Looking at .17 HMR

Looking at .17 HMR

This is a discussion on Looking at .17 HMR within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I've been considering getting a .17 HMR rifle of some sort. I do not want a bolt action of any sort, (this seems to cull ...

Looking at .17 HMR

I've been considering getting a .17 HMR rifle of some sort. I do not want a bolt action of any sort, (this seems to cull most of my choices). I would actually prefer a pump but if anyone makes/made one I haven't found it. I'm OK with using a lever action, and I'm leaning toward one of the Henry variations, but I'd like to get some input from you all if you've owned a nonbolt .17. An auto would be OK as well, but seems like they are out of production. Since it's bound to come up the reason I do not want a bolt is I shoot left handed, but I am right handed, forced into shooting lefty by some vision issues. Thus a bolt is awkward to say the least in either left or right handed configuration.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back."
    Captain Malcom Reynolds "Firefly"

There are a number of Ruger 10/22 conversions available on the market, but I wouldn't sell one to a lefty because you'll have hot brass and gas sailing past your nose. I doubt anyone would bring a pump gun to market because they all have tubular mags, and the bullets are pointed (even though it's a polymer).

Looks like you're stuck with a lever gun, but take a close look at the CZ bolt guns - they may just offer them in LH versions.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Rossi/Taurus made a nifty pump in .17HMR. Don't know if it is still in production or not.

Links