Looking at .17 HMR

Looking at .17 HMR

This is a discussion on Looking at .17 HMR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been considering getting a .17 HMR rifle of some sort. I do not want a bolt action of any sort, (this seems to cull ...

Thread: Looking at .17 HMR

Looking at .17 HMR

I've been considering getting a .17 HMR rifle of some sort. I do not want a bolt action of any sort, (this seems to cull most of my choices). I would actually prefer a pump but if anyone makes/made one I haven't found it. I'm OK with using a lever action, and I'm leaning toward one of the Henry variations, but I'd like to get some input from you all if you've owned a nonbolt .17. An auto would be OK as well, but seems like they are out of production. Since it's bound to come up the reason I do not want a bolt is I shoot left handed, but I am right handed, forced into shooting lefty by some vision issues. Thus a bolt is awkward to say the least in either left or right handed configuration.

There are a number of Ruger 10/22 conversions available on the market, but I wouldn't sell one to a lefty because you'll have hot brass and gas sailing past your nose. I doubt anyone would bring a pump gun to market because they all have tubular mags, and the bullets are pointed (even though it's a polymer).

Looks like you're stuck with a lever gun, but take a close look at the CZ bolt guns - they may just offer them in LH versions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Rossi/Taurus made a nifty pump in .17HMR. Don't know if it is still in production or not.

Sponsored Links