Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit! - Page 4

Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

This is a discussion on Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; If it had been a LEO, the property owner/ manager or someone like that I would have shown them. Some random person? Non of his ...

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

Senior Member Array tanksoldier's Avatar
    If it had been a LEO, the property owner/ manager or someone like that I would have shown them.

Some random person? Non of his bizniz.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I am told, and I win where I fight." GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

Hmmm. I am thinking a possible Taser deployment situation. Possibly even a little OC spray.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter
    What would you have done ?
    I said, sir, with all due respect - you are not authorized to request that information.
    Exactly the same thing. My CHL has my home address imprinted on the damned thing, so nobody is going to get a peek, civvie concerns or not. Nobody has the right to request, other than legitimate law enforcement.

The silly thing is, this sort of tactic is, at some point, going to land the guy in a situation he won't like, by a perp that's flustered and who lashes out. AAA helps with flat tires and stranded motorists. LEO's help with questions by concerned citizens. This guy has a minor learning disability. Hopefully he wises up.
    Last edited by ccw9mm; August 10th, 2006 at 11:42 PM.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Lightbulb Old saying from my army days...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm
    This guy has a minor learning disability. Hopefully he wises up.
    Well......TRAUMA....TEACHES! He may have to get "traumatized" before he can learn the lesson. Hope he survives that particular encounter.
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    I would not have addressed his first question and simply changed the subject altogether from there.

Him: "Are you an LEO?"
    Me: "Have you seen my jacket?"
    Him: "Your what?"
    Me: "I had a jacket here a minute ago and now it's gone."
    Him: "***?"
    Me: "If you don't return my jacket immediately, I will call the police."
    Him: "I don't know what you are talking about."
    Me: "******!!! Quit screwing around and just give it back!!!"

This works well. I have used a similar tactic with my boss when I was about to be reprimanded for something. At some point your victim will forget what he was after, throw his hands up, and walk away frustrated.

I sometimes work inside a gatehouse. Once in a while, a person will use there CCW as an I.D. After Im done taking down there info, I tell them "Its not smart to show your CCW to strangers. It has your adress on it. If I was a thief, I would know where to get my hands on some guns"

Sorry, they can tell him to leave or call a LEO to check his permit, but as far as them seeing a permit.....fugedaboudit.

Quote Originally Posted by Zundfolge
    A few thoughts.
    [*]If this "civilian" was an employee of or manager of the coffee shop I believe he would have been within his rights to ask to see the original poster's permit.
    [/list]

[/I]

I would have politely said I'm sorry but my permit has information on it I don't care to show to total strangers. If you are interested in learning how to aquire a permit of your own I will be glad to talk to you about that.
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

I'm of agreement with most here:

No, and please go and sit back down, I am under no obligation to show you my permit or to even speak with you any longer. Good Day (said like Fez says it on That 70's Show).

My remark: "Sir I am unsure as to what you mean" However, I really appreciate you seeking to speak to me on a social level but , at this time I am late for an appointment and must be going". With that exit stage, left while glancing at your watch. The guys is watching you for some reason. That is my 2cents.
    Listen, Think and React.....Nuff Said.....

Quote Originally Posted by gregarat
    I sometimes work inside a gatehouse. Once in a while, a person will use there CCW as an I.D. After Im done taking down there info, I tell them "Its not smart to show your CCW to strangers. It has your adress on it. If I was a thief, I would know where to get my hands on some guns"
    That is exactly what I was thinking.

Sounds like this guy was trying to be cool or take the law into his own hands.

I would probably be speachless for a few seconds. If not an LEO then I would refuse and tell him to leave me alone. But this is a very strange senario.

If there was a non LEO that discovered you were carrying it is probably because they are interested in guns and wouldn't care. If I saw someone carrying I woul just give a polite nod. If we were alone I might strike up a conversation. If they weren't a gun person then they are probably a sheeple and wouldn't even know what to look for.

I read some interesting comments on a local paper's blog concering this subject. Most people seemed to be surprised that if they ask to see someone's permit the permit holder could, and most likely would, refuse their request. They acted as if this was a flaw of some sort in the law.

I don't know what they are thinking. If I walked up to a total stranger and demanded to see their driver's license why would I be surprised if they told me to take a hike?
    DEMOCRACY IS TWO WOLVES AND A LAMB VOTING ON WHAT TO HAVE FOR LUNCH. LIBERTY IS A WELL ARMED LAMB CONtestING THE VOTE.

Certified Instructor for Minnesota Carry Permit
    NRA Pistol and Personal Protection Insrtuctor
    Utah Permit Certified Instructor

If he was LEO, I'd say you show me yours and I'll show you mine, ortherwise "No !"......

Senior Member Array CombatEffective's Avatar
    I would have looked at him and said, "Sir, your confrontational manner is making me a afraid for my personal safety..." and just let it hang out there.
    Shooters' Legacy

Special sections for S&W and Ruger

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Links