as worn or lost caps or as she was very specific to note multiple times, dropping of the sight to result in breakage or dented tubes is _NOT_ warranted.
    She stated to me that she wants to be clear on this because she has people calling to complain that they dropped the unit and put a dent in the tube expecting some sort of repair or new unit gratis. Ridiculous.

* The unit is not mfr. rated to any specific caliber or type gun.
    It is though by design intended to withstand high g forces and is built with "a minimum of moving parts".
    I asked about slide mounting to a .45 ACP...She said this is common for their product and is not at all a problem.
    I then asked about recoil as being mounted to a rifle, say as chambered in .223. Again response being not a problem and a typical end user application.
    She strongly suggested though that for high recoil firearms that I invest in quality rings. The rings as provided with the unit are an after thought with a $10 street value. They will pass for use on a .22 to hold zero as per recoil forces...But else wise well use your noodle as you get what you pay for. I responded that this should be a known among anyone with half a wit. To that she replied; "You would be surprised at what people don't know." Touche'.

* The units, both Ultradot4 and Matchdot, WILL HOLD ZERO as the dot sizes are increased/decreased in size.
    I told her that is very unusual for the market. She agreed. I repeated the question only re-wording it to be sure that she was hearing me correctly. Again she replied yes; "It will hold zero as the dot size is changed".
    She went on to say that the device was specifically designed to support just this feature. She does not know the exact manner in whihc it is supported mechanically...But it as fact will support zero hold per dot change.
    To my understanding of the red dot market no other product will do this nor claims to do so.
    I stated to this to her and she replied that is her understanding as well, and is a common question as well as response.

* The Matchdot is a revised variant of the Ultradot 4
    Major differences being that the MD is only available as a black and silver coloration while the UD4 is available as either black or silver.
    The UD4 is available in either 25mm or 30mm tube diameter.
    The UD4 has a maximal 16 moa dot. That dot is preferred by "plate shooters" (action shooters for purpose of speed). It is completely useless to pretty much any other type shooter at distance or up close.
    The MD is a UD4 30mm, with revised dot size options optimized for shooting with primary focus on accuracy at objects near and far.

* 25mm (1") tube vs. 30"
    She strongly suggested the 30mm tube.
    Reason being that for bullseye shooting at distance be it conventional/international rules at 50 yard and 100 yard distant, having the larger tube allows for _quicker_ ability to pickup the target and to locate your center. The smaller tube is just 5mm smaller which looking at the tube is not very noticeable as it is to look through the tube. Also she noted that action shooters much prefer the 30mm tube option. This makes sense.
    She went on to say that the only time she suggests the 1" is when a caller states they had used their buddys 1" tube and that they want to have same as per becoming accustomed to same. Or if they are used to shooting rifle through a scope with a 1" tube and prefer that, then well of course the 1" tube remains an option across the line.
    In my case I have no such prior preference. And I stated that I find looking through a tube as with other shooters red dots (Tasco) to be somewhat difficult, so that that she again strongly suggested for me the 30mm option.

* Mounting rings quality.
    <See commentary toward caliber>

* Free shipping!
    USPS priority two day...And she promised to ship my specific unit out within the hour as a favor for me so that I could have it very quickly. Very nice.

* Instructor discount
    I asked if they support discounting for instructors, and shared with her my various credentials....Which I also offered to backup and prove by forwarding copies of my IDs by fax or e-mail (PDF).
    She on the spot gave me a 5% discount on top of an already listed '20% off sale price'. This came to just shy of $10 on my order.

* Customer service
    I found the woman who answered the phone to be exceptionally friendly and courteous, as well as both product knowledgeable AND industry aware.
    Sadly this to my experience among the firearms industry has been rare.
    This call and notably an experience I'd recently had with Hogue customer service (Roni & Monica) stand out to my mind as being exemplary!

At the time I picked up my phone and dialed their number I had no intent to submit an order today. I was only thinking of this as a fact finding effort.
    I was though so impressed with the customer service persons report and manner that I on the fly made a snap decision to buy. I never (!) do this.
    I'd waffled for four months on a set of Magrips from Hogue before pulling the trigger. Here I had not heard of this product past 48 hrs. ago and I talk to this person and was that impressed.

When the unit arrives I'll update with a pre-shoot analysis and post-shoot review.

- Janq

Expect to both receive your order quickly and be very satisfied with the product. For the record, UltraDot West sold me my red dots. I got them the morning after my order. OK, it was within CA but still great service.

Great info Janq!!!! You've done the homework for all of us. Thanks for sharing.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Update:

I was out most of the day today including mid day shooting the bullseye event...Shot a 204 cold running iron sights with no sight in against the CCI ammo they issue...And I get home just seconds ago to find a box by my door with the sight within!

I am impressed, again.
    More info to come...

- Janq

Links