Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

This is a discussion on Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit! within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; OK...I am posting this here on CombatCarry as it is already running the various "forums circuit" through Copy & Paste or a link back. Credit ...

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

Administrator

Question Bizarre A Civilian Asks To See Your Permit!

OK...I am posting this here on CombatCarry as it is already running the various "forums circuit" through Copy & Paste or a link back.

Credit goes to ABC3 on 1911Forum.
    Here is the story as posted. All Comments Welcome.

Civilian asked to see my "carry permit"

What, is this forums opinion and what would be the correct way to handle this situation:

After all of these years - this has never happened to me:

I was setting in a coffee shop, this morning reading the paper and enjoying a cup of coffee. (just for clarification, I had on shorts, flip flops and a Tommy Bahama shirt) Dressed pretty darn nice for a 75 degree morning in the south.

There were several people doing the same thing and afew standing at the counter ordering, to go. This shop is somewhat remote - not connected to a mall. The owner is a personal friend of mine who lives 2 doors down the street from me.

As I sat there reading I guess I had my elbows on the table holding the paper and suppose my 1911 was printing, somewhat, through my shirt. (I carry at 4 o'clock). I am always aware of any situation where I might print and try to avoid the possibility. Anyway,

A rather large guy who I think was setting with several other guys at a near by table, (short hair, high and tight, - Marine Corp kinda guy, ex Marine myself) walked up and said, excuse me but are you a Law Enforcement Officer ?

I turned and said - excuse me. He again said, are you a Law Enforcement Officer ? I said no - why do you ask ? He said I think I can see the imprint of your gun and if your are not in Law Enforcement I would like to see your "carry permit".

My comment was: Are you in Law Enforcement ? He said no but I would still like to see your "carry permit".

I kinda looked up and smiled (to me it was really no big deal) and said, sir, I am carrying a concealed weapon and have done so for almost 40 years now. And I assure you, I am authorized to carry this weapon.

I don't know if he was showing off for his buddies or if he was just being an ass. But by now several people in the coffee shop was listening to what was going on.

He again said, I would like to see your "carry permit". I said, sir, with all due respect - you are not authorized to request that information.

He, very abruptly said: well then I'll call the police. I said, sir, that's fine with me but I assure you that I am authorized to carry. By this time the customers, in the coffee shop, was paying no attention to our discussion, whatsoever. The guy turned and returned to his table where his buddies were waiting. I could hear several whispers but really couldn't make them out.

To my knowledge, no calls were ever made and nothing else happened.

I finished my coffee and paper ( about 10 minutes), got up and left.

I didn't want to be a butt about this situation but there are alot of situations where one would carry a gun and not be an LEO.

What would you have done ????

Same thing or told him none of his bizz depending on mood

VIP Member
    Interesting situation. I believe I would have done the same; said something to the effect of "I don't know you" and "Sorry, not going to happen", but all politely so as not to start any confrontation.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I believe a LEO is the only one that I'm required to show my license to upon demand...I would have informed the busy-body of this fact and then asked him if he was a "Law Enforcement Officer"
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

Distinguished Member Array RSSZ's Avatar
    "Sorry sir,no comment unless you are able to produce a LEO badge and ID. Have a nice day."

There is info on my CWP that I do not want to show to just anybody.

In this case I feel that we all should be/stay as brief and to the point as possible and then just walk away(watching our back).

To me it is obvious that this guy wants a tongue fight at the least. -------

Lead Moderator
    RSSZ said pretty much the same thing I would have said, you show me yours and I'll show you mine........ Otherwise please sit down and let me finish my coffee!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

If it was me, and he said he wasn't a LEO and still being an ass, then I'd say, 'get lost, loser!' (It might not come out that nice.)

Politely refuse and calmly instruct the person to get out of my personal space.

+1 QKShooter
    It comes a time in your life when you run across someone you should have never @#$$% with. Allow me to introduce myself!

Assistant Administrator
    If as seems non LE then - some polite form of ''no - and goodbye''

Certainly unusual that's for sure.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Ditto on the above responses....

...me: are you an LEO? No? Then have a nice day sir and please have a seat....away from me preferably.

If he/she calls the police, I'd show my LEO creds to them if they responded to the scene.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Ex Member Array one eyed fatman's Avatar
    He said I think I can see the imprint of your gun
    There it is right there. I think don't cut it. Just showing off to his buddies. I would of said something like, you can think all you want but until you know don't bother me.

VIP Member
    when he asked to see your permit, I would told him to get his own or have asked to see his driver's license.

When he said he would call police...I'd have asked him if he wanted to use my phone....
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

"Would you also like to see my driver's license, registration and proof of insurance?"

Actually, sometimes I would like to ask people to see their driver's license and proof of insurance because I am pretty sure that they don't have either one.

Nick

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by one eyed fatman
    There it is right there. I think don't cut it. Just showing off to his buddies. I would of said something like, you can think all you want but until you know don't bother me.
    +1 thats a good answer!
    RKBA

John

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    You done the right thing, man. I probably would have ascertained, as did you, that he was not LEO.

At that point the discussion is over. I mean over. He can ask all the questions he wants, raise his voice, etc. But I say nothing further. Don't even make eye contact. Ignore him.

If the police come, and ask, show'em.

Others just get ignored. Completely.

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Sponsored Links