Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

This is a discussion on Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; "Are you a law enforcement officer?" "No, but..." "Well then, sir, since you're not, I don't have to show you anything. If you'd like, and ...

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

VIP Member
    "Are you a law enforcement officer?"

"No, but..."

"Well then, sir, since you're not, I don't have to show you anything. If you'd like, and if you continue your aggressive behavior towards me, I can call a law enforcement officer and he can clarify it to you."
    "Americans have the will to resist because you have weapons. If you don't have a gun, freedom of speech has no power." - Yoshimi Ishikawa

2. Remove Ads

Senior Member Array GoodSamaritan's Avatar
    How would I have handled it?
    I would like to think it would go something like this...

Barney Fife Wannabe: Are you a Law enforcement officer?

Me: Huh?

Barney Fife Wannabe: (louder)Are you a Law enforcement officer?

Me: Why are you fixin to rob the place?

Barney Fife Wannabe:No I think I can see the outline of a gun under your clothes.

Me: (just loud enough for his buddies to hear) Oh! (chuckling) What? My colostomy bag?

Barney Fife Wannabe: Can I see your permit?

Me: Permit for what?

Barney Fife Wannabe:The permit for your GUN!

Me:(loudly, but still polite) Sir, I don't know what you want me to say, but it is embarassing enough to have to have all my poop empty into a plastic baggie on my hip, without you making it public knowledge. Now if you will permit me, I would like to finish my coffee with what little dignity I have left!

In short, depending on what sort of vibes I got from him, I'd play dumb, confused, offended until he either went away, got tossed out, or upped the ante.

Some people are Legends in there own Minds, And Morons to the rest of us, Can;t even get a cup of coffee, without someone going
    bonkers.
    quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

There's always the respose from Private Eye FORD FAIRLANE (played by Andrew Dice Clay): You are about five seconds from the most EMBARASSING moment of your life.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Quote Originally Posted by ibex
    Exactly the same, except I wouldn't have carried a 1911.
    Amen. No offense to anybody here...but it's not for me, either.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

A few thoughts.

• The original poster handled the situation perfectly. No insults, no hyperbole, just simple common sense.
    • RE the title of this thread, if a uniformed police officer asked you to see your license to carry the title of this thread would still be correct. LEOs are "civilians" too (sorry ... its a pet peeve of mine).
    • If this "civilian" was an employee of or manager of the coffee shop I believe he would have been within his rights to ask to see the original poster's permit.
    • I don't know if this is "urban myth" among CCWers but I believe that in some states, publicly acknowledging to another "civilian" that you are carrying can bring a brandishing charge, so you're legally obligated to lie to people like this Barney Fife wannabe

I must admit that I'm one of those people that when I end up in such a situation I sit there and stammer but an hour later I come up with the perfect comeback, so I would likely have told this guy to "piss off and leave me alone or I'll call the cops myself!" instead of come up with something calm and pithy to say.

The response I'd have come up with after he left would be to say "ok" after he threatened to call the police, draw my cell phone, flip it open, dial 911 and hand it to him and say "hit send when you're ready".

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I have not untill now replied to this because any reply i made would not further the ccw cause or the discussion .

* you're legally obligated to lie to people like this Barney Fife wannabe
    NOPE that would not stand legaly anywhere sorry . That being said Why would you " admit " anything . Its a non issue If someone thinks they see something either basicly ignore them ( dare them to call LE ) or ... from the original post
    A rather large guy who I think was setting with several other guys at a near by table, (short hair, high and tight, - Marine Corp kinda guy, ex Marine myself)
    advised the fella " darlin before you tounge kiss me you have to talk to my wife " . again as i said prob not constructive in any manner lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

DC Founder
    After saying "No" to the question (from me) about him being a LEO I would have probably just told him to come back and ask me that question once he had become one...
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night...

I tend not to volunteer information to strangers. Had I been asked if I was LE, I doubt I would have responded yes or no. I would probably have just asked if he was LE. If he said no, the conversation would have been over. If he had pressed the issue, I might have considered reporting his strange behavior to the police. I would not have admitted carrying to someone without a need to know.
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

Senior Member Array AirForceShooter's Avatar
    ohhh
    You're a Marine?
    Hold the Door for me.

AFS
    Gun control is hitting what you aim at

Lead Moderator
    I would offer to call for him , asking which dept he wanted to talk with, city, County or State PD. (since I have the #'s memorized). Probably would know most of the officers too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by Tom357
    No, but I did stay at a Holiday Inn Express, last night...

I tend not to volunteer information to strangers. Had I been asked if I was LE, I doubt I would have responded yes or no. I would probably have just asked if he was LE. If he said no, the conversation would have been over. If he had pressed the issue, I might have considered reporting his strange behavior to the police. I would not have admitted carrying to someone without a need to know.
    My feelings exactly.
    Funny thing - I read this thread last night and was pondering it while out and about today.
    Playing it out in my mind - I believe that I would never have entertained this guy beyond the first question.

DMR
    I think that the situation was handled well.

When the guy said he was not a law enforcement officer, the response should have been, "Then are you just impersonating a law enforcement officer?"

I would then calmly reach for my cell phone and tell the guy I was going to call 911 and report him if he didn't leave me alone.

I dont know if I could have been that polite. The words "step off" seem to just come out before I can think to stop them.
    We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
    George Orwell

That guy had some real nerve. I would consider any unknown non-LE person that approached and started talking about guns to be a real threat. I might have called the cops myself and of course I will never produce my permit for joe schmoe.
    In TX, printing is not a crime. The only thing that can get a CCW (CHL in TX)permit holder into trouble is "intentional failure to conceal" which pretty much means open carry.

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links