Would you buy a pistol you knew didn't work right... but it had a lifetime warranty?

This is a discussion on Would you buy a pistol you knew didn't work right... but it had a lifetime warranty? within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; So I've got a Taurus, and as everybody knows, yet I still ignored, they don't work. My 605 .357 came from the factory in semi-useable ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Would you buy a pistol you knew didn't work right... but it had a lifetime warranty?

Would you buy a pistol you knew didn't work right... but it had a lifetime warranty?

So I've got a Taurus, and as everybody knows, yet I still ignored, they don't work.

My 605 .357 came from the factory in semi-useable condition, which isn't half bad for a Taurus I gather. You can sometimes shoot up to three rounds in a row without the cylinder locking up.

Basically I don't trust the gun, and its brand spankin new. No way I would trust it if I paid to ship it off to Taurus and waited for them to fix it either. So I am thinking about trying to sell it at the next gun show, and I wanted to see if you guys would buy a gun that you knew had problems, but also had a lifetime warranty.

I thought for a long time about just selling the gun and saying it worked fine, but I just can't bring myself to be as devious and underhanded as Taurus is. We're supposed to be better than the bad guys, right?

So it comes down to would someone purchase the gun, and what kind of price would you be willing to pay, knowing that in theory, Taurus might fix the problem for you?

2. Remove Ads

I wouldn't depend on any manufacturer for support once I'm the second owner. I'd much rather depend on the asking price and what I could do with it as a novice gunsmith. Project guns are nice. Project guns should never be looked at as carry pieces.

Cut your loss. Take it to a LGS and trade it in for what you can get out of it, and get something that works.
    NRA Member
    Glock 26 XD9sc
    Ruger SR9c Ruger LCP

mkh
    FYI - Taurus warranties their guns for the life of the weapon. So subsequent owners still have the warranty.

I did this....And won.

I bought my Sig GSR this way from a previous owner at SigForum who had been _very_ vocal and critical of the gun (this was his second replacing a first) and after posting very derogatory things about Sig customer service and their guns at the site he put this gun up for sale int he classifieds.
    Myself then being interested int he line and discounting the negative statements by roughly 50%, I went ahead and bought it because he was basically giving it away.

A long story short some 6 or 7 yrs. later, it is my absolute most favorite handgun I've ever owned AND Sig customer service to me has been nothing but old school Cadillac stellar in every way.
    That was my second Sig purchase and I'm ow looking at making a fourth.

I did six months out have a problem with that gun, but Sig honored the warranty as if I had been the original owner.
    I'd even told them that I bought the gun second hand (they already knew this per the warr. return data on the gun) and they gave me zero issues. Replaced the top end and off to the races I've been.
    Zero complaints.

Roll of the dice, and some times you may come up snake eyes...But not always. ; )

- Janq has been very gun fortunate with mfrs., as counter to common internet complaint
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    I bought a Sig p220 that doesnt work right and im mad as hell about it. Although, the problem occurs when you put rounds in it, not too many gun stores will let you just start throwing rounds into a magazine to make sure it functions.
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

Locked out on a balcony of the Dark Tower...
    Does Sig have a lifetime warranty if its not NEW or not CPO?
    All Day I Dream About Sigs

VIP Member
    NEVER!!!!!! I won't own anything that isn't reliable.

I would, but not a Taurus...I've been that route before.OMO
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array 21bubba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Broken View Post
    Does Sig have a lifetime warranty if its not NEW or not CPO?
    Why don't you call Sig? You have been troubled about this gun for a month. It could have gone to Sig and been back by now.

Broken,

The solution to that dilemma is simple...Invest in snap caps, which is an excellent item to have per chambering of gun you own anyway.
    And yes to my own personal experience they will and do honor the lifetime warranty even as the gun was not bought CPO and is second hand.
    Further the previous owner of my gun had even turned in the warranty card under his own name prior to selling to me. I called cust support, gave them my new info to supersede his and that was that end of story.

I am not in any way aligned with Sig and never have been.
    I knew nobody there. I just picked up the phone and dialed their cust. service number as shown in the OM.
    If I were you with your gun I would skip going to see a gunsmith and all...Just call Sig, ask for an RMA number and return shipping bill, and send it back to them to make it right whihc they will.
    I've never understood why people pay third partys to fix guns, only to be made worst, when they can simply send it in to the mfr. and wait a week or three for it to be returned. Easy. I've done this with Sig, Springfield Armory and Colt.

In life I've only ever bought two guns NIB; My Sig carbine and my Mossy shotgun.
    Every other gun I've ever owned was bought second hand at super discount rates.

- Janq
    "Killers who are not deterred by laws against murder are not going to be deterred by laws against guns. " - Robert A. Levy

"A license to carry a concealed weapon does not make you a free-lance policeman." - Florida Div. of Licensing

The ironic part is, no one hears about problems with the 605, it's about the most reliable gun they make. So, it does make me wonder what the issue is and if it's easily fixed. I'ld ask a gunsmith to take a quick look at it and see if they can tell why it's doing what it's doing. Utlimately I would probably send it to Taurus, get it fixed, make sure it's fixed and if I still didn't want it .... sell it in good conscious that it's working properly.
    I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts. --- Will Rogers ---
    Chief Justice John Roberts : "I don't see how you can read Heller and not take away from it the notion that the Second Amendment...was extremely important to the framers in their view of what liberty meant."

Administrator
    Quick answer; Not a chance in Hades.
    "Just blame Sixto"

in 3 years at a gun shop, i saw more factory bad junk guns that we had to send back from S&W then Taurus or even rossi

Distinguished Member Array bladenbullet's Avatar
    intersting dilema...you own a gun with a lifetime warranty and just becasue you dont want to take the time to send it back and get it fixed youre willing to take a beating on it and sell it to somebody else...

also...taurus customer service has improved quite a bit from some of the recent reports ive read so i dont see where giving them a shot at fixing it is any skin off your butt...or would you rather rely on the bad reports youve heard?...if everyone did that kimber would have stopped selling guns a long time ago...it seems if maneur is spread long enough something grows...unfortunately it isnt a useful crop of anything....

you bought the gun for a reason...must have been some draw to it...maybe...just maybe...if it was fixed and you found you enjoyed shooting it you might change your mind...unless youre afraid to go againdt the experts who tell you taurus guns are no good...when there are plenty of happy owners out there....

if the tone of this post seems less than polite reread the op and gauge it from that...should bring it into perspective...and no...i am not currently a taurus owner bbut have owned a few and they performed flalessly through several thousand rounds of use...along with several people i know with similar experience....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links