Bought the Rossi Youth Combo - 22LR & 20GA

This is a discussion on Bought the Rossi Youth Combo - 22LR & 20GA within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I picked up the Rossi youth combo for the kids last night. 22 LR & 20 Ga. 2 of the kids are finishing up their ...

Thread: Bought the Rossi Youth Combo - 22LR & 20GA

Bought the Rossi Youth Combo - 22LR & 20GA

I picked up the Rossi youth combo for the kids last night. 22 LR & 20 Ga. 2 of the kids are finishing up their hunters safety course and have their field day soon. They need a rifle to carry and the instructors recommended a 22. I don’t have a 22, so it was time to get one. I cleaned all the packing grease off it last night, and have to say, the kids and myself are excited to test it out this weekend.
    I was looking for a bolt action 22, and didn’t like the selection at Dicks Sporting Goods, then we saw the Rossi. One of my daughters loved the break open action, so we took it home. Guess we’ll be throwing some clay pigeons as well as shooting my steel targets.
    Seems simple and stout, perfect for a beginner gun.
    Anyone have experience with this gun?
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

2. Remove Ads

Is it the one with a synthetic stock?

My nephew has the .22lr/.410 combo. He doesn't like to shoot the .410 because the gun is so light.
    Trust in God and keep your powder dry

"A heavily armed citizenry is not about overthrowing the government; it is about preventing the government from overthrowing liberty. A people stripped of their right of self defense is defenseless against their own government." -source

yes - synthetic stock.
    I got the 20ga instead of 410 because of the price price difference of ammo. I hope the kids don't get beat up w/ the 20 ga. We'll find out this weekend.
    The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it. Albert Einstein

"People in Arizona carry guns," said a Chandler police spokesman. "You better be careful about who you are picking on."

Senior Moderator
    I got the .410/.22lr for my boys
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

I have the .22lr/20ga/.243 , fun gun to shoot

Let us know what you think. I have a chipmunk, But I am thinking about getting this one in pink for the girls.
    I prefer to live dangerously free than safely caged!

"Our houses are protected by the good Lord and a gun. And you might meet 'em both if you show up here not welcome son." Josh Thompson "Way Out Here"

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    we bought my grandson the Rossi .22/.410 combo six years ago, when he turned 10. After a few range trips, he decided he wanted a scope, so it grew beyond fitting the neat little carry bag....and his Dad (my son) lost the factory rear sight. Now he wants to replace the sight, and I've been trying for a year to get the parts from Rossi.....you can see the blank stare on the CS guy's face through the phone. Dont lose your parts!

That little Rossi is a nice gun. My grandson could eat up a 3 inch Shoot N' See at 25 yards, and could hit 4-5 out of 10 straight-away clays with the shotgun barrel.

surv

ETA I would kinda like to have the same thing in 223/20ga in the zippered bag strapped to the back of the back seat of my truck. They're so easy to stash away, it's a shame to not have one.

Took the Rossi Combo out this weekend with the 2 boys, 11 & 7 yo. Had to adjust the sight a little for elevation, then it was hitting pretty well. We shot mostly steel targets. My boys hit a 6” steel plate almost every shot at about 30 yards. They had a great time shooting it. The first real rifle shooting my 7 yo has done. After a couple rounds, he was able to load and shoot it just fine. It really ejects the spent 22 shell.
    We put the 20 ga barrel on and I took a shot. Wow – it really kicks. The 11 yo shot it a couple times and I could tell it kicked him good. The 7 yo wanted to shoot it, so I let him. He was immediately in tears after the shot.
    I’m starting to rethink the decision to not get the 410.
    Either way, they do enjoy the 22, and I think they’ll get a lot of use out of it.

Senior Member Array mr surveyor's Avatar
    you might take the stock buttplate off (so as to reduce the overall increase in l.o.p,) and slip on a small size limbsaver...that will cut down the "smack" by 25-30%. Lots of folks just don't realize how close the recoil is between 20 and 12 guage, as compared to the ratio of .410 (or 28 ga) and 20 or 12 ga. The limbsaver (if you can find the "small" model) will help a lot.

surv

I bought my son he is 11 yrs old the 22/20ga combo last year. The 22 shoots like a dream but the 20ga has more kick than any 12ga ive fired. I put on a butt pad on and that helps a little, after he seen me shoot
    the 20ga he said no way.

Links