Just got the Kahr P380. problems...

This is a discussion on Just got the Kahr P380. problems... within the General Firearm Discussion forums, part of the Related Topics category; I rented one with a friend who had small hands. She hit the mag release and the next round wouldn't load. The mags on the ...

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Just got the Kahr P380. problems...

I rented one with a friend who had small hands. She hit the mag release and the next round wouldn't load. The mags on the this gun don't eject, so she would get an uneventful click when it should have fired, on every mag.

This alone kept me from recommending it to her as a carry piece.

2. Remove Ads

I've had great luck with Speer Lawman FMJ, Winchester White Box and Sellier and Bellot in my Kahr P380.

Glad you hung in there Seal. Another thousand rounds and it'll be even better. Forgive me if I missed this, but on the light strike matter, did you detail strip and clean out the striker assembly really good? I've put a few hundred rounds through my PM9, but just did the deatail strip last week and got a small pile of mettle and brass shavings from it. I haven't had a light strike but could have. They say to clean that early then every now and then and blow it out via "the hole". I'm a believer now and will be more regular in it.

same problem

I had the same problem, used all types of ammo and cleaned and lubed the weapon just as the web site stated. I even replaced the recoil springs with oem springs. I sent the weapon back to Kahr and waiting for its return next week

Mike

I don't mean to be a downer here, but you may have a lemon there....... I had a Kahr P380 and had nearly 1,000 rounds through it before I threw in the towel. As you know, 380 ammunition is not cheap! I was still having 2-3 fte every box of 50. Cleaning, lubing, changing mag springs, changing recoil spring didn't help. Hate to say it, but that little Kahr of yours may never prove reliable enough for ccw. By the time you figure that out, you could be out a lot for ammunition and have your patience severely challenged. Anyway, hope you have better luck on yours......

Senior Member Array sonnycrocket's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by crue2009 View Post
    just my opinion but 35-40 jams out of 50,that's a really high failure rate even during break-in..seems to me something else is going on with the gun other then just a cleaning issue.i hope that's all it is, but that's about a 80% failure rate.i have heard other p380 owners mention, that some brands of.380 ammo did not cycle very well through this gun.. i'd try a few different brands,if possible and see what happens..if you still continue to have problems after the 200 round break-in,i'd contact Kahr and see what they have to say!!
    agreed...every pistol I own has hit the range right out of the box,just a wipe down with a rag and thats all
    2 of 25 failed to run and I fixed them both my own self and cleaning had nothing to do with it..I CCW a Kahr and its
    basically a glock copy and should run all day long out of the box but you failed to say what the gun was doing during
    its failure -as for ammo I only shoot reloads

Kahr P380 Releiability Issues

I recently purchased a Kahr P380 from a local gun shop. The gun had been in their display for a while but since I had recently purchased a Kahr PM9 that I and very pleased with, I thought the P380 would be a good investment, too. After firing over 600 rounds and continuous malfunctions such as the slide locking open before the magazine empties, failure to feed properly and faulure to eject properly, I sent the gun back to Kahr. I just sent it so I expect to wait a few weeks to hear from them.

My question: is there a serial number string that seems to have more problems that other issues of P380s?

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    The tolerances are tight because it is a high quality pistol built by craftsmen who know what they are doing....

Sorry, but I have to disagree with this. After working in the manufacturing industry for many years I can tell you that "tight tolerances" would result in a flawless firearm. In fact in would appear that Kahr has sloppy tolerances that allow for interference fits which result in poor function.

For my part I have had disasterous performance from my Kahr CM9. After recieving it back from the factory for warranty service I still experience nose down failure to feed problems. I am now waiting for a replacement recoil spring assembly due to the nut on mine falling off affter a trip to the range.

As soon as I receive the replacement parts I will be trading this piece of junk in for a KelTec PF9...

Teasel

Any updates on your kahr 380?
    Phillipians 4:13
    Go Gators/Wildcats!!
    Glock Cert. Armorer

Quote Originally Posted by Super J View Post
    Teasel

Any updates on your kahr 380?
    Hey bud.

I sold the pistol and let the person deal with the warranty stuff and troubleshoot it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

Quote Originally Posted by SteveB2175 View Post
    As soon as I receive the replacement parts I will be trading this piece of junk in for a KelTec PF9...
    That's what I did and I'm very happy. Only thing I did was have a member here gunkote the slide for me because it's got very poor finish. Ohhh and the Northwood trigger. Nice addition

I never have problems with it, and it is great little 9. Thinking about getting it np3+ coated inside and out to further improve corrosion resistance and lubricity. It's my BUG and my shorts pocket gun when I don't want a holstered gun.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk 2

My follow-up...after 4 weeks at Kahr they sent my P380 back to me after replacing almost everything in the slide. I took it to the range with 4 different types of ammo (200 rounds)...before I sent it back to Karh it took both hands to release the magazine, now the magazines come loose while firing the handgun. The other issues is that the slide stays open before the magazine is empty. The other problems I had seem to be resolved.

I have sent the Kahr P380 back to Kahr again in hopes of getting back a handgun that is reliable enough to carry as a CCW. I guess in four weeks I will know.

I offered three solutions to Kahr 1. make my P380 reliable 2. replace my P380 with one that is reliable 3. authorize the shop that sold me the Kahr P380 to return the money I paid for it. I hope the first solution is the outcome because when the Kahr P380 fires, it is extremely accurate and fun to shot.

I had the same issues discussed throughout this thread - the majority being failures to return to battery. This happened with UMC, Winchester White Box, Federal, Tula, and Wolf FMJ range ammo as well as the box of 20 Cor-Bon DPX I shot through it.

It has been back to Kahr once and they've replaced the magazines, cam, and polished the feed ramp. Still has FTRB's and some odd failuresabout 10% of the time. I have roughly 300 rounds through it since it's been back from Kahr. I'm still going to keep hoping I can get it to function reliably, but I agree with KahrP380's demands that Kahr make it right or pay me back.

Rack It!!!!!!!!!

Relying on most reviews and supposed personal experiences to decide what you want to carry for possible self preservation is like getting a mail order bride; it is hard enough when you can fondle it, carress it, feed it, load it, and grow old with it when it is in your hands; let alone from a picture or some typewritten words.
    Unfortunately such a very small percentage will practice/run enough ammo through their guns that they will never be broken in (and the owners will not be proficient enough to properly use them either).

I only hit the range at least twice a month anymore, have been actively shooting since 1973, have a few handguns, carry a .380 daily (due to the climate where I reside) and feel I am qualified to comment on this subject.

I have had my Colt Detective Special since 1974 and my J frame airweight since 2000. I finally broke own and bought a KelTec .380 in 2010 because I moved to a climate where we wear shorts and very light clothing. I recently purchased a Kar P380.

Get a new gun, take it out of the box, break it down, lube it, and then sit in front of your TV and while empty rack the slide a few hundred times. When you can comfortably move your hands/fingers take break it down and gently take Jewler's rouge and polish the slide and ramp removing all micro burs and debris. Clean and lube it. Repeat every day for 3 days before firing it.

I hear/read nightmares about the Kel Tecs jamming, the P380's too tightly sprung, etc. Both my pocket pistols "eat" 92 grain FMJ Russian Kypu, 92 grain Sellier & Bellot FMJ, and 88 grain Remington JHP for target shooting. For carry I run both Hornady Critical Defense and Magtech Guardian Gold. I trust both of these guns to continue to perform flawlessly.

The P380 with 250 rounds through it is ready to make it's debut as my 'other' carry. If anything occurs other than positive results I will re-comment.

Miky

ps: my KelTec likes it a little moist,,,,,,,,,,and I lube them both with 'Strike Hold"

After Kahr returned my P380 for the second time is seeems to be working fine. I have fired about 200 rounds and the only issue was one time the slide locking open before the magazine was empty.

Kahr send details of the work they did both times but trying to find out the status of the repairs after several weeks was a disappointment. The person who finally did answer my call refused to give me any information or connect me to anyone who could give me information...they were just plain rude. I will say I was persistent about getting an update but not rude. I simply stated that I spent a lot of money to purchase a quality handgun and felt that I should be given information regarding their progress in correcting the issues...the person who took my call simply told me I would be contacted when it was ready to be shipped. I will need to cycle more rounds to be confident that this is a reliable CCW.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Links