Just got the Kahr P380. problems... - Page 4

Just got the Kahr P380. problems...

This is a discussion on Just got the Kahr P380. problems... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; Originally Posted by ccw9mm My thoughts exactly. Let me also add that I'm a designated marksman in the army. I do have experience with weapons. ...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just got the Kahr P380. problems...

Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    My thoughts exactly.
    Let me also add that I'm a designated marksman in the army. I do have experience with weapons. from Mk19, M2A1 to 9mm pistols.

anyways, check out this video that I made, maybe it will help a bit

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AV_9sRTmKn8

Notable quotes from the Kahr Pistols Operating Manual (kahrmanual.pdf). Things to think about related to the various bad behaviors described.

1. On page 21 of the manual:

Quote Originally Posted by KahrManual
    "If problems occur during assembly, remove the Slide and recheck the instructions above. If the Slide will not go smoothly onto the Frame, do not force it as this could cause damage and may void the Warranty."
    Do you happen to be having this problem as well, in which the slide sticks to the point of failing to move during disassembly or reassembly? I've had a devil of a time with my original PM9 (since sold) and my P380 with this issue. The manual says to disassemble and reattempt the normal procedures, to clear the problem. Tough, when it won't disassemble. More than once I've had to give up and simply come back to it the next day, since it was so fully jammed up on itself due to inability to either get the slide to go back into battery or to slide off the frame. No explanations from Kahr as to why. It slowly stopped being such a pain on the PM9, though the P380 is still cranky about this.

2. The instructions on page 14 about How The Kahr Pistol Functions indicates:

2. Keeping finger off the trigger, cock pistol by pulling slide fully to its rearmost position and letting it run forward. The pistol is now partially cocked, i.e. the striker spring is partially tensioned. The trigger is fully forward.
    and yet, the instructions on page 16 about Loading And Firing describe:

Insert the magazine into the magazine well at the base of the grip until the magazine catch engages fully.

Pull the slide fully to the rear and lock it back using the Slide Stop. Next push down on the Slide Stop to chamber the first round into the barrel. Do not chamber a round by pulling back on the slide and letting go of the slide. This may cause the slide to not go fully into battery.
    Interesting that the instructions describe the "slingshot" method as how the pistol functions, yet also warns it's not how the first cartridge should be chambered. Strange, when a method common to every other semi-auto pistol of similar design has no issue with this.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Ok, thanks for the video, it cleared up a lot of things represented only by what I saw. First, you cannot successfully slow rack any Kahr with consistently. The Kahr is so small because of an offset feed system that requires a snappy feed - period. So all the first part of the video with slow feed is what you would see with even the "perfect" Kahr.

The second part where you slide locked the initial round, then slingshotted the rest, you are pinching the back of the slide exactly as the instructional video said NOT to do as it results in fail to feed. It's very clear about palming the slide and forcefully ramming it back and out of your hand. You simply cannot have any hesitation in that move. In my case the slide serrations were so sharp I checked for blood after I ripped it out of my hand. Just so you know, my Colt Commander is comfortably racked just about any way you want to, but it's full sized and the slide feels like it goes all the way to my elbow. The Colt is like a big old dog laying in front of the fire. The Kahr is like a mean SOB guard dog on a long chain. You cannot treat them the same.

Because the Kahr's are feed sensitive, check out your feed ramp for smoothness or flaws. Many folks here polish the ramps, a few of us go overboard with a mirror shine, but making it slick is good. If you have anything like automotive polish you might hit it a couple licks and see if it isn't smoother. It is nickle plated stainless and will take a shine, but don't get overly aggressive. If you just want to get an instant taste of it, smear a light film of oil on it and rack a mag.

You didn't mention the extractor catching the rim in your video. I know the unsuccessful slingshot can spit the round into the gap ahead of the slide and the extractor misses. It was described to me like squirting a watermelon seed between the fingers. It a timing issue which requires the mag to release the round just as the slide approaches so the rim kicks up into the extractor. I am concerned that your slamming the slide home may have damaged the extractor. It is not designed to ride over the rim to hook it. That's why you cannot stick a round in the chamber then release the slide. So please check it.

If all this works out to here, please do the towel thing I mentioned, if only to rule out limp wristing.

Although a very small sample, your video encourages me that it can do want we all hope it does the next trip to the range. I normally only shoot 100 rounds because my hand gets tired. I don't carry 100rds for a gunfight so I really don't need to shoot more than that in one range trip. But then I'm an old guy.

ok, this towel thing.... how do I do this?

roll up a towel, put it on the stand, rest the bottom of the grip on the towel, and shoot?

The towel thing is nothing more than a hand rest to help you positively eliminate limp wrist in diagnosing the issues. Keep the gun butt on the towel and you should not have a limp wrist.

I shoot in an indoor pistol range with bays and metal shooting shelf. If this is not like your setup then don't worry about it. The thing is don't allow the gun to flip up and to the right. After a lot orf rounds I have to focus on my weak hand gripping tighter or I do it.

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    taseal - hope you get your p380 to work for you. Mine never did -- it was light striking just like yours. I sent it back to the factory, they replaced the barrel and sent it back to me. I took it to the range and it was light striking worse than before. I have included a link to the thread below for your reading "enjoyment". Anyway, I have never had that much trouble trying to get a weapon to work and gave up after sending it to Kahr. I am now the proud owner of a Rohrbaugh. It will shoot anything and after 600 rounds has never failed to go bang when I pulled the trigger

Wish you luck with yours and hope it starts working (man that is a scary thing to say about a weapon you are trusting your life with)!!

http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...ange-test-FAIL
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Light strike was a horrible experience for me...scent a target about 20 yards down. Slowly pulled the trigger and all 4 rounds I put in the mag had light strikes! Every single round! If that was a self defense situation I would have had better luck if I threw the gun at the bg. Or woulda been dead lol...

Ok guys,

came back from the range. Got some Remington UMC JHP ammo as that's what Kahr said they use in the P380 for testing. Well... Went to the range and the pistol performed flawlessly!!!! I shot 66 more rounds today, and I got 1 light strike, 2 FTEs and that was it! I'm very happy now. I'm still not as accurate as I would like to be with this pistol, but at 25 yards I can hit a normal letter size paper in the center pretty good. I'd say 2-3 inch grouping at 15 yards for now.... I think it's the sights, I'm not a fan of these sights, and I'm used to the 3 dot style... so I might get the trijicon night sights, or maybe get that XS Big dot since that would serve it's purpose pretty well for this pistol...

overall, I'm very happy with this pistol now that I figured the problem out, I know it wasn't my limp wristing this thing, it was some ****** ammo....

I took a picture of the previous ammo I was using, and I want you guys to look at the cartridge's rim. If you look closely, it actually has a diff style rim, and the catridge itself is actually a tiny bit shorter. I'm assuming since this pistol is picky to begin with, that's why this thing wasn't feeding properly and since it's a bit shorter, that explains the primer not going off either...

One on the left is the Lelliot 92gr. Right side is Remington UMC JHP 88gr

Glad it's on the path to redemption. You did good by hanging in with it and working out the problems. As for the groups, 3" at 7yds will help you survive. Heck if you put them all in the same hole it may not hurt after the first one.

Quote Originally Posted by taseal View Post
    Went to the range and the pistol performed flawlessly!!!! I shot 66 more rounds today, and I got 1 light strike, 2 FTEs and that was it! I'm very happy now.

1 failure out of every 22 shots is not even close to "flawless." Certainly nowhere near reliable enough for carry purposes yet.

I hope you get your Kahr running reliably, but you're not there yet.

Keep us posted.
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Quote Originally Posted by 10thmtn View Post

1 failure out of every 22 shots is not even close to "flawless." Certainly nowhere near reliable enough for carry purposes yet.

I hope you get your Kahr running reliably, but you're not there yet.

Keep us posted.
    From what it was to what it is now, it's flawless enough :D

I still have ammo I'm gonna shoot through it, but for now I know it's capable and the problems were the ammo

Well, you tried several different brands of ammo. Seems strange that it would work better with JHPs than with FMJ. Weird.

Some guns do seem to be picky about ammo, but really, a gun should cycle any ammo that is within SAAMI spec. That's why the spec exists in the first place.

I tried Kahr 3 times, and could not get them to run to my satisfaction. I really hope you get yours working - good luck!
    The more good folks carry guns, the fewer shots the crazies can get off.
    www.armedcitizensnetwork.org - member
    Glock 30, 19, 26; Ruger SP101, LCR, LCP (2), Mini 14; Marlin 336 .30-30; Mossberg 500
    CT Lasers

Yeah we will see........

I think some more rounds through it, I'll be happy with it. if some ammo doesn't feed through it, so let it be. This is not a combat weapon./

Cool No luck with Winchester or Federal

@taseal, Thank you for your Oct 9th post with the pictures comparing ammo.

The local gun range has .380 ammo in Winchester 95gr FMJ and Federal H/S 90gr JHP.

I bought a new Kahr P380 w/Trijicon sites for $679 a couple months ago. I have exceptionally cleaned/lubed and shot 250 rounds through it. I qual'ed for my CHL with this gun, and I love it... when it goes bang when I pull the trigger

I'm simply having a high failure rate - it is practically identical to your situation: FTRB being the #1 issue, followed closely by FTF.

Have you ever shot either the Winchester or Federal ammo with any success?

I see budsgunshop has the best deal on the Remington UMC JHP, I will order that after I speak with Kahr Cust Svc on Monday. Did you have them do any work on polishing your Kahr's feed/throat or anything else, or you just switched ammo and all was well...?

Thanks
    "The will to win is more important than the skill to win"
    Kahr P380, Mossberg 500, Taurus 24/7 9mm

Nope, I didn't have them do anything to it.

I was told they use Rem UMC JHP for testing, so that's what I got. they said they also use WWB flat nose as well (which I haven't tried yet)

I shot another 100 rounds last week and it was perfect. no malfunctions expect towards the end where I had 1 or 2 light strikes... I actually even shot the crappy lellier bellot ammo at the end (I had some laying aorund) and it shot them with no problem

my advise is just rack the slide 200+ times (just keep doing it all day randomly through out the daay) and then go shoot 300-400 rounds of ammo.

it broke in nicely.

only thing I wasn't happy was that a pistol should be broken in when you get it. or you shouldn't need to break anything in... look at sigs, glocks, SW MPs...

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links