scope stop ideas

scope stop ideas

This is a discussion on scope stop ideas within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I have a Marlin 70pss that I love but the scope slides backwards when shooting it, no matter how tight I make the mounts. There ...

Thread: scope stop ideas

scope stop ideas

I have a Marlin 70pss that I love but the scope slides backwards when shooting it, no matter how tight I make the mounts. There just isn't much of a rail for them to get a good grip on. I use it for small game and I hate having to fix and re-sight the scope constantly. I looked up scope stops and I could only find them for air rifles and I'm not sure if they would work. Any ideas for a home-made scope stop or something else I can do to keep it from moving?

Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

I would try some pieces of latex or other thin rubber between the scope and the mounts.

It's the not the scope moving in the rings it's the mounts on the rail that slide backward taking the scope with it.
    Vermont does not issue Permit/Licenses to Carry a Concealed firearm. Vermont allows anyone
    who can legally own a firearm to carry it concealed without a permit of any kind.

OK. Its a .22lr, correct. I would look at the contact of the ring claws on the dovetail. I would suspect that the slippage is due to minimal contact area, just the tip of the claw. I would sand the leading edge area of the claw to enable greater contact area.

Dovetails on some of the air rifles...and some of the 22lr models are difficult to deal with in the way of scope mounting and a solid mount. A lot of the rails are not to spec. having been down that road myself, I'll just give a few tips on selecting rings and how to best use them for your dovetail receiver. First off...try to select some rings that are specifically for dovetail receivers. Secondly........if your ring mounts do seem to work loose after firing the rifle.......switch the front mount to the other side for tightening to the dovetail. I went through this ordeal with my Marlin Glenfield 65c. Oppose the rings and their bite on the dovetail. If that doesn't work, then file the dovetail on top of the receiver to accommodate your rings. Forget about "scope stops"? Never heard of those. You should never need anything like that.

how 'bout loc-tite on the mount screws? yeah, I know you shouldn't need it, but ...

Drop of epoxy behind one side of the mounts.

Thanks for the advice I'll try filing and opposing the mounts. The screws are not coming loose so I don't think loctite will work the claws are what are sliding.

Administrator
    You could simply degrease all metal parts & Epoxy the mounts to the rifle dovetail. Make a neat job of it.

If you want to get them back off again at some future point in time then take off the scope & use an electric heat gun to warm the mounts slightly above 400 degrees F and the Epoxy bond will lose its bond strength. Pop them off while they are hot.

In line with RamRod's comments, look up Weaver tip-off mounts... they're high quality and designed for the integral dovetail.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Epoxy sounds like a good idea. I think I will give that a go. thanks!

Links